Lexion 600 night time harvesting...

malcy_p

Claas radar is on form tonight - caught on the breeze was the sound of a combine, a big one at that. I set off in the car, stopping every mile of so to have a listen. About 3 miles from home I found Ben and his 600 still hard at it...

post-1701-132638854494_thumb.jpg

post-1701-132638854502_thumb.jpg

Mate, those really are crackers of pictures  :o Simply superb, you should definetly enter a competition or two with them, it seems every you've done since joining the forum has been spot on  :D

And as you said, every so often when it's right you can hear a combine working, i can hear two working at the moment, just can't be arsed to walk and find them  ;)

I had a strange feeling there would be a New Holland working today, and did find a CX820...about an hour later though it would p155 down though!  The sound of the dryer going at the farm was much louder than the CX though!

Great pics Malc, glad to see the rain's keeping off down your way

There are a few more of the Lexions from tonight up at malcp.com...

Don't know about being a photography Pro... I did an O Level about 50 billion years ago but that was all film and darkrooms and history lessons. It was a small after hours class, me and three Upper Sixth Form girls - which made the dark room a very interesting place to be ;)

/m.

Never mind the pics and the combines.. .. what's the story about the three girls in the dark room?!!  :D

Again though, superb quality in the pics. Always struggled with eliminating the glare from worklights and the dazzle from the flash on number plates but here we are once more seeing hw it should be done.  8)

My three 'top' tips for night-time combine photos..

1 - Use a tripod/your vehicle/a tree/etc to brace the camera against unless you have a really steady hand.

2 - Turn the flash OFF. Cameras are designed to record the same light that your eyes see. Most digital cameras are much more sensitive than the average retina so keep it steady and you'll get something out of it to look at! Go manual if you can and open up the aperture and over expose a little to bring the background/sky into play.

3 - Use the optical viewfinder to pan in sync with the centre of the machine - ie the cab. Due to parallax errors you'll find that even if you get the cab/handrails crisp the extremities will blur - look at at the second photo above, Lexion600 Night 2F.jpg, the cab/header are nice and crisp but the back of the machine is fuzzy. The closer you are the worse it'll be - but you need to get in close-ish to caputre as much available light as poss - it's a trade off you'll have to play with!

Oh, and one last bonus tip - take loads and loads of picutres.... delete the failures and just keep the sucesses - but don't tell anyone!  ;)

Here endeth the lesson!  :D

/m.

My three 'top' tips for night-time combine photos..

1 - Use a tripod/your vehicle/a tree/etc to brace the camera against unless you have a really steady hand.

2 - Turn the flash OFF. Cameras are designed to record the same light that your eye see. Most digital cameras are much more sensitive that the average retina so keep it steady and you'll get something out of it to look at! Go manual if you can and open up the aperture and over expose a little to bring the background/sky into play.

3 - Use the optical viewfinder to pan in sync with the centre of the machine - ie the cab. Due to parallax errors you'll find that even if you get the cab/handrails crisp the extremities will blur - look at at the second photo above, Lexion600 Night 2F.jpg, the cab/header are nice and crisp but the back of the machine is fuzzy. The closer you are the worse it'll be - but you need to get in close-ish to caputre as much available light as poss - it's a trade off you'll have to play with!

Oh, and one last bonus tip - take loads and loads of picutres.... delete the failures and just keep the sucesses - but don't tell anyone!  ;)

Here endeth the lesson!  :D

/m.

Yeah but what about the three girls in the dark room??

Ha ha, that is great malc. It is nice to make a note of.

My last tip: More of the other green  :D :D

Thanks malcy  ;)

• 3 weeks later...