Question For An Arable Farmer......

FW

Right picked these up from the other farm the other day to break down some winter ploughing which is going into Maize early next month. Being a Livestock lad myself with only power harrowing and ploughing experience in cultivations, I have a few questions on using a Spring Tine Harrow correctly:

-Firstly should I extend the toplink so the rear is deeper in the ground?

-Secondly how deep should I drop it, bearing in mind I am prepared to do it twice before the power harrow?

-Finally how fast should I be going in our clay?

Phone387.jpg

Phone390.jpg

Will,

This is what I would do if I was using it - set the top link level - uniform depth across the harrow - also make sure both lift arms are the same length on the screws ;)

As for depth - you need a bit of soil so drop it down 4 -5" anyways in the soil.

As for speed usually go in 5th or 6th gear in the Ford's - go a little faster than what you plough at in the Maxxum or about the same speed as you spread fertiliser ;)

Will,

This is what I would do if I was using it - set the top link level - uniform depth across the harrow - also make sure both lift arms are the same length on the screws ;)

As for depth - you need a bit of soil so drop it down 4 -5" anyways in the soil.

As for speed usually go in 5th or 6th gear in the Ford's - go a little faster than what you plough at in the Maxxum or about the same speed as you spread fertiliser ;)

8kph?

Speed wise

depending on soil composition    go as fast as the tractor will pull them as the movement of the soil will aid in the breaking process in medium soil

if it is heavy soil first go with a stedy speed in the direction of the plough to loosen and levell the clods then when finished go over it in the other direction at a good speed as not to labour the tractor too much and it should break it down a fair ammount

Does that make sence :-\

Speed wise

depending on soil composition    go as fast as the tractor will pull them as the movement of the soil will aid in the breaking process in medium soil

if it is heavy soil first go with a stedy speed in the direction of the plough to loosen and levell the clods then when finished go over it in the other direction at a good speed as not to labour the tractor too much and it should break it down a fair ammount

Does that make sence :-\

Sure does. ;)

will go about 9 or 10 mph ;) ;)

Hells bells, I think he wants a cultivator left at the end of it, 9 or 10 Kph maybe ::)

Keep the top link level, personally I'd give it one deep pass at around 5-6 inches then give it a few days to dry out before giving it a second one at a slightly shallower depth so you don't pull anymore wet snot up ;)

• 3 weeks later...

5mph will be about right ;) the idea of those cultivators is to get some speed to make the tines move and shatter the clods but not too fast as you will break the tines, the deeper you go slow down, the shallower speed up!

were i work somes times with my dad they always let me go pressing as they travel same speed as a powerharrow with it for a smooth ride were as i go faster and it makes a better job with the levelling board and tines due to the speed the soil is moved :D