Setaside's going (so Tris says)... discuss here...

Lord Ferguson

I think the current requirement is for farmers to have 6 or 8% of there acreage as setaside but Tris is correct, the EU are abolishing COMPULSORY set aside but as far as I know it will still be optional as it can be helpful in a rotation. What has caused this is the Entry/Higher level schemes as the farmers get paid to take anything up to the whole acreage out of production which with some uptake is getting the EU worried so I was told.

Certain crops, like OSR for bio fuels can be grown on set aside but a lot of farmers don't bother as there isn't a large enough market for it yet :-\

On the subject of vegetable production they are also removing the vegetable dispensation system from the single farm payment so more land can be used for the production of these crops (in the Farmers Weekly this week)

You can keep them in setaside but will get a minimal payment for it. It is the wildlife increase that will suffer when they remove them. I have noticed in recent years a large increase in the finch population, not to mention all other forms of creatures that have benefited from these areas.

I've done a lengthy post on the Bio fuels topic but just to clarify what information I have been sent by the AEA re. seta side is as follows

The EU farming ministry have backed the commission to scrap the set a side by 2008 season. the final decision will be made before the end of Aug (haven't had the conclusion yet)  The environmentalists have expressed their concerns and so it seems that a compromise may be made where the area is reduce not abolished.

So the decision may have been made but it seems that even if it is abolished it isn't until next year.

I don't know how much people know about it but just to confirm that setaside can be either rotational or fixed so you will see land ploughed up this time of year as they will be leaving another field elsewhere.

Some farmers around me leave all the headlands and bad parts of the fields permentally to speed up harvests and cultivation. 

Hope this helps - perhaps someone willl find out the conclusion  :);)

personaly i think importing any thing from over seas is bad!!! as the british could be self sostaned... support the little red tractor

but i also do quite like the odd bit of nz lamb as ive not found anything to match the quality over heer

kiwi

this set aside job is good and bad a lot of farmers have set a lot of there worst feilds the ones that and 20 acres have 15 coners inthem and 4 poles and pit  tip thing or the feilds a so wet it is a hard job to get on them only at sorton time s of the year when it is right dry it a good thing becuse of these swtard hip schems and the greeneys that if they drive thought the country side and dont sees a great spotted tit then it ant there and the farmers get the blame for it not being there so it will tidy the country side up a bit frams might start taking care in trhere work again sooon because at the mo it a right mess after all farming is the last industry we have in tghis country and its about time the goverment  did something to help us like what the frence do for theres sorry to run on but it veery close to my haret and this i the way i see farming going do the plug hole

I'm glad it was introduced in the intensive farming climate we have today, it showed the farmers that fallow fields still have a place in the most modern and efficient of cropping plans. As it has been a scheme run for quite a few years I hope farmers protect themselves and kind of self regulate their cropping rotations to include set-a-side to sustain their own market place. A fallow field gives you much more choice than one which is planted!!

My dealings with setaside..........

A few years back I worked for a fairly forward thinking cereal grower in sweden who by law had to have 10% of his cropable area down in setaside.

To get around this law he rented some wet odd shaped land from his farther to bring his cropable area up and he just left the crapy land in setaside and keep non stop cropping his beter land.

His thoughts on setaside were that the weeds got away on you when you had setaside in diffrante paddocks each year and that the fertility on hungry soils that had been stored up from slurry and granular fert was lost to a degree.

Similar on the 500ac beef arable farm where I was driving the TX32 this year. The pics of the 6900 topping and hedgetrimming were at his other land up near Winchcombe in Gloucestershire where he hails form. I think it is about 150ac. He put's all of that in set-a-side and meadow grass schemes so the worry of including it in the 500ac at home is forgotton and he can get on with farming it.

• 2 months later...

noticed a few fields that have been SaS for a few years, more like 5 plus have now been ploughed and drilled recently, not sure if they have been bought by someone or re-activated!!

Will have to keep an eye on the area as there are still many more fields that were used recently that havent been ploughed yet :)

noticed a few fields that have been SaS for a few years, more like 5 plus have now been ploughed and drilled recently, not sure if they have been bought by someone or re-activated!!

Will have to keep an eye on the area as there are still many more fields that were used recently that havent been ploughed yet :)

not unusal ben, lots still unploughed down here, some even have bales still in them