A bridge too far ?

MJB1

What your pa saw was the famous (!) Deere Swimming Tractors - they use a ro ro barge to transport to the PTCC/Roro at Rotterdam from Mannheim, thence for transport to the States.

Also some US equipment finds its way back upriver.

The continentals are far ahead of us on riverine transport.

see:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/compinfo/envtsafety/innovation/swim.html

Sorry TM but your reaction is the standard one in this country where we do not have an efficient waterway transport system. ?On mainland Europe the rivers and canals make up a highly efficient, effective and economic transport system. ? For example you can travel from Budapest on the Danube to Rotterdam on the Rhine by the river/canal system with a good sized boat the size of our coastal craft. ?In addition, their barges are way bigger than our narrow boats. ?I once paddled assault craft down the Rhine and we had a few hairy moments with some very large craft. ?If time is not critical then water has a strong part to play in transport. ? IMHO it is a lesson we could learn on environmental grounds.

i never knew the rivers over there were that big fenryk,cheers for the info,i did see a program the other day about airbus and how they get all the parts of the new big A380 into the plant in central france,and they take it by river inland nearly 120 milesfrom the bay of biscay coast somewhere  before the last 130 mile 3 day trip  by road to the factory,heck of a sight

tellarin

Also some US equipment finds its way back upriver.

on a barge or by accident?i have to ask ;) ;)