Silage... Stacks

Kiwi6920

What sort of silage stcak do you normaly have?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What sort of silage stcak do you normaly have?

• In door
    • out door, concrete pit
    • Out door pile/bun

Outdoor every time. Many round my way are made from railway sleepers though as when the lines were pulled up in the 60's and 70's they were going very cheap. A few posh newly built cocrete types are going up here and there though. Indoor ones are crap with trailers, loaders and herds getting ever bigger.

Thers a good mix of outdoor and indoor shed types around my way, though mostly outdoors. Not all outdoor ones have walls, just a slab like the one Stan put up, or with a bank on one side like our own. When making a pit in a shed, we always tip outside on the ground and then the loader backs out over the silage and pushes it in when the trailer is gone. Personally I think an indoor pit is an awful waste of a shed, especially as very few people let the cows feed from the pit face nowadays, but in lots of cases that's just what is there on the farm and most lads will work away with it rather than have to build a new outdoor slab with provision for effluent run-off and all that in order to gain the use of the shed.