NORTH EAST OF SCOTLAND COMMERCIAL VEHICLE ROAD RUN 8 06 2008

BC

Well I went along to try and get some shots of the vehicles on their way home from the Ashgrove Transport Cafe near Huntly. Disappointing in that I was a bit late in getting out to the Glens of Foundland and missed at least anothe half dozen before I stopped at a layby. With hindsight I should  gone that bit further and seen them climbing up the Glens Of Foundland. In adddition I missed the North bound ones and missed my pals Scania since he had to take an alternative route to avioid the low railway bridge at Inverramsy near Inverurie. To coin it all the shots are poor given they were going at a fair speed down the hill ;D ;D

Never mind here they are for what they are worth

A 1970 ERF 64G Reg UFU900J with a 1942 Ford Ferguson 9NAN from Eric Robertson of Brechin

a148244c.jpg

Followed close on by his friend Sye Bruce in his K reg Leyland Daf recently acquired ( Ex D C Thomson Dundee) with his petrol paraffin Nuffield on Board

85b334cd.jpg

Next another ERF which looks to be another 64G. Details of owner unknown

013b40d0.jpg

Now I never knew that Morris J type vans could go so fast... apologies fro cutting off ;D ;D

It is in original condition and was first owned by Hornes Emporium of Fougue . This belonged to my friend Stuart until about a year ago.

1682e635.jpg

Next a 1975 Atkinson Border from A & J Mair Aberdeen

a903d272.jpg

Next well sorry its not a classic yet but it could be in the future ;D ;D

Got fed up waiting so snapped this modern Scania from J C Inness Huntly

4030d2b0.jpg

Now a vehicle from Truck Plant Services... never seen this one before so no details I'm afraid  :(

16be6343.jpg

Another Atkinson this time a 6 wheeller from Bill Milne of Aberdeen

d10c83bd.jpg

Oh well at least there was a Scania recovery truck on the run

7111abda.jpg

Next a 1972 ERF 64G from George Forrest of Kirriemuir

fd2094a5.jpg

Followed on by father Forrest in an ERF artic unit

48089650.jpg

Another ERF this time pulling a trailer but a little fast for me :(

62a8666b.jpg

Finally a 1975 N reg TK Bedford ex Schweeppes which carries a 1913 national Gas engine. Jointly owned by Bert Stewart and Harold Smith of Aberdeen

d7dcbf8b.jpg

Some interesting oldies there Bill......I used to have the problem of cutting machines off with my old digital - gets annoying doesn't it...... ;)

Maybe you'll know Bill, are JC Innes painting their newer Scanias in a gold with red writing as I'm sure I saw some recently......May have been mistaken though...... :-\

passed some of these on the way home from aberdeen yesterday bill, everyone of them gleaming, there were still a few of them in the field at ashgrove when we drove past, must have been going about with my eyes shut because i don't remember seeing it advertised anywhere, the father-inlaw was there and said it was pretty good lots of pennies tied up in some of those things, expensive hobby!!!!!!!!! He said henry thompson from sauchen had 5 trucks there and j.g riddle of glenkindie had a gleaming volvo f88????? there, smart

Maybe you'll know Bill, are JC Innes painting their newer Scanias in a gold with red writing as I'm sure I saw some recently......May have been mistaken though...... :-\

Some interesting oldies there Bill......I used to have the problem of cutting machines off with my old digital - gets annoying doesn't it...... ;)

Maybe I should have been "panning" or following them round before clicking Martin ??? ???

Most of my shots are usually still so its a case of point and click ;D ;D

I could well be wrong about JC Innes mate, I've never actually managed to read the writing properly on them but I was pretty sure it said JC Innes......Did think it was strange right enough......

Not too sure Martin but I will enquire. Could be a name change or colour change due to VOSA  ???

passed some of these on the way home from aberdeen yesterday bill, everyone of them gleaming, there were still a few of them in the field at ashgrove when we drove past, must have been going about with my eyes shut because i don't remember seeing it advertised anywhere, the father-inlaw was there and said it was pretty good lots of pennies tied up in some of those things, expensive hobby!!!!!!!!! He said henry thompson from sauchen had 5 trucks there and j.g riddle of glenkindie had a gleaming volvo f88????? there, smart

thats a new one on me mart, they are based about 10 miles from me and they are up in my area a lot at the james jones sawmill but i havn't seen a gold one with red writing, will have to keep my eyes peeled.

Taking a bit long to load on the mobile so I will view with pleasure asap from a pc ;)

There is a chap who videos it yearly Tris and puts it on DVD and video. I must get a copy this year having seen so little of the vehicles this year. Was speaking to my friend last year and said that for next year they are thinking of a two day event and stopping over in somewhere like Grantown on Spey in Morayshire.

Not too sure Martin but I will enquire. Could be a name change or colour change due to VOSA  ???

Thanks Bill that would be good...... :)

Maybe I should have been "panning" or following them round before clicking Martin ??? ???

Most of my shots are usually still so its a case of point and click ;D ;D

I never got it right with the old digital I had Bill, no matter what I seemed to do when taking pics on the Dual Carriageway I wouldn't get the whole machine/vehicle...... :'( :'(

• 2 weeks later...

I could well be wrong about JC Innes mate, I've never actually managed to read the writing properly on them but I was pretty sure it said JC Innes......Did think it was strange right enough......

Martin the lorries you are on about are james innes and son they run a fleet of scanias and one DAF, the lorries are all painted in Bahama gold, they are based near portsoy which is about 10 miles from me, hope that helps.

Was this what you saw??

jamesinnes.jpg

portsoy_jamesinnes.jpg

Bill, the lowbed from Truck Plant Services, would it be a Leyland?  Maybe a Leyland Lynx.

I could be waaay wrong on this though.

Yes it could well be a Leyland Adam... I'll ask my pal since he knows everything there is to know on the older classics ;D ;D

Don't you just love Borderers!! Thay are such a characteristic truck, much like the ERF's of the day were too really. Like the tractors of the time. .. and the cars. ...

What happened between now and then?  :-\ :(

Oh yeah, Ford made the Sierra!!  :D :D :D

Yes it could well be a Leyland Adam... I'll ask my pal since he knows everything there is to know on the older classics ;D ;D

Be sure to let us know what he says Bill, Its been bugging me all day  :-\

Completely agree with you about the Borderer Deere-est. British trucks from the late '60s and '70s had so much personality. Fodens, Guys, AECs, Albions, Seddons, Scammels (which were built just down the road from where m' mother used to live, she never lets us forget that). Someone more skilled than me should do a poll, what's your favourite classic British lorry?

Adam if you interested in some classic British lorries have a look at the attached link on a post I did on a friend of mines collection. There is an Canadian one in there specially for you ;D ;D

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=22021.0

Tris is the trucker on here so he may want to do a poll ??? ???

That was a great post Bill, some nice old girls to be sure. I didn't know Carruthers of Dumfries had trucks. I remember that they had buses. Did a daily run from the New Abbey/Southerness area into Dumfries.

The ol' half-shack cabover Mack is a blast from the past  :)

That was a great post Bill, some nice old girls to be sure. I didn't know Carruthers of Dumfries had trucks. I remember that they had buses. Did a daily run from the New Abbey/Southerness area into Dumfries.

The ol' half-shack cabover Mack is a blast from the past  :)

He did the engine of that Carruthers Foden many years ago and it was at our local show at Banchory. His plan was to do it in Carruthers colours but it has been put on the back boiler. I hope he does get round to it since I just love the look of those Mickey Mouse Fodens. On the Mack well it just does not "float his boat" so it will be for sale. The cab is in excellent condition so it should be a relatively easy restoration project for someone. Still haven't confirmed on that Leyland yet Adam but I will.

Be sure to let us know what he says Bill, Its been bugging me all day  :-\

Completely agree with you about the Borderer Deere-est. British trucks from the late '60s and '70s had so much personality. Fodens, Guys, AECs, Albions, Seddons, Scammels (which were built just down the road from where m' mother used to live, she never lets us forget that). Someone more skilled than me should do a poll, what's your favourite classic British lorry?

My friend tell's me it's a Leyland Chieftain and belongs to someone in the Glasgow area Adam.