The Adventures of Marky and Mavis... the MF240QD - new to me on 14th November 08

Lord Ferguson

The big question.... restore her or not ?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. The big question.... restore her or not ?

• Yep... give her the works
    • No... leave her alone

Well ladies and gents... I'm now in possession of my new little tractor... Mrs F has named her Mavis - I dare not argue with her.... especially as she's paid half towards her :D :D - if anyone wants to be brave enough to challenge her on the name issue please feel free to do so... just make sure I'm not about when you do... I hate the sight of blood :D :D :D

No pics of the collection as it was getting (got) dark... she's now parked up at my mates farm awaiting collection tomorrow in daylight...

Here she is at Haylocks place on the day I bought her...

DSC_6068.jpg

DSC_6066.jpg

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's by no means a 'minter' ... so I have lots of work to do in the future  ;D

The main reason I bought her is that she's a 1979 model... A bit of history... in 1979 MF finished production of the MF135QD and moved to this model.. the first of the 240's - to celebrate 50 years of the Massey Association (1929 to 1979) MF produced this model with a 'special' gold badge - now to the best of my knowledge it's the only MF ever to sport this badge - I reckon that makes her a future classic (if she's not already)...

I'm not sure what exactly constitutes as a classic... but at 29 years old I say she's one already  :):-\

Anyway... here is the badge...

DSC_6069.jpg

My intentions are to use her for roads runs... and possibly the odd bit of ploughing if I ever get around to buying a plough  :-[ - I'm really not sure if I should keep her original - just give her a mechanical once over... or possibly give her the full works and bring her back to her former glory... a few years ago a new gold badge came up on ebay (It was 'lifted' off the production line in 79) and I was lucky enough to purchase it  ;D - it's been my intention to own one of these models all my life really... so when the badge came up... the 'ownership desire' became even greater... for the record... here is the original brochure I picked up on 1979 as a 12 year old boy - I can recall... vividly.... looking at this brochure so much I am surprised it's not worn out  :-[:D :D :D

MF240265_Page_1.jpg

MF240265_Page_2.jpg

MF240265_Page_6.jpg

MF240265_Page_7.jpg

MF240265_Page_8.jpg

Now then... a bit of Mavis History.....

She was bought new in 79 by a government experimental farm called NIAB (National Institute of Agricultural Botany) from Standens of Ely... and only recently (after 2 years idle in a shed) sold to SR haylock of Castle Camps, Cambridge by tender (with 4800 genuine hours on the clock)... along with 7 other tractors... 135's, 550's and a few more 240's - The only tractor haylocks missed out on was a 250 which they believe went to a member of staff  :-\

So... in short.. she's a local girl... and she's going to stay that way as long as I own her... NIAB is a short ride up the A14 from my house.. about 5-6 miles away...

Bearing in mind she's 29 years old.. I reckon she's in bloody good condition... no real rust - the cab just needs a bit of a rub down IF it's going to be repainted  :-\

Current plans are to give her a new set of 'boots' on all four corners... give her a new battery and fix the leaking PTO seal... possibly get the seat recovered and get the lights working (the indicators work already  :o ) ...

Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated as always...

I intend to use this topic as Mavis's diary - in the same vein as the Fanny and Frankie Topics  :)

Wow Marky Ferguson contracting!!! :D :D

looks smart Marky- How are you going to get 3 tractors down here in one go for our ploughing day???

I reckon he'll call on the services of PDC and the Emmitt Scania....it's the right colour anyway :D :D

Wow Marky Ferguson contracting!!! :D :D

looks smart Marky- How are you going to get 3 tractors down here in one go for our ploughing day???

:D :D - thanks Kev... I'll have to choose I guess.... I'm thinking about selling Fanny now to be honest  :-[ - I'll get more use and fun out of Mavis I reckon.. time will tell I suppose..

I forgot to post the badge I scanned... here it is...

MFLogo240Badge.jpg

I reckon he'll call on the services of PDC and the Emmitt Scania....it's the right colour anyway :D :D

that's a damn good idea... the way you load a vehicle I reckon I should get 5 more then Paul  :D :D :D;)

I'll make sure she's in the yard buddy.... I'm in all day on Wednesday I think  ;D

ok mate, will give you a bell tues to let you know, the more i see her the more i think leave alone for now, only item i would sort is that hole in the front grill?? if the badge comes off ok maybe a complete old  one from say ron greets to replace it, new would look silly, to keep the overall finish

Nice purchase marky. As for fanny. I would sell her. You dont use her much as it is. And  Could ad needed funds to getting Mavis working properly.

that's my thoughts as well Kris...  :'(

How did you get mrs f to go along with the 3rd red thing to sit around??  ;D ;D

She was putty in my hands Nick  :D :D - actually... all joking aside... she's a good girl... she's pretty easy going... and VERY long suffering with me really  :-[:D :D :D

ok mate, will give you a bell tues to let you know, the more i see her the more i think leave alone for now, only item i would sort is that hole in the front grill?? if the badge comes off ok maybe a complete old  one from say ron greets to replace it, new would look silly, to keep the overall finish

I think you are right mate... although.. the front grill for the triangle badge may be hard to find I reckon... I bought a parts book today... so I'll have a look around and see what they do  :-\

wowow, well i have seen pics of this one before as you no, But wow with you having all the history mate thats just the icing on the cake.

Really nice mate, she is alreay a classic but in a few years she will be a really rarerunn i think matey. Very nice, can i have a go pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :-*:-* :-*:-* :-*

well marky another tractor. you will needed to get a bigger shed. whats next a massey 590 4 wd would be a good addition to the fleet

That would be nice... or an 1155 even  ;D

It is a beauty mate ;)

thanks Johnny  :-*

wowow, well i have seen pics of this one before as you no, But wow with you having all the history mate thats just the icing on the cake.

Really nice mate, she is alreay a classic but in a few years she will be a really rarerunn i think matey. Very nice, can i have a go pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :-*:-* :-*:-* :-*

thanks Addy.... I've got your name at the top of the list mate  ;) - now get over here quick  :o:D :D

Wow mate what can I say, mate, well sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield. :-\ :-\ :-\  errrrr mate, nice tractor....sell Fanny :o :o :o :o

thanks Pops... you do make me laugh...  :D :D - this time I was the windshield  :D :D

Looks like a sound little tractor, Marky, well done  ;) Good to have the history and the unique badging.  :)

My neighbour had one when we had the 550 - both tough as old boots, but then this one will never have a hard day ever again  ;D ;D

Which half does Mrs F have...........?  :(

Looks like a sound little tractor, Marky, well done  ;) Good to have the history and the unique badging.  :)

My neighbour had one when we had the 550 - both tough as old boots, but then this one will never have a hard day ever again  ;D ;D

the V5 bit i expect john  ;) after all she cant follow him round squeezing his knackers with those fencing pliers all the time can she  :D :D

nice little tractor mark looks very up together mate , dont really think sehe needs any rubdown or respray , all looks genuine & original.

thanks John... she gets the windscreen wiper for her half... would you believe it... it's not working and has to go  ::);D:D :D

the V5 bit i expect john  ;) after all she cant follow him round squeezing his knackers with those fencing pliers all the time can she  :D :D

nice little tractor mark looks very up together mate , dont really think sehe needs any rubdown or respray , all looks genuine & original.

Umm... jury is still out on that one mate... you'll have to see her 'up close and personal' to make a judgement call on that one mate I reckon.... would be a shame to let her rust any further really... she's so clean and straight she could possibly deserve a make over  :-\

whoa there chap , the rust you have there i would imagine is next to nothing , if you went all out on a full refurb or even just a respray , you'd be taking the originality away from it , & if thats the case you'd have been just as well to have bought a 2008 model & stuck that spare badge on it  :(

really mate all it needs is an afternoon of T-cut & a good polish

really cant beleive you'd actually contemplated tampering with something as good & fresh as what you have , if it was beat about & spent a lifetime on a yard scrapper then i could understand the decision  :(

got me really upset now  :'( :'( ;)