making a crashed car

Tractorman810

Question

guys weird one this, does anyone know of a way to bend dicast metals so it appears to have een in an accident?? on our farm there were several old cars that had been crasjhed or left to rot, in the bushes by my uncles, and i wouldnt mind trying to recreat that sort of effet with say a crashed ford anglia  or simialr, screen and tyres are easy, but how can i bend the meatl

21 answers to this question

did think of that but as you say the metal will break, is it possible to heat it up maybe?? not really sure how diecasts made to be honest, might just meltfor all i know

Think you'll have great difficulty in replicating 'crash damage'.  Diecast doesn't melt and as far as I know won't bend.  Why not just remove the doors, bonnet, wheels, glass etc and 'rust it up' as though its been stripped for spares and the unusable bit is just dumped to rot away?

Just in case you're in lack of inspiration :

crashed rusty cars

My advice would be to bash it about a bit on the side and front with a hammer and rounded end punch (or body workers hammer) scratch it a bit, stick it in a bag with oxygen and air, if you're lucky it will rust otherwise you'll have to use "mig pigments" or paint.

I used to do matchbox cars as a kid with a block of wood, think the trick is less is more, I could bend the die cast a enough to represent a shunt from the side or altercation with a lamp post, soft dents, bit major crashes I think will be a real struggle mate....

how about one of the glue together plastic model car kits  after its all glued together and before its painted get a  heat gun warm it up some but try not to melt it and make the dents then  then paint it up

never thought of that one mate ,saw a palstic model kit the otherday on ebay to, might give that a try actually

yeah i did think of that, but mads and trac said no  :D :D :D, they didnt want there little uns hurt in any way :D :D :D

to be honest te more i think about it, the more the plastic kit option sounds a good way forward, with care in heating i recon that could well work better