BC's 1957 NUFFIELD UNIVERSAL DM4 Reg OSA 181

BC

My father used to have a 4/65 which had a 6 cylinder Leyland lorry engine in it. 100 hp + and at least 40k on the road. Nothing funnier than catching and overtaking more modern tractors. It was sold locally and used to transport a ploughing tractor to competitions ( at speed!)

I have done a bit of overtaking myself in the past Iain when I used to road it to shows before I had my three Farmalls. After that it was easier just to pull them behind my car and get to shows a bit further from home.

That sounds like a bit of a beast, Iain 8) hope there wasn't too much free play in the steering ;)

Aye Bill, There were a few  back in the day known round here for liking the road speed of the Nuffield :)....  although quite a lot ended their working lives on shrimping and cockling duties in Morecambe Bay due to being that bit taller and being a bit wick across the sands.... there will have been quite a few that have rotted away to nothing due to the daily bathing in the salty water. Bit of a shame really that a few more aren't seen about on the rally fields ;)

..... But it good to see your's will be back in service for next years events 8)

Yes I remember seeing Nuffield's and Leyland's used for shrimping when I attended a rally at Floockburgh or was it Grange over Sands a couple of times in the mid to late 80's. I recall a Leyland being in one heck of a state since it had gone down and been recovered much later. I must look back and see if I have photos of it.

Yes Paul I'm looking forward to getting her back up and running for next years shows but I'm also thinking it may be time to sell it. I have had my fun with it and its a shame its sitting about so much so maybe time it goes to a new home for someone to use it more than I do....but the price will have to be right ;D  ;D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Kenny but I'll pass on the 2015 tractor road run from Gretna since its a little too far to road down to the start line.To be honest I have never been a great fan of tractor road runs since a lot of tractors are too slow and if they all run close together (as I have seen on many occasions) they can be a real pain to other motorists on the road.

I'll try and make my way down to your model show next year but in the comfort of my car since I have done plenty miles in the past on my Nuffield in all weathers I will add.. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well today with the help and assistance of a rally friend who is a retired mechanic Nuffy's "water work problems" have been cured 8) . New water pump and gasket fitted, plus new thermostat and gasket and a new fan belt.After a few hours in the comfort of a warm garage all the parts were back on with the exception of the bonnet which is held on with two screw studs. After a quick stop for a snack lunch she was filled  with water and she fired up and I drove her outside the garage to save all the diesel fumes. No water leaks from either the water pump or thermostat and only a small leak from one hose which was quickly sorted by tightening up the clips on one hose. Now back inside and water off. The next task will be to add antifreeze and return her to the back of the garage so I can get both cars inside again. In the Spring time we will have to look and try and fix the "hunting" problem with the fuel pump which most likely is a burst diaphragm but that should (in theory) be an easier task ;D  ;D

P1000002_zps55d13d42.jpg

P1000001_zps6ec097b6.jpg

Thanks Mark...it was new to my late grandfather on 31st October 1957 and I remember it from an early age and probably first drove it ( well steered it in low gear) when I was around 7 to 8 years old. I then acquired it in 1978 when my late dad bought it for me prior to the farm sale instead of a 50 cc Yamaha moped which was costing around £230 back then and that was without the insurance. The Nuffield was bought for less than that and I'm sure is worth a lot more than the said new moped had I got it and kept it.

Painting well may I'll just undercoat it in primer excluding the bit on the pulley where the belt runs. I may still have a tin of Poppy orange gloss paint from when it was restored in 1982 but depending on how well that tin was sealed the paint may have hardened up ;D  ;D 

I bought one of them 50cc Yamaha FS1E mopeds new in 1975 it cost me £222 +road tax and insurance and today if you have one in real good condition they are changing hands for £2000 to £3000 a real wreck of one sold at Cheffins vintage sale in April this year for £1500

• 10 months later...

Yesterday a new diaphragm was fitted to the governor and my Nuffield is running as sweet as she used to and no "hunting". It is now going on the market for sale since I no longer use it and it is taking up valuable garage space.

IMG_8835_zpsvxm1eidr.jpg

P1010352_zps6pydgogs.jpg

Archived