base ?

jcb4cxkid

Question

17 answers to this question

I think most people use 6mm MDF.  The main advantage of MDF is that it shouldn't warp.  Alternatives are ply or hardboard but definitely wouldn't recommend.  You could also use plasticard sheet.

thats what i use MDF easy to cut and easy to work with  :) :) :)

If you decide to use MDF    Go for 9mm as it is just that little bit more rigid

And the good thing about MDF is you can make multiple buildings and base boards as you build up your layout and join them together as in a module effect so your layout will build up bit by bit but stay the same height

Does that make sence ;)

what happens  :-\ :-\ :-\

It has some kind of slovent in the wood mate, to bind it together. indust form, with the dust from the wood it can gve you a bit of a cough for a few minutes. No long term dmage for the likes of us but if you were to work with it full time it could probably cause you long term damage.

It has some kind of slovent in the wood mate, to bind it together. indust form, with the dust from the wood it can gve you a bit of a cough for a few minutes. No long term dmage for the likes of us but if you were to work with it full time it could probably cause you long term damage.

ok thats alright got a little bit worried as i was cutting in the wind outside on sunday

Just had a wee chucle to myself about the effects of MDF dust. Could be that in another 20 years time it will be banned and a bad word just as is "Asbesto sheets" at the present time.

oh well best look at new barn bases then! :):D :D :D