javis scatter query

noel

Question

Hi everyone.

I've come across a bit of a problem and need your help.

I'm making a farm layout and have put some watered down PVA glue on chipboard and sprinkled some Javis black tarmac on it. I left it overnight in the garage with door open and it still has not dried very well, although there was bugger all wind last night.

I was thinking of using a hairdryer to see if that would dry it, would that work?

Any suggestions GRREATLY WELCOME!

7 answers to this question

might be down to the mix being to watery mate, did you put any fairy liquid in it to?? or similar, was told that breaks the surface down and aids in bonding and setting times,  heat might work ,other option would be buy the proper stuff and fine mist it with that , seals it all in a treat

might be down to the mix being to watery mate, did you put any fairy liquid in it to?? or similar, was told that breaks the surface down and aids in bonding and setting times,  heat might work ,other option would be buy the proper stuff and fine mist it with that , seals it all in a treat

thanks for the advice!

Its kind of backfired on me now, i think the scatter has reacted with the glue and turned from a nice tarmac black to a weird navy colour, have brushed it off and think a tin of black spray paint is in order, not the effect i was after, but hope it will get close to it!

i tend to use straight forward pva to bond it to the board, so far nothings discoloured, then spray it with a fine mist of the proper sealing stuff they do, costs i know, about 5 quid for 250ml, but it works a treat,and surprisingly goes a long way for its size 

did try a mix like you mentioned and couldnt get on with it, thats where i got the washing up tip, breaks the surface down when it settels

What I have tended to use in the past is neat pva brushed on then apply the scatter. I then use slightly diluted (even as far down as a 50/50 mix) pva sprayed or dropped on (with eye dropper) with a drop of washing up liquid for good luck and to break down the surface tension as mentioned by TM810  ;)

From memory that Javis scenic scatter is just dyed sawdust and when glued with a water based glue like pva it always sheds some of the dye, hence your navy/purple tarmac  ::)

From experience different brands of pva have varying water contents. Despite the extra cost I always use a branded pva like Evo Stik.

With the bulkier stuff like grey stone chippings I mix the chippings with a water/pva mix and apply straight on to the board. Then once dried very watered down PVA sprayed on through an old Windowlene bottle to act as a sealer. Sean told me the second bit and it works a treat.  :)

With the bulkier stuff like grey stone chippings I mix the chippings with a water/pva mix and apply straight on to the board. Then once dried very watered down PVA sprayed on through an old Windowlene bottle to act as a sealer. Sean told me the second bit and it works a treat:)

yeah and i told him that ;)::) ......after hearing about it in the model shop ;D