Tips On Brazing

Powerstarâ„¢

Question

Brazing is a similar thing to soldering but on a bigger scale. Basically all the joints have to be really clean and rubbed down well, (basic stuff) You need to coat the two ends of the metal you need to do in 'Flux' a red liquid which stops oxidisation,is priced at about ?4 for 250 G or ready made stuff. You then heat the 'Flux' up and keep heating with the MIDDLE part of the flame, DO NOT use the BLUE bit of the flame, you'll burn through it, when both ends of the metal are red hot, (white hot is ok) just dab the brass rod on as you would soldering, smallest bit ever is needed, otherwise you will end up with huge lumps, if that happens just file them down, not a big problem, Do not apply the brass on really quick otherwise a little bang occurs and you are sprayed with little tiny bits of brass which hurts! After fixing the joint together, do not touch it even with gloves on, burns right through the gloves, trust me  ;) Leave it for 5 Mins per join and quench in cold water every time you have done one joint other wise the heat will just re-melt the brass.

Any other problems PM me or leave a question on this thread.

Cheers Powerstar.

12 answers to this question

Just shows he has a sensible side when he wants to, not a mention of pink anywhere in that although he got close with the use of red and white in the same sentence!  :D :D

Nice one Powerstar, sure that advice will be a great help to a good few people in the future.

F-P

No problems guys,

Deere-Est the equipment I use is A normal Brazing iron, bit smaller but is basically the same as the end of a welding iron, which runs on Oxygen & Acetylene, your average pot of 'Flux' and your brass rods. Basically it's very similar to Torch welding, hope this helps,

You can pick up a Brzing Iron for around ?15 prices do raise to about ?35, There isn't much difference between the whole lot, then it's just your averge bottle of 02 & Acetylene, blue and red piping, and your away, make sure your working on fire proof bricks of similar. The white stones you get in those Horeshoe heater things are ok to use too. Don't work on metal for an obvious reason, metal loves heat  ;), and wood, you'll catch the place on fire, (JDmccormick do not read this) thats about all for now, any other questions?

you use brass rod then powerstar?,i was told to use silver solder by the local hobbies shop,so i would join by soldering not welding/brazing like you do,mm,will have to see how the solder option comes? out first ,then maybe try your way

Silver solder for brass, brass rod for mild steel.  :)