Field of Daffodils........

NewHolland2

few fields like that on the way to Spalding.....then again they do grow a lot over there ;)

there was. me and mark were commenting on one along the side of the road from the hotel, why dont they pick and sell  the flowers?? anyone know, they seem to arround this way when they grow them

there was. me and mark were commenting on one along the side of the road from the hotel, why dont they pick and sell  the flowers?? anyone know, they seem to arround this way when they grow them

They often do pick to sell around here but the supermarkets, florists and the like only want them when the buds are tightly closed, the minute that they start to open thats the end of the flower harvest season. Often though in Lincs I think you will find that they are grown for bulb cultivation and not for the flowers, the same happens around here, there's more money in bulbs. I did see a field of about 40 acres with tulips in last friday but they were not flowering, a lot of monies worth in the ground there

yep they are pretty and cheer the countryside up don`t they.

I`m told one thing us humans  will always cry out for is beauty..........presumably the reason for such large scale cultivation. I think they pick as Gav says at what they call pencil stage , gives them a longer shelf life that way.The SAC farm management handbook used to give costings , perhaps still does, regarding the viability  of dafs as a proper commercial crop so they are  a legitimate crop for up your way Mart.

I had thought of doing something along these lines as a diversification,a few different varieties though, sell the flowers at the roadend and the  local country markets and ultimately the bulbs either online or as before.

We live in a national scenic area and often get folks just coming a run round by us.....there`s a loop you can do 6 miles long from the town on one side of the river, up either side of it, cross over a bridge and back down the other side into the town again.Road goes through an oak wood famed for its carpets of bluebells.Ready made customer base  ;) would use a field that was easy to see from the road etc....maybe  eventually even get folks specifically coming to see the field of dafs as you never see any round here..........might still be worth considering but the lack of any more round here may suggest it`s been done and not been a success..............