780 still going strong

MJB1

i happened to come across this litte feller on friday , a MASSEY FERGUSON 780 special

With batteries ready to die in my camera i managed to get one pic only . it belongs to a chap called Mr Colwill at st stephens , nr. launceston, & uses it to cut approx 25 acres for his own wheat & barley feed thus saveing on ever increasing feed costs, bought by his father  in 65 it still turns out every season for it's tasks, parts are getting a bit hard to come by, mainly belts  but the perkins engine is still going strong with nothing other than an oil & filter changes every year  :)

post-211-132638640049_thumb.jpg

he doesn't know how many hrs it's done , the clock is damaged 7 couldn't see any readable digits , the corn is hauled away in a 4t wheatly trailer hauled by a leyland 272 turbo & baled with a class constant baler , a 35X loads bales , but is currently split for a clutch replacement . this is the best bit about my job i get to meet some great people with real character , he said i was welcome to see it working next week , but i'll be working , but he also has an old cider press & has invited me down in the second week in november to see it all working  :)

That brings back some memories.

Way back we had a 780S with a BMC Newage 6cyl petrol/TVO engine, I used to come home from school and then head off out in the fields to ride around on the tool box.......it always seemed so much more dusty in those days.

I remember ...........earwigs in the corn "don't touch them, they'll bite you", pulling the offloader lever when they wanted to bag corn off in to those West-of-England sacks, the smell of the sisal baler cord they used to tie the sacks, father cleaning the manifold off with his pocket knife for fire prevention, the wooden con-rod knife drive breaking in grassy crops, trying to understand how the notched traction lever made the combine go faster and why the tyres looked bigger on the combine than they did on the Dexta.

Ahh memories, ehh ;-)