Melting Wheels - Advice Please!

As I'm new to the forum and am looking to start collecting farm models after a 25 year interlude please forgive me if I'm asking basic questions  ???

Having had the chance to give my old Britains collection a quick look over at my parents house this evening, I noticed that several of my tractors have melting wheels :'(

These include my Ford 5000 & 6600 and my Fiat.

Now that this has happened should I be looking to replace these wheels or should I just accept that this type of thing happens on old toys.

If I did choose to replace where could I obtain wheels and other spares for Britains tractors and implements?

Any advice/help appreciated  :)

Wellcome to the nut house sorry forum  :D;)

your not asking stupid questions at all

Personaly i would leave them as they are unless they are really bad

But as i say its my personal opiuion, its up to you, wheels are not deer at all.

Here is dave towse website he does the loads or repo parts

http://www.britainstoyfarm.co.uk/index.html

;):)

The wheel melt problem is very common, something to do with the tyres reacting with the plastic wheels. As said, up to you as to wheather you decide to replace them or no. Another source for new Britain's wheels and other parts is Brian Norman in Pembroke, 01646 661645.Give him a ring and ask for his catalogue, very comprehensive, parts reasonably priced and if it's not listed he may possibly be able to get it.

As I'm new to the forum and am looking to start collecting farm models after a 25 year interlude please forgive me if I'm asking basic questions  ???

Having had the chance to give my old Britains collection a quick look over at my parents house this evening, I noticed that several of my tractors have melting wheels :'(

These include my Ford 5000 & 6600 and my Fiat.

Now that this has happened should I be looking to replace these wheels or should I just accept that this type of thing happens on old toys.

If I did choose to replace where could I obtain wheels and other spares for Britains tractors and implements?

Any advice/help appreciated  :)

Depends on whether you want to keep their value as original toys or have good examples to display etc.  Melting wheels (and other things) are well known on most Britains Farm toys upto the mid 90's.  It got better towards the later date.  Ford 5000/6600 and Fiats are probably the worst but I've seen Counties, MF's and implements with the same melt problem to a lesser degree.  Britains collectors are well aware of the problem and happy to buy/accept the models with melt with no problem.

I'd leave well alone unless you really want to change the wheels but remember by doing so you could be knocking 50 to 75% off their.

Welcome on board barney_leadhead. Yes wheel rot is a common problem on some of the older Briatin's especially the Ford 5000. You will see the state of mine below but although I have replacement rims I have decided to leave on the rotted originals I mean the tractor is almost 40 years old now. The chocie whether to leave of replace has to be a personal one.

606c22fb.jpg

Also have the same problem on my rear dump

7d58682c.jpg

My MF135 which isn't much younger then the Ford 5000 does not suffer from the wheel rot problem.

309f8d43.jpg

Thanks again for the help guys.

My childhood collection is/was stored in cupboard in my old bedroom at my parents house.

Think that I may well leave the originals as they are unless things get really bad.

Looks like I'll have to track down some alternative Britains models to mess around with.

Think the worst is the orange potato harvester, the rubber belts on this seem to have sweated to the point that a couple of the spindles have disintegrated  :-[

Looks like its whitemetal kits only from now on then  ::)

Thanks again for the help guys.

My childhood collection is/was stored in cupboard in my old bedroom at my parents house.

Think that I may well leave the originals as they are unless things get really bad.

Looks like I'll have to track down some alternative Britains models to mess around with.

Think the worst is the orange potato harvester, the rubber belts on this seem to have sweated to the point that a couple of the spindles have disintegrated  :-[

Looks like its whitemetal kits only from now on then  ::)

Is that scaledown ones ???

Is that scaledown ones ???

Sorry, just me being cheeky, despite their faults I love the Britains range.

I've had a look at the Scaledown kits and marvelled at their precision, but I can't really see myself getting into them, however I would imagine that models made from w/m or brass would stand the test of time maybe a little better than plastic ones.

Sorry, just me being cheeky, despite their faults I love the Britains range.

I've had a look at the Scaledown kits and marvelled at their precision, but I can't really see myself getting into them, however I would imagine that models made from w/m or brass would stand the test of time maybe a little better than plastic ones.

Good I'm only collect Britain's and Border Fine Art tractors. Have a few scaledowns from 20 odd years ago.

I see a Dexta in your profile do you collect tractors in the 1 to 1 scale also

I see a Dexta in your profile do you collect tractors in the 1 to 1 scale also

No sadly, I took that picture (along with loads of others) at a show last weekend.

Did think about buying a Fergie around 6 or 7 years ago and had a look at a couple but decided not to in the end.