BRITAINS 135F Disc harrow & 138F Four furrow plough

BC

I bought the following two models in Duck and egg boxes at auction on Saturday.

According to the Peter Barron book 135F was issued in 1950 and 138F was issued in 1951. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long these models were issued for ???

post-839-13263870706_thumb.jpg

post-839-132638707062_thumb.jpg

What lovely models Bill... Sadly I'm no Britains expert, so I can't help with your question... but they look superb all the same...

Yes I was very taken with them Marky especially with the duck and egg boxes and the instruction sheet included with the disc harrow. They were late on in the sale so I was happy when I got the two for ? 55. Added to that was 19% commission plus VAT on the commission which bumped them up. I still think I got them for a reasonable price ???

post-839-132638707066_thumb.jpg

I am not sure how long these were produced for but I think to around 1961, anyone with the Britains catalogues from those periods would be able to tell you mor precisely. The disc harrows came in various colours, blue, red and green. The 4 furrow plough had 2 slight variations, the first issue having a metal rear furrow wheel, which is rarer to find, the second one had a plastic one and the green paint was a brighter more shiny green as the more dull earlier paint (on all models) had a high lead content which was banned in the early 60's.

I am not sure how long these were produced for but I think to around 1961, anyone with the Britains catalogues from those periods would be able to tell you mor precisely. The disc harrows came in various colours, blue, red and green. The 4 furrow plough had 2 slight variations, the first issue having a metal rear furrow wheel, which is rarer to find, the second one had a plastic one and the green paint was a brighter more shiny green as the more dull earlier paint (on all models) had a high lead content which was banned in the early 60's.

Thanks for that information powerrabbit. That confirms the trailing plough is a later version with the orange plastic wheel.

I don't suppose there would have been any instruction sheet originally with the plough or would there ???

According to research I did along time ago Britains introduced the Slide and Packing Case boxes in 1961 and 1962.  These replaced the Duck and Egg boxes, so these boxes were used for around 10 years.  Can't remember buy Britains farm models in them but there again never worried about the box then!

Yes I think there may be a leaflet with the plough.  Got a couple of these ploughs somewhere, I'll try and dig them out (along with 171F) when I can get into the 'Toy Store'.

According to research I did along time ago Britains introduced the Slide and Packing Case boxes in 1961 and 1962.  These replaced the Duck and Egg boxes, so these boxes were used for around 10 years.  Can't remember buy Britains farm models in them but there again never worried about the box then!

Yes I think there may be a leaflet with the plough.  Got a couple of these ploughs somewhere, I'll try and dig them out (along with 171F) when I can get into the 'Toy Store'.

Thanks Peter that would be excellent.

In your opinion did I pay a fair price for them ???

Thanks Peter that would be excellent.

In your opinion did I pay a fair price for them ???

Bill yes I think that was a pretty good price for these in a Duck and Egg box.  D & E boxes are rare in good condition these days.  As you can tell they are not quality card and soon get torn and damaged.

Saw a 135F Red in D & E at Westpoint on Sunday, box was about the same as yours from what I can see.  Dealer wanted ?40 for it but probably could have got a little off that.

Packing Case box versions should be cheaper.

Bill yes I think that was a pretty good price for these in a Duck and Egg box.  D & E boxes are rare in good condition these days.  As you can tell they are not quality card and soon get torn and damaged.

Saw a 135F Red in D & E at Westpoint on Sunday, box was about the same as yours from what I can see.  Dealer wanted ?40 for it but probably could have got a little off that.

Packing Case box versions should be cheaper.

Thanks for the update Peter. I wasn't planning going much higher but auction fever sometimes just takes over ;D ;D

I think that you could link up the disc harrows to make up gangs by the instruction sheet.

I could try that with my packing case set powerrabbit. Colours would not match though ;D ;D those were the green ones.

Thanks for the update Peter. I wasn't planning going much higher but auction fever sometimes just takes over ;D ;D

The cost you always forget about at auctions when bidding is the buyers premium.  The thought of a Scot and auction fever though doesn't quite gell with me  ;D ;D

You got a good buy there.

The cost you always forget about at auctions when bidding is the buyers premium.  The thought of a Scot and auction fever though doesn't quite gell with me  ;D ;D

You got a good buy there.

This auction house used to take a premium from the buyer of 17 1/2 % plus Vat until receently but now it has gone to 19% plus VAT equivalent to 22+% on hammer price. To make the arithmetic easier I usually think of it hammer price + hammer price divided by 4 to give total price.

Oh we Scots can be canny but believe me most people get carried away at auctions and probably regret it later ;D

135F became 9534 in 1962 when it was available in the packing case box, with both numbers. I have 176F/9537 Acrobat rake with both numbers on the box and a reference to the 1962 catalogue, I will add a picture latter, memory willing ;D At some point in the 70's, I believe, the individual discs were replaced by a two part casting per side. It was deleted at the end of 1976 and replaced by 9553 in 1977.

138F became 9551 also in 1962 and was again available in the same style of box as the discs. It was sold separately until the end of 1970 after which it was only available in a set with the 3 furrow plough, as set number 9555, from 1971 to 1974. Replaced with set number 9546, in 1975, consisting of the 3 furrow and 3 furrow reversible ploughs. Plastic was first mentioned, with reference to this plough, in the 1972 catalogue so presumably it was metal until then :)

I remember these boxes, just............very small then, but ripped them apart to get at the toys ::)

135F became 9534 in 1962 when it was available in the packing case box, with both numbers. I have 176F/9537 Acrobat rake with both numbers on the box and a reference to the 1962 catalogue, I will add a picture latter, memory willing ;D At some point in the 70's, I believe, the individual discs were replaced by a two part casting per side. It was deleted at the end of 1976 and replaced by 9553 in 1977.

138F became 9551 also in 1962 and was again available in the same style of box as the discs. It was sold separately until the end of 1970 after which it was only available in a set with the 3 furrow plough, as set number 9555, from 1971 to 1974. Replaced with set number 9546, in 1975, consisting of the 3 furrow and 3 furrow reversible ploughs. Plastic was first mentioned, with reference to this plough, in the 1972 catalogue so presumably it was metal until then :)

I remember these boxes, just............very small then, but ripped them apart to get at the toys ::)

Thanks for the update super6. I have 9534 the disc harrow in the packing case box from my childhood days priced at 20p. those were the days.

The next pictures shows the 135f & 9534 linked up and coupled to my Ford 5000.

post-839-132638707676_thumb.jpg

I know I'm straying from topic slightly but since I had my 5000 out for the previous picture I though I would take a picture with the slider box. I remember my father bringing me back this one from Harrods in London circa 1969 / 1970 when he was down at a building exhibition. It has been well played with and the exhaust has been glued and the air cleaner is missing but I suppose i could get replacements for these ??? ???

Oh but what really annoys me is that horrible "wheel rot" on the rear wheel centres >:(

I'm not sure if anyone does replacement centres but its maybe it is better to keep the model as it is  ??? ???  Any opinions greatly appreciated

post-839-13263870768_thumb.jpg

Replacing the missing and melted parts on the 5000 would be acceptable and are available from Brian Norman in Merrion, Pembroke, give him a ring, 01646 661645. Air cleaner and round exhaust are 50p each and the wheels are ?1 each. Ask him to send you his parts catalogue. Well worth doing.

Personally I'd leave the wheels as they are.  They are the originals, not replaced, and wheel rot is a well known Britains issue.  Personal choice but doesn't seem to deter the Britains collector.

If you want a good one for display then a refurbished unboxed example may be the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, photo's of the Acrobat rake box with old and new catalogue numbers on same box with slightly later box for comparison :)

IMG_20080420_2378.jpg

IMG_20080420_2379.jpg

Many thanks for the responses chaps. A compromise I think... I will get a replacement air cleaner and exhaust but leave the wheels the way they are ;) ;)

As far as I am aware you can not get a direct replacement exhaust for the early, cab less, 5000. They were a little bit longer than the latter versions, according to the pocket guide. As ever I stand to be corrected if wrong ::)

Both Ford 5000 replacement exhusts are available. The early one, pre-force had the white oval shorter type with the top pipe to the front of the box and pipe from bonnet in the centre of the box. The later force type was the longer round exhaust that was more of a pale grey in colour. Brian Norman does them and there are often some listed by a chap on eBay if you type in the search box Britain's parts.