Britains Fordson "Replicas"

JC

I notice there are a few of these around again, the last time I saw them they suddenly dissappeared into thin air........ how accurate, and what's more, how legal are these models??

They are described as "Replica's"

3cee_1.jpg

30_1.jpg

40_1.jpg

49b7_1.jpg

71_1.jpg

Yes Ive seen plenty on there over the past few months.

As far as I knew they were outlawed by RC2. Maybe someone will get in touch with them to let them know.  ???

I remember the previous discussion and the outcome, this is what made me raise the subject again as I was wondering if any changes had been made to them since last time so they were no longer an exact replica.....

I bought a blue and grey one at the Ardingly Vintage Show in July.

They are quite a nice looking tractor. They are available as kits, but I bought one ready assembled and painted for twenty eight pounds.

The worst thing about them is the wheels. The front ones wouldn't have been cast four slot as on mine; they would have been pressed steel 6.00 x 18's, which I'm pretty sure was the factory fitting. The rear wheels are wrong too. They are Fordson Major / E27N type wheels, not the scolloped centres as they should be, and the  rear tyres are a very poor fit. The three point linkage works and fits well.

The castings are fairly good, but although not immediately noticable; the whole casting is narrower than the original. It wasn't until I stood it beside an original that I noticed that point, so items like a loader and muledozer will not fit on to it.

Colour wise; I'm not too sure. The grey wings are a bit dark and the bonnet etc seems a little bright; although I think the New Performance Majors were a brighter blue than the Fordson Empire Blue.

I don't regret buying it because I love Majors and couldn't afford to pay the prices they fetch on E Bay, but I don't think I would buy another.  ;):)

Don't bother with the kit form ones as they are a total mess in my opinion. I think I said this in the original topic on these tractors but here's a refresher.    The one I had in kit form was the E1A Major. Both haves of the main casting had to be filed level to fit together flush. The 'rivet' pegs on one half were too big to go through the holes on the other half and the rear peg was too long. The rear mudguards had very little lower surface to glue to the axle. The front axle pin (swivel pin) was too small inside the casting to stay in place once the two halves were together so I had to fashion a 'split' washer to hold it in the casting. No wire steering link in the kit, made one using paper-clip wire. Front wheels far too loose on the axle wire and were E27N type. Rear tyres very loose fit on rims, again, E27N type wheels. Seat lower peg had to be filed down to fit the seat lower to stop hydraulic cross-shaft from dropping out. Down arms could not be used as they were too hard, even after gentle heat, to fit over the locating pegs on the cross-shaft and lower hitch, so I used some proper Britain's ones. Finaly, there were no decals in the kit. When I Emailed the chap to ask for some he wanted to know what ones I wanted, I said if he did'nt know, don't bother. The wire axles are useless as the steel is too hard to crimp the ends to stop the wheels coming off.  On the right hand mudguard, in the casting, is 'Made In England' and no attemt has been made to hide where the word 'Britain's' has been ground out.  :'( :'(

I hope that the built models are better quality than the  kits???????  I certainly won't be having any more, in either form. I would rather pay a lot more and have an example of the real thing, Britain's that is.

I bought a blue and grey one at the Ardingly Vintage Show in July.

They are quite a nice looking tractor. They are available as kits, but I bought one ready assembled and painted for twenty eight pounds.

The worst thing about them is the wheels. The front ones wouldn't have been cast four slot as on mine; they would have been pressed steel 6.00 x 18's, which I'm pretty sure was the factory fitting. The rear wheels are wrong too. They are Fordson Major / E27N type wheels, not the scolloped centres as they should be, and the  rear tyres are a very poor fit. The three point linkage works and fits well.

The castings are fairly good, but although not immediately noticable; the whole casting is narrower than the original. It wasn't until I stood it beside an original that I noticed that point, so items like a loader and muledozer will not fit on to it.

Colour wise; I'm not too sure. The grey wings are a bit dark and the bonnet etc seems a little bright; although I think the New Performance Majors were a brighter blue than the Fordson Empire Blue.

I don't regret buying it because I love Majors and couldn't afford to pay the prices they fetch on E Bay, but I don't think I would buy another.  ;):)

where i used to live