buck raking the clamp etc. - WARNING stupid question time!!

FB

ok, i've seen pics of the JCB on the clamp, and tractors with buckrakes, front or rear mounted.....

is there a reason why you cant use a loadall or a tractor with a front loader, or is the weight etc. got something to do with it??

just curious

Ben, take a seat, grab a hob nob......... no not marky, put him back and listen.

There is no reason why you can't use a tractor and loader.

The dairy farm I used to work on didd all roughly 500 acres of grass and 100 acres of maize with a ford 7610 and quickie loader.

They are fine on the clamp.

Also I have seen contractors using them mate.

Hope that helps, I will try and dig out a pic or two  ;) ;)

Basically, if you think of a buckrake, some with twin assistor rams, heavy duty 3 point linkage etc, they can take some fair pressure when pushing grass. If you get 150hp + on a buckrake you can push well, and you can have a fair width buckrake etc. Whereas a tractor and loader is more 'flimsy' the way the loaders are made they go above the bonnet before going down to the headstock, this usually makes the tractors front wheels want to be a bit lighter when pushing, and in turn you loose traction. Also self explanatory, putting a 14 tine push off buckrake on a loader would try the bearings/bushes and brackets of any loader, let alone trying to lift it! And a JCB shovel,leibherr, New Holland etc, are built for jobs like that, so they have power to weight ratio fairly well worked out, and although they are quite high their stability, traction and pushing power on a pit is second to none.

I stack our silage with front end loader, i personlay like the rear mount rake but our buckrake only fits the loader ::)

I find it harder to loader stack but you can have a steep face all the way.. i have a new grab/rake this year so its going to be fun,

Here is my jxu with buckrake

DSCF0165.jpg

What im useing this year is a Anbro grapple, we got it for handling tree prunings so im going to try it on the stack

With regards to the farmmaster, jcb say it is desinged for stack work, so its ment to have a low center of gravity and optimum push power

Hope that sheds some light on the situation ben

asking a loadall to push silage is really just signing its death wish, telehandlers just don't like it, they will do it, but often the little troque converters don't agree with it

farmmaster 414,416,434 etc are built to do it, awesome on the stack, the powershift and ag tires love it

tractors work real well to, loadings on the front axles are tractors limiting factor, powershift tractors will push on the stack well, one of the most effeicent machines for the job.........but at the end of the day a tractor is built to pull, the front axle will always be abused..........pushing a load and lifting, and skidding the wheels puts huge forces on it..........and the further you put the weight out past the front axle, the worse the loading will be.....you can stack with a tractor people do it, be gentle,...or don't moan when the front axle gets rebuilt later in life

the best machine for the job would be a JCB434 4 wheel steer, rigid chassis, with a pivoting boom on a turrent.........a over grown airmann from germany...........basically.......

asking a loadall to push silage is really just signing its death wish, telehandlers just don't like it, they will do it, but often the little troque converters don't agree with it

farmmaster 414,416,434 etc are built to do it, awesome on the stack, the powershift and ag tires love it

tractors work real well to, loadings on the front axles are tractors limiting factor, powershift tractors will push on the stack well, one of the most effeicent machines for the job.........but at the end of the day a tractor is built to pull, the front axle will always be abused..........pushing a load and lifting, and skidding the wheels puts huge forces on it..........and the further you put the weight out past the front axle, the worse the loading will be.....you can stack with a tractor people do it, be gentle,...or don't moan when the front axle gets rebuilt later in life

the best machine for the job would be a JCB434 4 wheel steer, rigid chassis, with a pivoting boom on a turrent.........a over grown airmann from germany...........basically.......

Any pics pudd, never herd of that

if your going to put any tractor on a pit get a moffit with a rear mounted loader all the weight is pput on the rear axle which is designed to take that sort of abuse the only draw back expect to need a repair man on standby for the moffit somethings bound to go wrong

oops airmann is actually a blue hitachi........i think its ackermann or schaffer, i will find a pic, there is a vid of one stacking silage on youtube

alhmann.........

http://www.ahlmann.nl/

ahlmann-az-10.jpg

a JCB farmmaster built like a alhmann.........would be my choice

the youtube video is

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ovGR6Ay3lM8

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=daRq5gqtXGU&NR=1

hows that for you nick, there is a outfit in NZ importing the smaller loaders, you can get them with 3 pt hitch on the rear, good replacement to the bobcat etc, just not up to the throw put of a jag chopper, but these larger ahlmanns will , 4ws keeps ya off the walls of the pit, and the pivoting arms up front speed up the dressing of the edges of the pit

The first job i did with my "brand new"

JD 2850 sg2 4wd with TANCO loader was

on the pitt & it would preform almost

aswell if not the same as a front mounted

buckrake

On the loader wasnt even a buckrake

just a muck fork with buckrake tines

easier than a buckrake aswell  ;) ;)

if you are good with the tipping leaver

the silage slides off the fork just as easy

as a buckrake

did the pit with the 2850 loader tractor