Making a simple onion box....

Lord Ferguson

Question

I thought I'd test put my new bandsaw blade tonight by making a quick and simple to make Onion box... trust me... if I can do it - you will be an expert at it  ;):D :D

So... first and foremost... I rattled off a few sticks... using my old spud box measurements... 28mm high... 38mm wide and about 60mm long..... er... I think...

NEVER put your fingers anywhere near a bandsaw blade  :o - this was off and unplugged to show you the size...

DSC_5544.jpg

I'm using the fence to get even cuts... you could do this with a knife just as well... mark a line on a piece of scrap and cut each piece to length...

DSC_5545.jpg

Next up... I made the two long sides...

Nice and simple to make... stick the long bits to the uprights... nothing measured... all done by eye.. you can guess the centres easily enough in this size of piece I reckon...

DSC_5548.jpg

The crossbraces are just some thin scrap I had laying around... I cut these with a sharp knife

Next .... using superglue, accelerator and not a great deal of patience... I stuck the two sides on... hold them in place 'about upright' until stuck hard...

DSC_5551.jpg

Then it's just a case of cutting and sticking on the ends... simply lining them up by eye... a few more crossbraces cut with a knife and stick down....

Hey presto... a simple to make 1 tonne onion box..

DSC_5552.jpg

DSC_5553.jpg

I've mucked this one up with superglue as you can see... maybe a coat of paint might rescue it... then again... maybe not  :D :D

DSC_5555.jpg

So... in short... if you fancy a go... get some thin strips of wood.. it's simple to make and would look great full of 'fake onions'

I've had that bandsaw for years Tris... best £80 I ever spent tool wise I reckon... Delta I think it is...

hmmmmmmmmmmmm   you limeys have different size onions then us ours would fall out the slates??????????

:D :D - probably right pops... how about a pumpkin box then  ???:-\ :D :D

I've had that bandsaw for years Tris... best £80 I ever spent tool wise I reckon... Delta I think it is...

:D :D - probably right pops... how about a pumpkin box then  ???:-\ :D :D

It is looking great, even Rick has right. But i never tought you start building Mark and i am not the only one i think :D;)

texas

i made about 400 bloody soild boxes once pops... that's the only one I have... and I've only got that because the coating went wrong  :-[:D :D

MF parts  >:( - they don't need parts.... only the odd filter and some oil  ;);D

It is looking great, even Rick has right. But i never tought you start building Mark and i am not the only one i think :D;)

texas

Thanks Bas... I quite enjoyed being out in the garage tonight actually.. I may well have a crack at a few more things in the near future.. can anyone think of anything SIMPLE in wood I can make ???

Those solid bins are awesome, out here they would be used for apples, my goodness I swear I saw the exact same box just the other day at the orchard down the road here..............and I have awesome pallets too.....

Ignore my why don't you, see if I care. ...  I'm not bothered. ..  does this face look bothered?  :(

;):)

Sorry Trissy love...

I'm not sure why I made it really... just bored... FTF was slow... fancied testing my new bandsaw blade I have just installed... I'd like to make something 'worthwhile' in wood in 1:32 scale... but I can't think what to make... made gates.. pallets... spud boxes... can you thing of something else I could make buddy ???

DOH...  :-[

I've had it years.... many years in fact mate... from my woodturning days... I would throughly recommend one of these to anyone.... from memory it was about £80 when I bought it and they are not much more now... for your kind of stuff Tris it would be a godsend... cuts metal, wood, plastic, fingers