Toppers - opinions wanted

nashmach

We are seriously thinking about replacing our ageing mowing bar as a topper. We top between 30 and 60 acres a year depending on stock numbers and growth. We currently use our mid 60's 5' Swedish mowing bar for this on our Ford 3600 but time to speed things up a bit ;D

We were thinking of either an old double chop or a topper ;)

Would prefer a fully offset one as it bugs me if you are driving over uncut grass ;)

Would also prefer it be gear driven as less trouble with belts etc and gives a better finish.

Narrows the field down to Major, Connor and Hi Spec I think

Any opinions gratefully taken

Flail might cut it up too much though Marky - we want something left for the cattle to eat :D :D

The only one I can say is the best I have used is the McConnel Rhino 9, Colm. I think it would be a bit big for your tractor though :-\

4610 would handle it though Tris ;D

How about a nice old Kidd offset simple little topper :-\ :-\

Never knew Kidd made offset toppers also ;)

we used to use an old PZ Mower its offset so you ain't running over the thistles

that seem to rise back days after when you use a "directly follow behind topper"

That is why I don't want an in line job - trying to find an old 6ft mower in good nick is a nightmare though :(

We've had a KV FX flail since new, about 5 years old now I suppose, and that's been a super bit of kit. Yes, it follows behind, but the updraft from the flail sucks most things up, you just need to be careful where you drive.

The little 4135 will drive it but it takes some lifting  ;)

And in terms of leaving something for the stock to eat, well, it's like a sprinkle of silage across the field!

Here y'are.... Mrs H topping for those that missed it  ;)

th_NikiTractordriving.jpg

The Rhino isn't offset admittedly but the chains along the front and back create almost a seal. The rotors then kind of suck up the wheel marks. It's by no means perfect but they are a strong topper which if used on grass which isn't stupidly long can leave a mown finish. :)

The Rhino isn't offset admittedly but the chains along the front and back create almost a seal. The rotors then kind of suck up the wheel marks. It's by no means perfect but they are a strong topper which if used on grass which isn't stupidly long can leave a mown finish. :)

Would agree to an extent there tris but i had numerous problems with ours it will do a good job but intead most toppers that start to leave a suffering job when overload them whereas the rhino doesnt i burnt one out this summer finding that out the hard way :D :D and dont put too much hp on front aka 200hp which i did didn't like that either :D :D

Mmm sounds more like operator abuse to me Phil ;)

What you trying to then tris :o :o :D :D

I will admit though when got used to it never had problem with it again, but like said as soon as put my 818 on it ran fine never had it slip or any problems but when i serviced it back in january the slip clutch had been slipping ??? ??? :D

I bought a 9' Major way back when set-aside came in, it cuts around 40 acres a year (grass/clover) plus tops some pasture grass. It's cut some grass which would have made a hay crop and doesn't murmur (pulls the 3065 down). The only thing is the front of the skids wear, but these are easily plated. Wheelings aren't a problem. Spreads the clippings well too.  :)

we changed ours last year and one farmwer has offset major, another an abbey and another a wylie, we looked at them all and the wylie had a good price, cleaned the ground better and was probably stronger but not much wrong with any of them ;)