Which combine?

Daryl

Hi again.

Following the recent rekindling of my interest in tractor stuff, combine stuff and agricultural stuffage in general, i'm itching to start my new collection.

Whilst i've downsized somewhat from the vast expanse of carpetry i studiously farmed in my pre adolescence (i grew up in a 3 bed detached, and have scaled down to a 2 bed end terrace). You may recall from my last post that i was wanting to replicate my childhood empire.  As predicted by those of you who replied to my first thread, my head is already turned by some of the new stuff thats available.

So, my question is this.  I'm going to get a new combine and put the TR85 out to grass.  What would you chaps recommend?

I like the Britains NH's, and the JD's.  And then i saw the Case, and then i looked a little further outside of Britains, and saw the Fendts, the MF's, the Lexions and the Tucano and the Laverda!  When i was a kid, it was either the red one or the yellow one and now i'm spoilt for choice!

I know you'll all have different opinions, but which do you reckon would be best to go for and what should i look out for.

Sorry if this is a numpt question or in the wrong place.

Thanks

Daryl

The UH combines are great models, the Tucano especially so as it features the header trailer, though I also have the Laverda which is nice too.  For display models these are the best, I'd say, however my personal favourite is the Britains CX880 ;D - its not that well detailed, although I am working on fixing that!  The other Britains models aren't bad, the John Deere 9880i STS particularly good, though the header isn't that robust!

As for Siku, the Lexion 600 is a very good model, header not wonderful, but lots of opening panels etc, so quite good for a diorama; The MF and Fendts are good, though  they also have quite basic headers.  You can also get a Ros Laverda which is not that bad a model and a bit different from the norm

There is a lot to choose from, it really depends if your looking for accuracy or something with a little playability if you intend to have a display/diorama...though there's nothing to stop you using a UH combine though they do have some delicate bits...

Hope this has been of some help :-\

Right, so looking at the UH stuff, the Laverda, MF and Fendt are the same is that right?

So in terms of authenticity, are the Laverda and Fendt available in the UK or jut the MF, like the Lexion is marketed as a CAT in the US?

And whats a Challenger?  looks the same model but never heard of a Challenger before.

Combines have always been my primary interest and i've got the Clayson Jaditoy top of the list at the moment :)

MF, Laverda, Fendt and Challenger are all the same basic combine but in different colours...MF is available in UK, and I'm fairly sure the Laverda is, or was at any rate.  Fendt combines apparently might appear eventually, Challenger are US only (I think).

Jaditoy Clayson is a nice model, I wouldn't mind getting another at some stage, but not desperately.

I've got the following:

Britains

NH CR980

NH CX880 x4

CIH AFX8010

Siku

Claas Lexion 600

MF7278

Fendt 8350AL

Ros

Laverda M306

UH

Claas Tucano 450 x2

Laverda M255

Claas Matador

14 in all, but have had a lot more over the years! Thinking of getting a Norscot Lexion 580 too :o

I've got the following:

Britains

NH CR980

NH CX880 x4

CIH AFX8010

Siku

Claas Lexion 600

MF7278

Fendt 8350AL

Ros

Laverda M306

UH

Claas Tucano 450 x2

Laverda M255

Claas Matador

14 in all, but have had a lot more over the years! Thinking of getting a Norscot Lexion 580 too :o

The Norscot 580 is a very decent combine Joe,there is only on error with it,it has no steering.

Othervise it is a combine with class and i would give it 8.5 of 10 :) :)

After having a jd 9880i sts, i wouldnt recomend one of those. Although fairly detailed i felt it was very poorly made. I agree with Joe on the cx880s though, i liked mine but it was to big for my Carpet feilds  :D;):)

Although its all very well for me to knock the JD 9880i i didnt have it out the box long so not really sure. If Joe reccomends a combine then it will be good. He Knows his combines  :D;):)

After having a jd 9880i sts, i wouldnt recomend one of those. Although fairly detailed i felt it was very poorly made. I agree with Joe on the cx880s though, i liked mine but it was to big for my Carpet feilds  :D;):)

Although its all very well for me to knock the JD 9880i i didnt have it out the box long so not really sure. If Joe reccomends a combine then it will be good. He Knows his combines  :D;):)

The CX has settled in lovely with my contracting firm now ;)

I think that the JD's are probably the best of the Britains combines from a detail point of view, especially the 9880i and S690i as they have all the correct warning transfers etc, but that said, the elevator is spring loaded so header won't stay up, and the header itself is rather flimsy - though you do get a Maize one too.  The grain tank covers aren't accurate for an S690 but they come off easy so I don't think they'd be too hard to replace...Might have a try with mine if I do keep it!  I think the problem with the STS is that the actual combine isn't exactly easy on the eye - I like some of the other JD's but STS is no oil painting!

May also be a bit big for your carpet farm Ad!

The CX has settled in lovely with my contracting firm now ;)

I think that the JD's are probably the best of the Britains combines from a detail point of view, especially the 9880i and S690i as they have all the correct warning transfers etc, but that said, the elevator is spring loaded so header won't stay up, and the header itself is rather flimsy - though you do get a Maize one too.  The grain tank covers aren't accurate for an S690 but they come off easy so I don't think they'd be too hard to replace...Might have a try with mine if I do keep it!  I think the problem with the STS is that the actual combine isn't exactly easy on the eye - I like some of the other JD's but STS is no oil painting!

May also be a bit big for your carpet farm Ad!

Yeh i agree that the Sts is no oil painting, i think that may be why i dont like the model much. And your right too big for carpet feilds and even  to wide for the narrow carpet farmer lanes  :D  :D Shame because it is very detailed :) it is very detailed. Glad the CX has settled in well. The massey is perfect for narrow lanes and smaller feilds  :D :D  ;):) :)

Daryl, what about the newer britains Massey 7200  :-\ I like mine ;):)

Well I only collect Britain's and Ertl and have quite a few combines. My all time favourite one has to be No 9570 the Massey Ferguson 760 combine which ran from 1978 to 1998 and won toy of the year award one year in the late 1970's I think ??? ???

Yeh i agree that the Sts is no oil painting, i think that may be why i dont like the model much. And your right too big for carpet feilds and even  to wide for the narrow carpet farmer lanes  :D  :D Shame because it is very detailed :) it is very detailed. Glad the CX has settled in well. The massey is perfect for narrow lanes and smaller feilds  :D :D  ;):) :)

Daryl, what about the newer britains Massey 7200  :-\ I like mine ;):)

Thanks, they don't still make it though do they?

Joe - How about the CR980, is it as good as the CX?

I like the look of the Case.

Do Britains still do an MF?  I can't see one in any of the shop listings.

Thanks

D

The CR is a better model than the CX, cab is better detailed for a start, though I prefer the look of the CX...CR has fixed open grain tank lids as opposed to permanently shut on CX, but I have removed them now, and working on a plate to go over it for when its in the barn.

The AFX is also a nice model, not that badly detailed and quite similar to the CR...same grain tank lids.

Britains don't do an MF now, Siku and UH do though