Cullies Farm

smallclaas

They really do look realistic and it's great to see real scale big mature trees in a layout. Cracking.  ;)

Thanks Jdc  :)

I'd echo Tris' response but it sounds creepy.... it is fantastic though Garrett....  ;D

How come the lanes are cut in so deep...is that based on something or just by default? The finish is lovely though, and those trees have been worth every second of the time you've put in, they look great.... maybe you should make them to sell... ;)

Thanks Simon, Yes the lanes are based on a local farm, as is the entire layout, The plaster has yet to be painted so I think it's a little bit of an illusion as to how deep they are also I think the original lanes were cut deeper a few years ago, as there is soft ground in this area.

As for selling the trees, only problem there like the sheds I don't think the postman would be to kind to them. When I was doing the sheds for sale, I found the market was across the water and getting them there was a pain so I quit  :'(

looking really well

Thanks archtech  :)

The trees look excellent in their new home on your layout Garret, Really nice to see proper looking varieties , rather than the normal "generic" trees - well worth the time and effort :)

Thanks MDFord, I was going to just buy the Schleich trees, but they were about €15.00 each and all the same shape so I decided to take this route, I'm happy with the way they turned out just a few more and I'm done  :)

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looking excellent here! any chance of seeing some pics of daily duties on the farm like feeding etc, possibly some dry cows or heifers seeing as the cows arn't being milked yet ???

thanks! 8)

Will do Matty, all these construction pics are getting rather boring  ;) As for milking the cows I'll get back to that one soon. I'll get a chance over the weekend to take a few overall pics with a few farming shots  :)

Will do Matty, all these construction pics are getting rather boring  ;) As for milking the cows I'll get back to that one soon. I'll get a chance over the weekend to take a few overall pics with a few farming shots  :)

Sorry Matty got a little distracted this weekend, I was working with the plaster on a bit of landscaping and came up with the idea of trying to pour a shed, here's the result.

It's just a test at the moment to see if it could be done, needs a little tidying up.

post-77-132638968962_thumb.jpg

post-77-132638968971_thumb.jpg

The shed is going to have a slatted feed passage and a straw yard area at the rear for cows and calves. I'm going to try the same method using Plastruct I beams, I think the overall result should look good. It takes a little longer to do the walls with plaster, as you have to fill the shuttering and vibrate the shutter walls to settle the plaster. I used a Dremel to vibrate the shutter, just ran it along the outside and the plaster sunk in layers.

The shuttering was made using Hardboard coated with PVA glue so that the plaster would not stick to the hardboard.

post-77-132638968976_thumb.jpg

Blown away yet again, Garret. What a fantastic idea, realised to a pretty high standard too. Are they poured in situ then Garret? Could a mould make it easier?

Concrete beams and purlings next then. 80's style concrete span sheds. ;)

Blown away yet again, Garret. What a fantastic idea, realised to a pretty high standard too. Are they poured in situ then Garret? Could a mould make it easier?

Concrete beams and purlings next then. 80's style concrete span sheds. ;)

Yes Tris, just the same as the real thing, structure first then put the shuttering up around the structure and pour away. I did try to make a few other structural components with plaster, but sometimes it's not strong enough. I don't know how this shed will work out yet as the plaster can crack after a few days of drying. I had thought of doing the structure in plaster but I think it might be too weak. I might try cement or floor tile grout as they might be a little more durable.

Have you thought about using flexible floor tile adhesive for tiles used with underfloor heating?

It should resist cracking as it dries out, and I can vouch for it being hard as nails  :D

I presume you can buy it ready mixed in tubs, I've only had it in bags to mix myself though....

Have you thought about using flexible floor tile adhesive for tiles used with underfloor heating?

It should resist cracking as it dries out, and I can vouch for it being hard as nails  :D

I presume you can buy it ready mixed in tubs, I've only had it in bags to mix myself though....

Must try that Simon, the slats are made from resin, I tried to make them with plaster but they just broke-up when I removed them from the mould. Thanks for that tip  ;)

looking good, did u try Post Crete drys really quick, no hangin' about  ;)

As long as it does'nt dry too quick! it took me an hour to pour and vibrate this short bit. Where would I get Crete post Wee Nash?

this looks like it is going to be another master piece

Thanks Pete  :)

smart idea g, never seen them poured onsite though, only made off site and lifted in after dry, but i guess that way is easier if you get the spacing out on the uprights

Fairly common construction practice in this pasrt of the world, Sean last farm building Grants this year saw alot of sheds going up here. Up North there is alot more sheds constructed in the precast way, here though it still tends to be shuttered and poured. This Summer seeing all the shuttering gave me the idea to try it sometime in 1/32. Ok now to demolish my existing layout and start again  ;D

Must try that Simon, the slats are made from resin, I tried to make them with plaster but they just broke-up when I removed them from the mould. Thanks for that tip  ;)

As long as it does'nt dry too quick! it took me an hour to pour and vibrate this short bit. Where would I get Crete post Wee Nash?

builders yard mate or B&Q may do it, its in a blue and yellow bag  ;)

looking good garrett must be the way mate to get the real effect , i have thought along these lines myself i wondered if cement and the sand you use to sweep block paving in with ,would give you a little stronger mix ,if the shuttering with the pva sticks a little try cooking oil will pull of clean as you like , just ideas fella , look forward to the buildings  ;)

very good idea garret!! very realistic, no shed is 100% anyway 8)

don't worry about the farm pics mate, take your time pal ;)

I get a few yard work shots done soon  ;)

looks great mate !!

how do you make the slats,  ;)

Made the slats using resin, I made a master in MDF first and formed a mould out of liquid rubber. The mould only lasted for about 12 slats and then fell apart  >:(

You could try using wire/ welding rods to make rebar to offer more support.

Looks great though Garret.

Thanks, I used dowels in the walls for support and strenght so far all looks good no cracks anyway.

looking good garrett must be the way mate to get the real effect , i have thought along these lines myself i wondered if cement and the sand you use to sweep block paving in with ,would give you a little stronger mix ,if the shuttering with the pva sticks a little try cooking oil will pull of clean as you like , just ideas fella , look forward to the buildings  ;)

Thanks for the tip Graham, I have a 2 small walls to do at the end of the shed, I'll try the cooking oil method then ;)

• 2 weeks later...

big aims you got! can i work for your dairy? :D how have you managed to collect so many cows over your time but, like the britains ones must cost on average 1 pound per cow!! this layout has realy given me the buzz to make a dairy unit but dont realy have the best of space nor money to buy in cows :D :D

big aims you got! can i work for your dairy? :D how have you managed to collect so many cows over your time but, like the britains ones must cost on average 1 pound per cow!! this layout has realy given me the buzz to make a dairy unit but dont realy have the best of space nor money to buy in cows :D :D

When I was a kid I used to buy a few cows every now and again so it built up over the years. I also bought in bulk off Ebay sometimes you can buy maybe 20 or so for a few quid if your lucky. Try Mandy she has some fair prices for cows.

Archived