tractor hours

batcher

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlikely to be a 40 series Luke - 7610 would be nice but they are over rated - a Fiat or Deutz would probably tick most of the boxes e.g 90-90, 100-90 or 110-90 or Deutz DX 90, 6.05, 6.06 or 4.51 ;)

Would be very tempted by a Case/IH 956XL though ;D

Unlikely to be a 40 series Luke - 7610 would be nice but they are over rated - a Fiat or Deutz would probably tick most of the boxes e.g 90-90, 100-90 or 110-90 or Deutz DX 90, 6.05, 6.06 or 4.51 ;)

Would be very tempted by a Case/IH 956XL though ;D

Why are you turning down one of the best selling tractor lines in the world?

maybe its over there budget ;):) as they may not need the tractor that much and the price may not be justified ;):)

That would be part of the reason plus in our opinion Ford stopped making tractors like we know them after the 10 series - know several who have had big trouble with 40 series 7740 and 7840's in particular :(

Far different story here, 6640 at my ex-work was a gem never had a spanner put on her, still hasn't up to 7500hr now, our 7740 on the feeder wagon at college had over 10.000hrs on it, clocked stopped, and although ragged out was still fine mechanically.

The older white roofed ones with less electricals are a sound buy Colm. ;)

Far different story here, 6640 at my ex-work was a gem never had a spanner put on her, still hasn't up to 7500hr now, our 7740 on the feeder wagon at college had over 10.000hrs on it, clocked stopped, and although ragged out was still fine mechanically.

The older white roofed ones with less electricals are a sound buy Colm. ;)

i think that applies to most tractors no luke, our old 165 was bought from new, still on the farm when they sold up, bar tyres, which are fair wear, and given norfolk/suffolk flint, easilly knackerd, all it has was regular servicing, end of storey,given it must have been 20 years old at least, think it was a n palte. old style, i waould say it gave very very good service, most of the modern stuff no matter what make aint built to last now, hours are probally far less on these when scrapped than most oldies from say pre mf3000 age when computers ect really came in

powerstar is right about the 40s  ;) our blue top 7840 has done around 6200 hours and nothing has gone except when you put your boot down too quick on the revs she will lose drive and you have to dip the clutch  ::) but the dealer said that will be fixed when the tractor finishes the verges on the council  ;) as they will bring there computer and plug it in  :D but that all thats gone  ;) the first 40's that came out had trouble with the sl gear box  ::) the basic one  :D and the sle was no trouble  :D so if any of you do go for a 40 go for a late white up to blue top cab  :)  ;D

Nothing wrong with the white roofed SL gearbox Rich, just driver error!

If you 'raced' between gears ie. was forceful diagonal shifting from 2nd to 3rd it would sometimes lock up. Not such a big job take the panelling off and flick a spring back, or sometimes the actual lever would jam down the bottom. The only downside is the paint on them, not very heat resistant, and where it is above the exhaust manifold will just be black with no paint atall half the time, Also they seem to have hell of a jumpy clutch. I really like the 40 series, such a good all rounder, I agree with you aswell Sean, your totally right, I was pointing out to Colm that the older 40 series are the ones to buy, although they reckon the late blue roofed SLE's are a proper tractor, but out of your budget Colm?

At least you can't do operator error with the SLE box very easily...

You know what they say: There's Drivers, & Then There's Steering Wheel Assistants!

well my cuzin bought a white roof 7840 sl ,when the first 40's came out and he had loads of trouble and he never harmed the machine he looked after it as if it was his child  ;) and the dealer said in the end it would be easier and cheaper to put an sle gearbox in  ;) and i have heard that a few dealers did the same as there was loads of trouble with the sl's  :-\ the gears jam on our 7840 somtimes too  :-\ just push into a gear and pull it out slow and she pops out  :-\ ;):)

okay our

Inter b275 has done 7000 and the hour clocks broken, breaths a bit but brillant tractor

Inter 354 has only done 2702 hours bless her she worked on a caravan site near the sea though so has skin complanits  :D

And our Mf 165 has done 5000hours alough it doesnt look like it has done that  :) :)