Advice from some real farmers please...

Lord Ferguson

As our recycling business appears to be gaining momentum... I'm seriously thinking about investing in a hook loader trailer system... so my questions to you farmers out there are as follows....

1. I'm looking for advice from anyone who has used the system (or knows someone who does)

2. Could you recommend a good manufacturer/brand to evaluate

3. I'd need a dump trailer body as well as a standard trailer... do you know if this is possible ???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... I invisage a system where I can drop off 'bins' to my customers for them to fill at thweir leisure... and me to collect at my leisure of course  ;D

I guess I'd be charging a rental on any containers delivered to keep my customers 'focused' on getting a quick turnaround...

Many thanks in advance... as stated above... I'm only 'evaluating' the idea at the present time... but I'm hoping it will have 'legs'

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant help you on any advice but i recon the idea is blooming good and i can se the logic in it, could get a tad costly buying all the bins to have floating around... Good idea tho i recon it would save the back end of your tractor carting the baler around all the time

Mark, you can get all manner of bodies for an hooklift... I used to have a dump body, a flatbed and a vacuum tanker body for mine, albeit the centre of gravity was a little high for comfort as well as a couple of custom bodies. Any skip manufacturer will make you a suitable chassis to mount any type of equipment/body on. The cost of a large number of skips will soon add up, although with steel prices dropping they should get cheaper.

thanks boys... I've been looking at the Rolland system in the last few hours....

My dilema is this... I can't handle big 20t bins on Frankie... I don't want to (can't) upgrade her just yet... so another question... is there an 'industry standard' in terms of size that has to be adhered to... or could you make your own... say... 10t bodies for a shorter trailer...

A real bonus would be if I had 10t bins for my system and they worked on a standard lorry body system perhaps  :-\

here you go mark seen a lot of these around the farms i deliver to, also seen the lorries collect as well , seems to be vey fast & efficient too

http://www.kernowfarmplastics.co.uk/how%20it%20works.html

dont think you need to have the expense of a hook loader system, the other altenative of which i've seen down this way , although predominantly for silage sheet from dairy farms is an old bin lorry :)

thanks lads... some great comments and helpful links here now...

So... plan... ditch the Bailey... get a dumper made... a handful of containrers... drop them off... charge a rental on site for the bins... collect and bale them at my leisure..

This most recent job I did was initially loaded in a hook loader - would have been better to take it away and bale it back at my site really  :-\

I'm going to havea look at a few makes in the next few weeks if I can... I'm well keen on this idea it has to be said  :)

So... plan... ditch the Bailey... get a dumper made... a handful of containrers... drop them off... charge a rental on site for the bins... collect and bale them at my leisure..

This most recent job I did was initially loaded in a hook loader - would have been better to take it away and bale it back at my site really  :-\

I'm going to havea look at a few makes in the next few weeks if I can... I'm well keen on this idea it has to be said  :)

Sounds a more efficent way of working Marky  ;)

At least you can bale at your leisure that way  ;) or Lumpy can  ;)

here you go mark seen a lot of these around the farms i deliver to, also seen the lorries collect as well , seems to be vey fast & efficient too

They have those up this way as well in fact we have one at my mum and dads place. you put the plastic bag inside and fill it with either bale wrap and sheet plastic, hard plastic containers, string and net wrap, and finally fert, seed and feed bulk bags.

All you would need if you did it this way is a bale trailer with foot high sides round it, as you already have the loader to lift them up.

http://www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/solway-recycling.asp

Indeedy  ;D - lets hope it's not too expensive then  ;D

Anyone want to buy a Bailey trailer... one careful lady vicar owner  ;D

They have those up this way as well in fact we have one at my mum and dads place. you put the plastic bag inside and fill it with either bale wrap and sheet plastic, hard plastic containers, string and net wrap, and finally fert, seed and feed bulk bags.

All you would need if you did it this way is a bale trailer with foot high sides round it, as you already have the loader to lift them up.

http://www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/solway-recycling.asp

Thanks Rob... solway is a national franchise I believe

We have never used the bin in fact nobody who uses the farm uses the bin over the summer all the waste mysteriously dissapeared to be replaced by a black mark on the ground  ::) ::)

Several case in our area where SEPA have turned up at farms to check on how they store/ dispose of waste plastic.

I know of one farm they visited they asked the farmer where his plastic was stored and how he planned on disposing of it, He told them it was in the top shed and he was getting it collected in about a months time. So off they went to look for the plastic, they get to the shed and it is empty, the farmer looks at the SEPA officials who do not look happy and says to them somebody must have stolen it  ::) ::)::)

you can get smaller 10 ton ones mate, sure the guy down here has 2, may not be rollands ,but they aint big thats for sure, not compaired to the other hes got,which are rollands, as you say lorry haulage then for them, local councils got a small hook loader to, on a daf chassis

lord ferguson,

if dont mind me asking how much is the tractor valued at that you would like to swop???

I'm not sure what it's value is now to be honest.... The tractor istelf was about £26k from memory in May 08.... she's now done approx 210 hours in total... oh.. and then about £5k for the loader I think  :-\

I'd LIKE a 6475 .... not sure what money they are mind you.. about £35-40 at a guess  :-\

Been so budy budy with your mf dealer wouldnt they do a good trade in for you mark? since frankie hasnt even poped her cherry yet.....

Possibly... I'm not so sure it would be a viable thing to do now though Nick.... Frankie is still very new I agree... but the loader would have to go as well  :-\

You can stil fit a loader on the bigger tractor cant you? front links with a fork mast?

It would need to be a bigger loader though Nick... if I go for a 6 cylinder tractor I'd need a much bigger loader  :-\

It would be a case of replace all of it sadly  :'(

i hav a solution to your problems lord fergy also your speed problem as well!!!

So long as it's red.... go for it  ;):)