Another Farm Tragedy.

Deere-est

Machines are getting bigger and bigger but the power lines stay at the same height.  Upper Chute is just up the road from me and the owner of the farm was a schoolfriend of my husband. Unfortunately the lad who died was a contract worker who presumably did not know the area.

Do you know a woman farmer up that way, can't remember her name. . .. the contractor I work for does a lot of work up that way - Colinbourne Ducis/Kingston, Ludgershall.

Hope it didn't strike too much of a chord with you.  :-\

Guest Powerdozer

Yes last month a farm worker was killed in Tisbury wiltshire just by me when the tractor and muck spreader rolled back over him the hand brake failed very sad nice chap as well.

have you read the comments??

a farm i did a survey on, the farmer has complained numerous times to EDF to have the lines raised (i think they are the usual lines on timber poles), they havent and he said his combine is getting closer :o :o

Yes last month a farm worker was killed in Tisbury wiltshire just by me when the tractor and muck spreader rolled back over him the hand brake failed very sad nice chap as well.

every time I hear someone pull a handbrake on and it clicks up the teeth I cringe. Gradually the pawl teeth tips are getting worn away as this happens until one day they jump out of the ratchet teeth and off comes the handbrake!!! DON'T DO IT.... you have to push the button in to let it off so make a habit of pushing it in before you pull it up & let it go at the top once you've pulled it up to lock the brake on, then it won't wear out & jump off when you're not expecting it. Every driving instructor should teach this as part of driving lessons, I hope I can at least save someone from injury by passing this advice on. Even if it's to save your car running into a wall I'm pleased to be of help.

When I bought my old Dominator combine the handbrake wouldn't hold because previous drivers had not given it the respect it deserved and so I built up the teeth with hard face weld and re-profiled the teeth on both the pawl and ratchet knowing what steep hills I had to park on at times when opening up a field. Once into the field I still preferred to park across the bank if possible if I had to dismount.

Unfortunately there are still too many farm accidents.  A couple of weeks ago, a freind of mine, who takes student apprentices on the ag training scheme, had one of his students killed on the quad bike, he was riding back the road from seeing the sheep, rounded a bend and met a car and just clipped the front corner, he was thrown from the quad and cracked his head, died 3 days later in hospital.  Why oh why do they still not wear a helmet, everyone I see around here on quads, and there are a large number of them never seem to wear helmets?, you think that it would only be common sense.

Thats definately one that gets forgotten Steve. And PR your not wrong there about the helmets for quads, I think it is because it has four wheels the majority of riders feel they won't come off but as this example shows, it doesn't have to be through fault of your own that you do come off.

Am I correct in thinking that the wearing of a motorbike helmet is required by law? Quads are in the same class so we must assume the law applies here as well.  Power lines by law have to be a minimum of 17 feet above ground level, if they are not and someone is electrocuted, the Company responsible for them are liable. Also poles that carry power cables have to by law have a warning sign attached to them at eye level, again, the Company is responsible.

Does anyone remember their College days and being taught the correct way to erect an electric stock fence in the vicinity of power lines? There have been several fatalaties with these over the years.

Am I correct in thinking that the wearing of a motorbike helmet is required by law? Quads are in the same class so we must assume the law applies here as well.  Power lines by law have to be a minimum of 17 feet above ground level, if they are not and someone is electrocuted, the Company responsible for them are liable. Also poles that carry power cables have to by law have a warning sign attached to them at eye level, again, the Company is responsible.

Does anyone remember their College days and being taught the correct way to erect an electric stock fence in the vicinity of power lines? There have been several fatalaties with these over the years.

Quads are not in the same claas as motorbikes they are classed as cars and as such you dont have to wear a helmet whilie riding them.

I remember a few years ago down where I used to live there was a young guy electrocuted when he climbed up onto the top of his combine from the cab to walk over the grain tank back to the engine bay to check the oil and press in the excess fuel button for a cold start. He had not noticed that he parked up under low wires the night before. All this was to save taking down the access ladder at the back and save time. He was also the farmers only son which made it even worse for the family.

when I was young I can remember someone getting electrocuted when they was moving a "laruoo" (think thats how you spell it) touched a powercable. and for all you young ones a "laruoo" was a graet big irrigation sprinkler boom that you would attach to an irrigation reel with an engine and drive system underneath it so you could move it.

I have to say that the electricity boards really do need to take a closer look at power lines in fields more often. I have had numerous close ones whilst using the Lexion in the past 5 years, in one case not even being able to get under them with the tank closed up as they were level with the cab roof, the only way to cut the barley was the same way as the lines ran in those places, baler man wasn't too impressed but there was no way i was going any nearer to them. Several times i have stopped when I have had a problem and had to move because looking above I could see I was too near wires. I guess at times I was over cautious but you hear of too many fatalities these days involving them not to in my opinion

I think the HSE ought to be taking the electricity boards to task.  A client recently had an HSE inspection and one of the main areas they were looking at was NOTICES about overhead cables.  He had, fortunately, made a reference to the cables in his forms and safety statements so the inspector was well pleased.

I don't think ths is enough and believe that the HSE should be making the case to the power companies before another tragedy occurs.  After all they bully everyone else about Health & Safety matters.

Quads are not in the same claas as motorbikes they are classed as cars and as such you dont have to wear a helmet whilie riding them.

The last time I went to a H.S.E. "come and visit us before we visit your place" days the guy who was going on about quad bike safety did recommend using gloves and a suitable helmet, open front type rather than full face visor job so you could still have some side vision and be able to hear as he told us that an unseen charging bull knocked a man off his quad when he wore a full face helmet 'cos he didn't see or hear it coming at him from the side  :o  On the power lines I was working carting silage on two different places this summer where the wires between buildings were so low you had to make sure the trailers were fully lowered before leaving the pit area or you would catch in them  :( They should have been raised up on taller poles or better still buried underground instead, they might have been alright at that height 40 years ago but not today with the bigger machinery that is used in modern farming

Here are some good links to look at on the subject.

http://www.googlesyndicatedsearch.com/u/HSEC?q=power+lines&sa=Go

http://www.googlesyndicatedsearch.com/u/HSEC?q=quad+bikes&sa=Go

Type whatever you want information on in the site search box, this is a very informative site and will tell you everything on safetey legislation everyone should know and be aware of.

The last time I went to a H.S.E. "come and visit us before we visit your place" days the guy who was going on about quad bike safety did recommend using gloves and a suitable helmet, open front type rather than full face visor job so you could still have some side vision and be able to hear as he told us that an unseen charging bull knocked a man off his quad when he wore a full face helmet 'cos he didn't see or hear it coming at him from the side  :o   On the power lines I was working carting silage on two different places this summer where the wires between buildings were so low you had to make sure the trailers were fully lowered before leaving the pit area or you would catch in them  :( They should have been raised up on taller poles or better still buried underground instead, they might have been alright at that height 40 years ago but not today with the bigger machinery that is used in modern farming

Last autumn we visited several farms on maize silage jobs, one inparticular we actually removed the wire with one of the trailers as it was right across the front of the clamp, poor positioning of a temporary clamp by the farmer and our manager :-\