BC's 1957 NUFFIELD UNIVERSAL DM4 Reg OSA 181

BC

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read all this too, Bill and waiting for the pics - sounds like they'll be worth the wait.  ;)

This machine has some real sentimental value to me John and reminds of of the happy times I spent on my grandparents farm.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Mark and John I e-mailed Andy yesterday and he said some images may have been lost in the swithover and if they didn't appear by the end of the week to upload them again. I've done it with the photo bucket thingy this time so I hope you enjoy ;D

Thanks Bill... As I suspected... she's a peach.. and so well cared for - A real credit to it's owner and an example to us all on how to look after an old lady  :o

I thought Fanny was spoilt... now I feel like a tractor abuser  :D :D :D

Thanks for sharing Bill

Thanks Bill... As I suspected... she's a peach.. and so well cared for - A real credit to it's owner and an example to us all on how to look after an old lady  :o

I thought Fanny was spoilt... now I feel like a tractor abuser  :D :D :D

Thanks for sharing Bill

She's an Orange actually Marky......  ;D ;D

Now that I've seen all the pics, the text didn't do her justice.  :D

Absolutely smashing Bill - especially with the full history in your family.

I'm jealous  ;D

Now that I've seen all the pics, the text didn't do her justice.  :D

Absolutely smashing Bill - especially with the full history in your family.

I'm jealous  ;D

Glad you enjoyed John and remember if you are up in the Aberdeen area give me a bell and you can see her in the flesh ;D ;D

Some years ago I showed my auto electrician Harvey Sutherland the invoice for my Nuffield shown on the first page of this post. At the BA event Harvey asked if he could get a copy for the salesman at the garage he works at. The salesman's name was Neil McGarrol and he had been a salesman with Neil Ross Ellon for some 25 years before they closed down. I duly delivered a photocopy of the invoice to Harvey's' work but he wasn't there.I was speaking to Harvey last night and he said Neil was delighted with the invoice and he was even able to establish which salesman had sold the tractor to my grandfather from initials on that invoice ( the receipt part I assume ). Harvey was saying Neil wants to meet up and have a chat with me. That won't be difficult since the garage they both work at is only a 5 minute walk from my work. In addition I found out that Neil's uncle Jim was a dairy farmer from the Cruden Bay area of Aberdeenshire and his uncle Jim sold calves to my grandfather at Newmachar. It's all coming back to me know I don't really remember Jim but I remember his car it was an early Ford Capri probably old H reg circa 1970 ish and he pulled a small trailer behind it to carry the calves.

Talk about being a small small world  ;D ;D

DM4012.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well had a shunt around in the garage at the weekend since I'm planning on taking Nuffy to the local rally next Sunday weather permitting of course ;D ;D

Was pulled from the back of the garage by my french cub to just outside the garage door to save the reek when starting, Tried her on her own batteries turned over this time but not enough power. Attached with jump leads to the 12 volt battery used to power the MG2 winch and away she went. had a short spin around the block and back inside on charge again.

1182008380.jpg

1182008382.jpg

1182008383.jpg

1182008384.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well when I was photographing the old black and white photos in my post about farmbuildings and horses in Aberdeen and the shire I found this one in there too.

On the back of the photo it says Harvest 1960 so i would not have been there ;) ;)

That's my grandad William Jenkins ( Auld Wullie ) the 1957 Nuffield DM4 aged around three. My dad is actually up there forking with one of my mums brothers

23012010022.jpg

8)  FANTASTIC Bill great job you have done. What´s the handle on left wing for?

Thanks Erik. Got her in 1978 and was restored in 1982 when she was 25. She be 53 in October older than me but maybe wearing better ;) ;)

The top handle in orange and the black top is the hand clutch. Could use it by jumping on the drawbar pulling back and on it would move forward. Would have been used for one man for pulling "neeps" aka turnips to save having to jump on and off the tractor. Would be banned by health and safety these day's.

The lower handle in black is the starting handle..well no only for turning over the engine for setting the tappets. I still use it at the start of the year before starting and crank over to get the oil back up the bores.

Thanks Erik. Got her in 1978 and was restored in 1982 when she was 25. She be 53 in October older than me but maybe wearing better ;) ;)

The top handle in orange and the black top is the hand clutch. Could use it by jumping on the drawbar pulling back and on it would move forward. Would have been used for one man for pulling "neeps" aka turnips to save having to jump on and off the tractor. Would be banned by health and safety these day's.

The lower handle in black is the starting handle..well no only for turning over the engine for setting the tappets. I still use it at the start of the year before starting and crank over to get the oil back up the bores.

I havent seen handles  on NUFFIELDS DM 3 or 4 in DK, a friend of mine have a DM 3 and 1958 was stamped at the starter so  it was build in 58 i think , but she is not restored, A couple of years ago i have a DM 3 58 myself but i have to sell it because i need the money SHAME

excellent :)

do you have plans for outings for this spring/ summer?

Well Alex she hasn't been to shows for a few year's now. She is now in need of 2 6 volt batteries. The last time I bought they were £ 179 for the too and that was after 1/3 trade discount. My have really old casing batteries from 1978 and my autoelectrician is going to open up remove acid and cells so we have casings to put 2 smaller 12 volts in place. The Nuffy has a bar in between the two batteries in the box so I'm not cutting that out and a Nuffield looks silly with a single 12 volt battery in the middle with the bar cut out. Seen it done but I won't be doing it. So yes she might well get an airing.

Mind you I have 5 tractors in my small collection so not having an articulated lorry and trailer I can't take them all to shows at once ;) ;)

I will go and look for my other posts and post the link in here

1948 MG2 Cat

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,21539.0.html

My three wee red nashes

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,14526.0.html

I havent seen handles  on NUFFIELDS DM 3 or 4 in DK, a friend of mine have a DM 3 and 1958 was stamped at the starter so  it was build in 58 i think , but she is not restored, A couple of years ago i have a DM 3 58 myself but i have to sell it because i need the money SHAME

Well I hope I don't have to sell my one Erik.

The overload release and hand clutch was an optional extra and was £ 13 on the invoice. I suppose it depended on who stony ground you were working on and whether you though the optional extra was necessary.

To date I have never seen another Nuffield with the "starting handle" but I'm sure mine is not the only one I just assume others got thrown off.

WOW love it bill youve made a really good job and looked after her well  ;)  should of brought it to the working day to play with  ;D were the sliding halfshafts cut off ???

Would have taken a few hours to Road her down to Forfar Aaron. Yes the shafts were cut but well a good cut not a horrible burn like I've seen on some. Up in Aberdeenshire they were not needed since for drill work "neeps and tatties" drills would have been 28inches wide so the tractor wheels would have been at 56 inch centres all of the time anyway

Archived