Advice please for Marky...

Lord Ferguson

Now then ladies and gents... I've been to Surrey today to look at two trailers...

The story is... (if you don't mind taking time to read this...) ... I have a peeling operation at work... and to cut a long story short... the peeling machine uses water as a "vehicle" to move the waste around.... although I use a screen to take out the solid particles down to 1.5mm... I end up with a lot of water which is heavily laden with potato starch... the only way to get the starch out of the water effectively is to slow it down (it then "drops out" over a few hours)...

So... the problem.. I need to slow the water down.. and old it for a while... then be able to "tip" the starch when the "collector" is full... my current setup is a slurry tanker... we take the water off the top half... and collect starch in the bottom half... now the problem with starch is... it's a "non newtonian liquid in water"... much like quick sand or custard powder... it's ROCK solid in water... then it gives and just runs through your fingers like water  :-\ - the slurry tanker won't "pump" the stuff out as it just sits in the bottom as a soild...

The solution... I'm getting a trailer... I'm going to "build a tank" inside it (swimming pool style)... pipe in at the top... pipe out at the top as well (either end) - when it's full I intend to tip the starch out... I want to do this job myself  ;D - rather than ask the local farmer to do it for me... so I'm looking for a trailer that Fanny can pull and tip...

The choices...

1. A 6t Dump trailer - good because it doesn't need too much work done to make it "water tight" - but is it too big... The salesman told me it Fanny would have enough oil in here bottom to tip her as she's only got one ram  :-\ - Price ?3250

2. A 4t Warwick trailer... drop sides... will need a tank making up completely - but it's smaller and a lot cheaper as well Price ?1900

I have enclosed a few pics... and I'm looking for advice if you don't mind - EVERYONE is welcome to an opinion... but I'm hoping some of you "real farmers" will point me in the right direction..

PS>>  I am told fanny can be fitted with a hydraulic brake pipe for very little money  :-\

Many thanks in advance for those who do give me their ten peneth  ;)

First up... the dump trailer...

DSC_2150.jpg

DSC_2151.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is 6 ton the smallest dump trailer you can get then marky??? i have seen some smaller arround this way being used by local garden contractors ect i think

It's the smallest i have seen Sean... I have seen a 5t one before... but I am sure it was the same size as this really mate  :-\

I would be going for the dump trailer, looks well built, will be capable of coping with the weight when it is full of water and the modifications will be a lot simpler than a complete fabrication job on the green jobbie.  :)

I would be going for the dump trailer, looks well built, will be capable of coping with the weight when it is full of water and the modifications will be a lot simpler than a complete fabrication job on the green jobbie.  :)

Do you reckon a little tractor like mine will be ok with it though Jason  ??? - I think Fanny only weighs around 2t  :-\

The dump trailer looks the better build, but is that 3t empty? Even if you only have 3t starch in it, that's 6t...and probably 2+ t on drawbar. Front weights? Might be worth a check in Fanny's book!

The other thing I would be concerned about would be if the starch 'stuck', it may lift rear of tractor off the ground if tipped to full height.

The 'tank' on the flatbed would add a bit of weight (and cost) before you start, but you then have a versatile trailer for other purposes. :)

Personally it sounds as if dump would be best, but overall weights would be my concern.

Sorry to sound negative.... :)

The dump trailer looks the better build, but is that 3t empty? Even if you only have 3t starch in it, that's 6t...and probably 2+ t on drawbar. Front weights? Might be worth a check in Fanny's book!

The other thing I would be concerned about would be if the starch 'stuck', it may lift rear of tractor off the ground if tipped to full height.

The 'tank' on the flatbed would add a bit of weight (and cost) before you start, but you then have a versatile trailer for other purposes. :)

Personally it sounds as if dump would be best, but overall weights would be my concern.

Thats EXACTLY what I want John... many many thanks... advice from a pro...  ;) - I'll check my drawbar weights in the handbook  ;)

Do you reckon a little tractor like mine will be ok with it though Jason  ??? - I think Fanny only weighs around 2t  :-\

Not so sure Mark, how much does a 150 HP tractor weigh bearing in mind these will be used to draw 15 tonnes of grain.

Get an idea how much the trailer will weigh with the starch in it but minus the water and then try fanny out on something of similar weight, a flat bed trailer with the weight made up in spuds springs to mind. I guess the hydraulic brakes will be a must.  :-\

That makes a lot of sense John.  :)