One for the soft fruit growers - sulphuric acid?

James T

I was over near Longforgan between Perth and Dundee this afternoon and took some photographs of the Angus Soft Fruits fields there.  One field had a very small notice attached to date advising no-one to enter as it had been sprayed with sulphuric acid...the sign was easily missed but was very faded and had obviously been there for some time.  I took the shot below of a large tank at the side of the field.  Can anyone tell me why acid would be used?  To prolong the life of the fruit?  Any ideas welcome!

AcidWarningSignAngusSoftFruitsnearL.jpg

I THINK... it kills off the flies etc.. As Sulphur is a natural chemical... it's widely used in Organic farming...

Strange fact for your here.. Organic fruit contains far greater "metals" than conventionally grown fruit...  ;)

ORGANIC is not always the best for you...

I THINK... it kills off the flies etc.. As Sulphur is a natural chemical... it's widely used in Organic farming...

Strange fact for your here.. Organic fruit contains far greater "metals" than conventionally grown fruit...  ;)

ORGANIC is not always the best for you...

Why is that then Mark??

Why is that then Mark??

I must start this of with SO I AM TOLD  :D

But... conventionally grown fruit tends to be sprayed for specific things... ie. Chemicals are only applied to specific targeted problems.  Organic fruit tends to be sprayed with Sulpher (and magnesium ???) on a regular basis to prevent disease and bugs occuring... to this end it tends to have a much higher "metal level" in the fruit than conventional...

I know the Governments free fruit for school scheme got in a LOT of hot water over the metals in pears a couple of years ago for this reason  :-\

I got the information above from one of our growers recently... so I believe it to be factual - could be propoganda I guess... but he must have some proof to make that statement I'm sure  :-\

By the look of the analysis on the label and that it is from 'Hortifeeds' I would suggest that it is used as a fertiliser, which like Marky said may also have insecticidal properties.  It takes me back to the days when in Strawberries we used to use Methyl Bromide as a soil sterilant - very nasty stuff.

Also in Organic systems you are permitted (if I am right) to use 'organic' fertilisers such as Sulphur, Magnesium (like Marky said) and Copper, each of which have fungicidal and/or nutritional properties.  Funny thing is that they are inorganically formulated so are almost the same as spraying Ag Chem ::) ::)::)

Thanks for the info, the way this reads to me is that Organic food in any great quantity is probably not good for us then.  :-\

Who knows?????  The thing is with conventional produce there is a lot of residue testing to establish which is at what level.  I wouldn't have thought it would be so riggerous with 'Organic'. ???

Thanks for the info, the way this reads to me is that Organic food in any great quantity is probably not good for us then.  :-\

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Jason...

Sulphur and Magnesium are natural chemicals... granted... but they were never intended by nature to be refined and sparyed on our fruit & veg - I think thats the crux of it...

It's a bit like (and I'll whisper this bit incase any of my customers are watching)... Frozen Veg has a much higher nutritional value than fresh - as a result of the time it takes from cut to frozen is so quick it locks the nutritional decline in the product... from the time an item is cut its nutritional value derceases quite considerably as it degrades  :-[

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Jason...

Sulphur and Magnesium are natural chemicals... granted... but they were never intended by nature to be refined and sparyed on our fruit & veg - I think thats the crux of it...

It's a bit like (and I'll whisper this bit incase any of my customers are watching)... [glow=red,2,300]Frozen Veg has a much higher nutritional value than fresh - as a result of the time it takes from cut to frozen is so quick it locks the nutritional decline in the product... from the time an item is cut its nutritional value derceases quite considerably as it degrades  [/glow] :-[

Absolutly bob on Marky, couldn't aggree more, but then I do work for Birdseye ;)