Scaledown Model Kits

FW

Am really interested in getting into these but not sure of the skill required in tackling one and what sort of time they take from start to finnish. Any help or advice will be greatly recieved as ever. :)

JDC is the man i believe....he has loads of useful tips and even builds them for the less skillful, like Marky ;):D :D

Ben, I have reason to believe that THAT statement is pot, kettle and black, darling ;)

I have noticed you asking JDC to paint things for your recently ;)

Ben, I have reason to believe that THAT statement is pot, kettle and black, darling ;)

I have noticed you asking JDC to paint things for your recently ;)

i know :D :D :D::), mines down to time constraints!!, JDC is full of advice and skill! ;D ;D

Am really interested in getting into these but not sure of the skill required in tackling one and what sort of time they take from start to finnish. Any help or advice will be greatly recieved as ever. :)

I've built 12 Scaledown kits now.  Bought the first one when they came out.  Some have taken me years to complete!  They take a long time to get right, particularly if you are like me, a perfectionist.  All the same I've enjoyed building them and currently I'm finishing off the last few.  If I built anymore then I would go for an implement and buy the tractors ready built.  Age and eyesight ain't what they were.

Don't know your building experience but would suggest a simple kit to start with before progressing on to the more difficult ones.  I seem to recall the Fordson N wasn't too bad.  Nigel Ford would be able to give his opinion on what he thinks is the ideal starter kit.  Name of the game though is patience, particularly if you want to get it right.

i know :D :D :D::), mines down to time constraints!!, JDC is full of advice and skill! ;D ;D

Well... Mine's due to lack of ability  ;) - And I don't mind admitting it....

I'm Mark and I'm no good at scaledown kits

There... you've made me say it now.... happy  :'( :'( :'(

Hav'nt built many of these but have built the Fordson E27N crawler, MK1 MF65 and the Bolinder Munktels Volvo and have got the David Brown Selectamatic 990 standard but not started it yet.

The earlier kits were good and the current kits are really good but there was a time when the quality of the castings was quite poor as the parts needed a lot of filing to fit together properly but I think this was at a time when there was a change over in the ownership.

Hav'nt I heard somewhere that Scaledown is on the market? I did hear that someone was interested in aquiring it but when they discovered that there were no license of copyright for the kits, they pulled out.

Anyone know any details or wheather there is any actual truth in it? Perhaps Nigel could fill us in and put these 'rumours to bed'.

I have built about 8 scaledown kits before Nigel took them on I found making was quiet easy but not very good at painting them but they dont look to bad.

Thanks lad's, yes there are a few models I am interested in building and will speak to Nigel before I buy one. Anyone built a TM crawler? ??? I know ther were quite a few built-up at Spalding, but I feel that building it myself would be a much better achievement. :)

Thanks lad's, yes there are a few models I am interested in building and will speak to Nigel before I buy one. Anyone built a TM crawler? ??? I know ther were quite a few built-up at Spalding, but I feel that building it myself would be a much better achievement. :)

If you haven't done any of the kits before I would say start off with an easier kit and work your way up  ;) the TM crawler can be a bit fiddley (I found that out) doing the tracks did my head in  ::)

If you haven't done any of the kits before I would say start off with an easier kit and work your way up  ;) the TM crawler can be a bit fiddley (I found that out) doing the tracks did my head in  ::)

I bet. Have you got any pictures? ???

Yes.  Build a couple of others first before starting one of these.

I'm currently building my first Scaledown kit, an Allis B, just about got to the painting stage. My advice is buy one you fancy and have a go , you won't regret it.  Also, a tip I picked up from military modellers get a suede brush to clean up the castings before painting.

post-611-132638622893_thumb.jpg

they did then apparently....the track plates didn't go together at all well (15yrs ago you say!!) but I corrected many faults like that years ago when I took over and the regular builders told me about the problems which have all been rectified and the quality of the castings is the best in the world of white-metal kits, so I am told by professional kit builders who do cars,lorries etc aswell.

Building tips can be found on www.farmmodels.co.uk website under the SCALEdown thumbnail, scroll down to find them by yours truly. 'hope you enjoy them,.....sorry it's late to elaborate!!

they did then apparently....the track plates didn't go together at all well (15yrs ago you say!!) but I corrected many faults like that years ago when I took over and the regular builders told me about the problems which have all been rectified and the quality of the castings is the best in the world of white-metal kits, so I am told by professional kit builders who do cars,lorries etc aswell.

Building tips can be found on www.farmmodels.co.uk website under the SCALEdown thumbnail, scroll down to find them by yours truly. 'hope you enjoy them,.....sorry it's late to elaborate!!

Thank's for that Nigel......so how difficult is a TM to build then? ???

good to here you have improved them Nigel  :) been along while since I have bought and built any. Just out of intrest do you sell parts separately as I want to make a high clearance 5000/chafer sprayer and was wonderiing if the parts off the county hi-drive would ok for doing this?

good to here you have improved them Nigel  :) been along while since I have bought and built any. Just out of intrest do you sell parts separately as I want to make a high clearance 5000/chafer sprayer and was wonderiing if the parts off the county hi-drive would ok for doing this?

Or the DB Implamatic I see they do now. ;)

There was one feature of those Chafers that I remember reading about back in the day: The pivot point was always halfway between the rear wheels and the sprayer wheels, so that they would follow the same track.

Funny the things you remember!  :D

• 1 year later...