BC's 1957 NUFFIELD UNIVERSAL DM4 Reg OSA 181

BC

Well I'm sure many of you have heard I have a 1957 Nuffield Universal DM4 in my small collection of real vintage tractors but I don't suppose many of you have seen it other than Big A at BA last year. Well there is a story to this one since it was originally purchased by my late grandfather Mr William Jenkins who farmed at Drumligair Newmachar. It was purchased new in October 1957 from Neil Ross Ellon for the net sum of ? 740 and 19 shillings as can be seen from the original purchase below. My father purchased this for me in 1978 since he didn't want me to get on the road with a moped ;D ;D

Well it was restored by dad and me in 1982 when she was 25 years old and went to the Bon-Accord Steam & Vintage rally in that year at Hazelhead where she picked up the tankard for the best post 1939 tractor. Nae bad for her first outing I thought. Well that's enough rambling so now the purchase invoice followed by the first tax disc in 1957 which cost ? 2 for the year to 31/12/57.

DM4012.jpg

DM4013.jpg

The details on the invoice read

Tractor No IDE 16442

Eng. No. OEA/2/27011

Reg. No. OSA 181

One Nuffield Model DM 4 tractor with lift and PTO electric lights and horn as per makers specification and guarantee ? 685 and 10 shillings

Belt pulley ? 12

Overlaod release and hand clutch ? 13

Seat cushion and drawbar extension  ? 2 and 11 shillings

Delivery charges from works to farm ? 23 and 10 shillings

Sub total ? 736 and 11 shillings

by allowance for second hand fordson tractor ? ( 35)

Sub total ? 701 and 11 shillings

Licence  ?2

Sub total ? 703 and 11 shillings

Then in grandads writing

Add ? 17 for Fordson ( bought back) never left teh farm but that was the way discount was given

Add oil for tractor ? 20 8 shillings and 3 pennies

Grand total ? 740 19 shillings and 3 pennies. the 3 pennies was struck of and the cheque was written for ? 740 and 19 shillings as verified by the stamped receipt.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now the last 2 pieces from the bag. The anti freeze tag and the 2 pin plug for an inspection lamp which could be plugged into the dashboard

DM4021.jpg

Next she had to get a pull to the door from my French cub so that the garage wouldn't get smoked up. Before that though the starting handle was out and I turned her over till I was blue in the face to get the oil up the bores. Excess fuel on and turn ignition and pull starter and hey presto nothing. Batteries too low... looks as though I need 2 new 6 volts again. A little pull up the drive on the flat into top and she fires in to life. Sorry but too embarressed to show that one ;) ;)

Well we are going so time for a run up the country road

DM4003.jpg

DM4001.jpg

Absolutely fantastic  :D :D :D :D and the history that you have preserved is just as interesting and adds to the interest

well done

robbo

Absolutely fantastic  :D :D :D :D and the history that you have preserved is just as interesting and adds to the interest

well done

robbo

i'll second that!!!, its great and to read more about it its also a pleasure!!!  :) :) :) :)

well done

robbo

Thanks Robbo. The one piece of the jigsaw I really miss is the old buff log book before they changed to the new V 5's. Heaven knows what happened to that. I have it for my 1941 International Farmall A but thats no consolation.

i'll second that!!!, its great and to read more about it its also a pleasure!!!  :) :) :) :)

Thanks Ben. What's now annoying me is I may now need to purchase 2 new 6 volt batteries. The last were only bought in 2004 and the two came to ? 170 and that was after trade discount. I'll get the old ones tested though since they did start her in the gartge last night but just and she was also still warm from her afternoon jaunt ;D ;D

amazing condition and You every thing bet it worth a bit

Its not for sale Massey Boy no matter what money is on offer ;D ;D

I'm having my will rewritten shortly since she is going to pull me to my resting place.... I'm hoping thats a few decades away yet though ;D ;D

Thereafter need to see about getting her booked into into a museum or something ;D ;D

Love that bill of sale, so much more interesting than anything we get these days  ::)

Its good to see it is still in the same family with all the bits and pieces that came with it, some rare survivors amongst that little lot I should imagine.

Makes it more interesting, to me. Do you display any of this with it?

Lovley storey and you must be very proud to have back where she belongs

Yes I'm a bit of a sentimental person and it reminds me of grandad and the lovely times I spent on the farm as a youngster Stevo.

I nearly bought his last car recently. It was a 1948 Triumph Renown  1800 "Razor edge" CRS 650 and he was second owner from 1951 and apparantly paid about a ? 1,000 for it then in cash. I'm not really into cars and have no space so I didn't end up buying it. I got the chance to drive it though and was quite different with column change gears. Its gone to a new owner in Cupar Angus some 50 odd miles from me. I'll try nd get a photo on the rally scene this year if anyone is interested ???

Love that bill of sale, so much more interesting than anything we get these days  ::)

Its good to see it is still in the same family with all the bits and pieces that came with it, some rare survivors amongst that little lot I should imagine.

Makes it more interesting, to me. Do you display any of this with it?

I used to display the invoice in a display board until last year when I replaced it with a photocopy on green paper. As for the other stuff no since I'm too scared anyone takes a fancy to them. Generally a good crowd on the rally scene really but you just never know

Well Nuffy is still on the charger but she is a liitle huffy. Look she has got French foxy sitting next to her. She was the one that towed started Nuffy on Sunday ;D ;D

I'm not too happy with this arrangement either Foxy French is taking up my car space >:( >:(

DM4024.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How did I miss this topic..  :o

I've read the story... now I can't wait to see the pics when Andy gets them uploaded once again  :P :P

If they don't get uploaded Mark I can e-mail copies to you. In the interim have a look in events and shows and my post on the BA event this weekend ... you will get a taster there

Archived