An old 80's MF silage brochure... topical for this time of year

So it was MF that made those Gawd Awfull silage garbs  :-[ Boss on my 1st farm brought me a silage grab for our newish loader, he got me one of those, wasnt even the same width as the loader frame ::) ::)

vermeer system    one and the same as Vermeer USA            made the farmhand as well from memory..................

I WON`T go into our horror stories other than to say we made 9 bales one afternoon and on another unforgettable occasion rather than a memorable one, the old dog crapped in  the row in front of the baler.............may be unrelated but it had worked faultlessly as far as it did, all day before that.

We were baling what was almost hay in one of our best fields...as I say working perfectly,then got this "mess " in the last wee corner .After 4 hours trying,and at 9pm, we had to give up. went to it the next morning after a nights rain and it sailed through a grand total of 3 bales in all !

the dog was popular needless to say

Brings back a few memories there, seeing the MF70 mower, I've still got one. Bought it in 1976 ,cost £1100 ,this was when you could buy a Fahr twin drum for £850. Mind you not many Fahr's were still going in 2002 and had never had a spanner on them apart from changing the blades. The old 70 was the best mower we every had and was only replaced with a 2.8 m Kuhn with a conditioner because we needed a bigger capacity.

Reading what Jakescot says about the MF baler reminds me of the old Allis Chalmers rotabalers, the were awful things, in one field you could sail round and never have a stop, go into the next field and the crop would be jamming, wrapping aroud the belts and pulleys, and all sorts of problems.

One local wag used to say, " you could never make bad hay with the Allis baler, because if it wasn't fit it wouldn't bale it".

Oh, Allis8550, those Allis Chalmers Roto-balers  :D  A good friend of mine has one, just to play with. He has a Ford-New Holland 1220 tractor, you know, a little four wheel drive 14hp diesel machine and the Roto baler is just something to give him and the tractor something to do.

He used to come over to one of our hay fields on his day-off with his tractor and baler and a 12-pack of beer in a cooler. Our plan was to have a beer every time the baler plugged-up. Some days, you'd nicely have your thirst quenched, other days, you'd be s**t-faced before dinner  :D :D

I'd have hated to relied on it to make all my hay.

Jakescot, I laughed loud enough, Mrs TOG (at the other end of the house) wants to know what's so funny :)

Does anybody know anything about the MF square balers?

yes, the early 200 series balers were rubbish until they were replaced with the 1,2,3 & 4 balers these were better as they had new holland knotters on them :)

we`ve still an old MF 120...pretty much as new other than a big dent where the pto shaft fell off and dug in the ground  and bashed the cover for the big flywheel.It had good days and not so good days , we had odd knotter probs from memory but nothing major .Dad was good at baling, he`d done it for many years but the guy we had working with us at the time  was better and he could make her clonk on , I remember him baling 21 acres on day for us and a near neighbour from 11 am til around 7pm , good crops and using an old MF 135 !!! ours was done flat 8`s and the neighbours was just the drag sledge with 2 lads building on it, our old sledge had no top bar so you could build a good stack in it.The 135 was grunting at times when the sledge was full even tho the field was dead flat ! that would be  back in 87 I think it was .

those were the days !