Marky Woods

Lord Ferguson

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blimey mark sorry to have missed this topic , but it's starting to read like a catalogue  :D  just need an add to cart & go to checkout button  ;D

50 original type potato boxes please :)

as for the sign posts , how about getting one of them make yer own stamp machines

worked for the potato boxes ?

:o I am stunned.... At last Marky has discovered something he is good at  :-*

I bet Diane wishes it was something more productive though  :-*

Well done bignose  ;)

Catalogue required & pricelist etc...

And it appears that you actually enjoying it too  :-*

:o I am stunned.... At last Marky has discovered something he is good at  :-*

I bet Diane wishes it was something more productive though  :-*

Well done bignose  ;)

Catalogue required & pricelist etc...

And it appears that you actually enjoying it too  :-*

well all bar the potato boxes barry  :-\

thanks lads...

Actually... I am quite enjoying it... although... I have been pretty inundated with orders as well... which is great in some ways... but finding the time is proving a little difficult with work as well...  :-[

At least I have a bit of room the spread myself out now Fanny is out of my garage as well  :'( .... It seems so big compared to what I have been use to  ;D

Marcus... I love those spud boxes... as Jez said... it really does finished them off a treat mate.  Would work well on the signposts as well... one they have been painted white I reckon  :)

I was in  the workshop again today.... and I thought to myself it would be a good idea to share some of my 'tips' for making wooden things... in fact... small things...

As i have spent most of my life (well it feels that way anyway  :'( ) 'batch producing' wooden stuff I've stumbled across a few time saving measures that you may find useful...

I'll keep adding to this as I think of more... I suspect I'm taking some of them for granted as I've been using them for some time  :-[

Anyway...

TIP 1.

Get yourself a bandsaw... they are not hugely expensive... with the 'fence' up you can produce cuts in equal length in high numbers.  The blade I have in mine will cut plastic, wood, aluminum and brass...

Here it is with the fence in place... I've been cutting some inside braces for my spud boxes...

DSC_6574r.jpg

MIND YOUR FINGERS... NEVER PUT YOUR FINGERS ON THE TABLE TO COLLECT CUT PARTS UNLESS THE BLADE IS STOPPED DEAD STILL...

When using a bandsaw... use a 'sacrificial push stick' to push your product through the blade  ;)

TIP 2.

Clamps - I love em !

Often when making things I find I need a third (or even fourth) hand... so invest in plenty of clamps.. all shapes and sizes - if you are soldering brass of course you will need metal ones (such as a G cramp)

here I am gluing the ends on some spud boxes again...

DSC_6575r.jpg

TIP 3.

Get a decent pencil for marking out... One thing I have noticed is that a pencil line can be tooooooo thick when marking out 'stuff' - I use a propelling pencil type (thanks Chessie.. I've been in your school pencil case)... the other problem with a sharpened pencil is that is starts off sharp (writing a nice crisp thin line) and wears down to a fat point.  For this reason a propelling type pencil is a lot more accurate to use.

DSC_6580r.jpg

TIP 5.

On the theme of needing a few more hands... this is my TOP TIP I reckon... make yourself a gluing table... it's simple any old lump of wood (mine was a bit of fence post I think).. with a nice big flat surface for the top... not too thick..

make it so it can be mounted in a vice... and when mounted it's at a comfortable height (when standing) to work with... I HATE bending and stooping when I am trying to arrange and glue things.

Now... here is the good bit... you can use some clamps to hold things in place while the glue dries... try clamping a small square to the top as an aid to keeping your gluing item square.

As for the rotation bit.... you can see I have numbered my 'corners' 1-4 - the reason I have done this is so that I can tell which items were glued first and last (for speed when working)... if I always start at number one I know I can go back to that corner to find the items that have been gluing the longest - clever hey  ;) - You can spin it around of course to always have your work in front of you  ;)

here is my table.. I've got some pallets gluing... so you can see how I use the clamps to hold my work while the glue is drying  ;)

DSC_6576r.jpg

TIP 6.

Make yourself a glue pot

I always find that my glue never comes out of the tub at the right speed and thickness of bead... I make myself some glue pots from any old scrap wood and use a cocktail stick as an applicator... if you only use one end you can hold it in your teeth in between gluing each item, keeping your hands free to arrange the work.

here is my little glue pots.. I made them from MDF... 10mm bit - don't drill all the way through so you form a pot - and you can see my 'gluing stick' - if it's too fine you can always chop the pointy end off to make the glue bead thicker  ;)

DSC_6577r.jpg

I'll do some more tips over the next few days... I hope you find them useful and can apply them to your own work