Ford 7710...? Maybe?

Well, here we go.... my first topic in my favourite board  ;)

As some of you know I picked up some repro parts at TT to rebuild / convert a very playworn 7710 [subsequently converted into a 2wd 6610] from my childhood, into a nice 7610... That's the plan anyway.

I could however do with a bit of input from any 7610 owners in the form of some decent photos to fill in the gaps in my memory....

It's going to be a 4wd Force 3 Super Q version so that's what I'd like pictures of, if anyone out there has one. I've done a Google image search and got a few but I could do with some better res ones and as I go along I'll need some close ups of specific bits if anyone's good enough to help me out...[if anyone recognises this one it came off tinterweb.... ;)]

Thanks in advance for your help and I'll keep you posted.... although don't expect swift progress....!!!

I know it's probably just a couple of evening's worth of work for most of you lot but I'll be squeezing it in around other commitments and projects [yes, that bloody house  ;):D :D] and no doubt having to do everything 3 times over before I get it right, so bear with me!!  :D :D

Cheers

Simon

post-1414-132638919701_thumb.jpg

Well, here we go.... my first topic in my favourite board  ;)

As some of you know I picked up some repro parts at TT to rebuild / convert a very playworn 7710 [subsequently converted into a 2wd 6610] from my childhood, into a nice 7610... That's the plan anyway.

I could however do with a bit of input from any 7610 owners in the form of some decent photos to fill in the gaps in my memory....

It's going to be a 4wd Force 3 Super Q version so that's what I'd like pictures of, if anyone out there has one. I've done a Google image search and got a few but I could do with some better res ones and as I go along I'll need some close ups of specific bits if anyone's good enough to help me out...[if anyone recognises this one it came off tinterweb.... ;)]

Thanks in advance for your help and I'll keep you posted.... although don't expect swift progress....!!!

I know it's probably just a couple of evening's worth of work for most of you lot but I'll be squeezing it in around other commitments and projects [yes, that bloody house  ;):D :D] and no doubt having to do everything 3 times over before I get it right, so bear with me!!  :D :D

Cheers

Simon

Sounds very interssting Simon :) :) Have you try to send a PM to Mattias maby he could help you ;)

looks good mate, can see an option for wheels already mind, nice set of uh mc105 fronts and rears, right hub shape then, same as  i fitted on my 6810 at toytrac, tris was burrowing it for his dispaly

I've been wondering what to use for the wheels, the old square Ford centres were very unique, or perhaps not unique but anything else would be obviously wrong...and I want to get the size right. I have a Mc chassis in one of my boxes, forget which one it is.... might be a bigger one...? No, can't be, it's not a really big one so must be an MC.... bought it off Will at Spalding in the spring. I do like your 68, looked even better the second time around at TT....

i think really , get away from using the 7710 chassis & start on a ford 5000 as a base model mate  :)

Oh thanks Marcus !! More expense!!!  :D :D

Maybe that will come next after I've had a bash at a simple one  ;)

Besides, it has some sentimental value as one of my favourite childhood toys and a very early conversion... [you wait til you see what I did to it  ;):D :D :D] so I'd like to put it back together....

The 5000 will one day come as a pair for a 7810 when I get round to it, a la Paul's gorgeous one he posted the other day... A 7000 would be a better start for the 7610 wouldn't it...? Was the 5000 3 cyl...?

So did Britains balls it up then...? Because I thought the 7710 was a 4 pot...? Like a 7610 but with some different bits and bobs and visually [apart from the obvious] the bonnet sat higher than the bottom of the screen rather than below...? So did Britains model it as a 6 pot then...? It's been a while since I looked at it! [maybe 15 years  :D :D]

So a 5000 chassis would work then, that's worth knowing.... I so nearly bought a 7710 bonnet and bubble roof instead to do a 2wd one but went with the 7610 since so far as I had guessed, the 5610 was just the original 7710 with different plastic parts...

Sean, I doubt very much that with work I'll be able to make the chassis look like anything other than a pile of filings !!  :D :D

the 7710 was originally a TW20 6cyl then went 7710 4 cyl then to a 5610 4 cyl, which was a really bizzare model choice  ???

the bonnet shape to the 700 series fords was a complately different design to the 600series fords if you want to try something different mate , keep the SQ floorpan & cab & get some 7710 gen2 decals ,quite possibly how britains should have badged it instead of a 5610 :)

Ah, now we're thinking.... hell, I'm glad I started this topic before I started cutting things up !  :D :D

So, working it through, I could also hold onto my repro bonnet to go on a 5000 for the 7610....

Bugger, so now I need to get another bonnet and decals....That's OK.... Right.... who can point me in the direction of someone casting 7710 bonnets.... I wish I could remember who I bought them off on Sunday.... anyone know.... he was opposite Steve & Karen at the opposite end of their table facing the entrance.....

Aha! If I buy a 5000 I can cut that up, use the chassis with the cab, floorpan, bonnet and decals I bought on Sunday, and the MC chassis I have and ... * TADAAA* this can still be a topic about a 7610....  ;D

Shoot me down on that one you lot !!  :D :D :D

Now look what you've done, straight away I've 2 bloody conversions going off rather than one... thanks a lot  ::)  :D  :D  :D

well simon if i was you id use the 5000 chasis ,reshape the 5000 bonnet nose like i did and like sean said the 105 wheels.i think the 115 wheels are too big even thogh you can put 38s on them.

i have ford square centres that would fit the back wheels with a bit of work

Simon, it must have been Brian Norman's stand that you got your parts from :)

Haha! Got one up on Sean then....! He forgot to go!!  :D :D

That's easy then... explains the price too  :-[:-[ :D :D

Thank you kind sir... Is he emailable...?

no, no ,no the 7610 bonnet is completely different to the 7710/5610 so forget about fitting a repro 7710 bonnet to the 5000 as you wont need it

as for gen 2 7710 decals get tm810 to get them from henri walker for you

Oh dear, I've confused Marcus  ::);D

I bought a 5610 bonnet, grille, white floorpan, cab, SQ roof panel & 7610 Gen 3 decals...

I have a 7710 chassis.

I now need a 5000 chassis to fit my 5610 bonnet, grill & decal to along with my SQ cab & floorpan.

I also need a 7710 bonnet, SQ cab & decals to fit to my original 7710 chassis....

So basically, I've got sod all except half each of 2 projects.....  ::);):D

well simon if i was you id use the 5000 chasis ,reshape the 5000 bonnet nose like i did and like sean said the 105 wheels.i think the 115 wheels are too big even thogh you can put 38s on them.

i have ford square centres that would fit the back wheels with a bit of work

I'm glad you're here, some sense with all these madmen from the South West...  ;)

I'm not convinced I'll be able to reshape the 5000 bonnet like you did mate, bit beyond me.... Maybe next time. I'm kind of with you on the wheels, I've always thought of the 7610 as on 34 inch rears and the 77 & 7810 on 38's....

I think I have a plan now though, no thanks to you lot  ::);):D :D :D

have seen a couple with 38s did you say you can buy the 5610 front grill??

Indeed you can, quite a good one too, apparently I bought it off Brian Norman.... I'll try to post some photos of it all but I'm off work for a week now and the laptop at home doesn't take too kindly to, well, working at all really  ::):D

I've not seen any on 38's round here but I imagine they look like you could drive them on just the back wheels with not too much trouble... presumably the fronts had to go up too..... ??? Although I'm sure our 7810 was 38's on the back and 24's on the front so getting the ratios right would be a reet ***** of a job.... ???

Right, I set about this last night, until my wife had enough of me tackling the chassis with the Dremel at the kitchen table, making a racket and showering her with filings.... :-[:D :D

This is what I'm starting with, I got it for Christmas when I was 4 or 5 and then after systematically destroying it I 'converted' it to a 2wd 6610 when I was 10 or 11. As you can see, my sausage fingers weren't that highly skilled at that age.... and are unlikely to be much better now! ::):D

post-1414-132638927907_thumb.jpg

post-1414-132638927943_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I posted the wrong photos.... those were of the finished article..... what do you think..... ???  ;):D

Anyway, thanks for all the 'kind' comments..... ::) I'm sure my 10 year old self would have been thrilled!

I've so far mostly done headscratching..... Don't know what wheels & tyres to use. Valtra C are a reasonable size but look nasty, K100 are tasty but completely the wrong sizes, I'm currently thinking Britains, maybe off a 6290....?

I set about cutting off the spurious bits yesterday. So far the lugs have gone off the sides of the casting, the hitch is partially dismantled to make way for a Siku hitch - which is a shame because the Britains one worked well on this one but all the plastic bits had seen better days.

I might have another bash at trimming up tonight, particularly if I can get some suggestions on wheels & tyres....

post-1414-132638927988_thumb.jpg

the valtra c centres fit the britains tyres.anyway what happened the idea of the 105 wheels???

I don't got none! If I can drop on one I'll use them, still my first choice... anyone got one or two chassis' they can spare....?

I might have a fiddle with the Valtra centres, I do like the old Britains tyres.... I think the K centres have too much offset, they're at a really wide track width.....