"Walter Derwent's" earthmover and plant photographs

Since my Dad started working for Clifford Watts again in East Yorkshire a month or so ago I began to badger him to take photographs for me. He's been working on various sites and more recently a big landfill site near Scunthorpe working alongside equipment belonging to major earthmoving contractor Jones of Ruthin in Wales. Here's what he came back with.

First of all my Dad's regular steed nowadays is this Komatsu D61PX.

DSC04509.jpg

DSC04512.jpg

DSC04515.jpg

Whilst on the same site near Driffield he was also using this little Hitachi excavator.

DSC04513.jpg

DSC04514.jpg

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few more from one of the quarries my Dad has been working in recently, starting with another Komatsu machine he's been occupying regularly, a PC240 excavator, whilst on the dozer he's been working behind a fleet of these Komatsu HM300 dump trucks.

DSC04544.jpg

DSC04545.jpg

DSC04547.jpg

DSC04548.jpg

As a contrast to the modern kit pictured in the most recent of photographs i've posted here's some older DJB, Terex and Caterpillar machines working on a quarrying operation not too far away from where I live around 20 years ago. The machine my Dad drove here is featured on page 2 of this topic, the big old Komatsu D155 with Kelly ripper.

n607405990_54172_9303.jpg

n607405990_54173_9784.jpg

n607405990_54174_244.jpg

n607405990_54175_7821.jpg

Final few, firstly the big DJB tipping over the edge, I believe these machines were later sold as Caterpillars.

n607405990_54180_1506.jpg

Extra "pushing power" was provided by this big old Caterpillar D9 belonging to the now defunct company Reynards.

n607405990_54181_1995.jpg

Vintage Caterpillar D8 helping out an old 50 ton capacity Terex rigid dump truck.

n607405990_54182_2503.jpg

Caterpillar motor scraper in action not sure what model number.

n607405990_54183_2998.jpg

Parked up at the end of the day.

n607405990_54184_3502.jpg

That last picture is class, makes the small gal look like she has a huge kelly ripper, nice old plant there, any more pictures to come?

Thanks Nick, the older quarrying photographs my Dad took are some of my favourites :)

Should have quite a few more to post in the next few days, but experiencing some problems with my scanner at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been searching through loads of family photographs recently and came across these. It would appear that even when my parents go on holiday, in this case to Lanzarote, my Dad can't seem to escape what he does for his day job. Don't think Mum was all that amused when he stopped to capture this pair of big Volvo EC450 excavators working. :)

IMG14_0001.jpg

IMG14_0002.jpg

IMG14_0003.jpg

IMG99.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like my kind of event there david, must be 5ish years ago those pics, -3 hyundi is quite old now, alot of cranes in the last pic there, i dont have many plant pics from the old boys day, have a few from my spell but i have to find them

Looks like my kind of event there david, must be 5ish years ago those pictures, -3 hyundi is quite old now, alot of cranes in the last picture there, i dont have many plant pictures from the old boys day, have a few from my spell but i have to find them

It's a fantastic event Nick and i'd love to attend again, i'm a little bit out of touch with all the latest modern plant. I went for 2 years consecutively when the event was held at Milton Keynes, it's now based at Rockingham motor racing circuit. When you do find them get posted up for us to see mate. I'm in the process of searching for some photographs of some classic plant that was on display at S.E.D, should have them found fairly soon.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thumbing through more wallets of photographs tonight of old plant and found this lovely pair of Caterpillar "dozer and box" combinations.

First up a D4 seen at a working day held at South Croxton in Leicstershire a few years back:

IMGcat_0001-1.jpg

And seen many years ago stripping land for a new industrial unit near Scarborough is this old D6 that as far as i'm aware is still putting in the hard yards today for a local company:

IMGcat_0002-1.jpg

IMGcat_0003-1.jpg

IMGcat_0004-1.jpg

IMGcat_0005-1.jpg

No better way to shift dirt in style, a dozer and scoop, particualry a D9G and cat hydrolic scoop

That's one seriously impressive combination you've captured there Nick, looks in very good order, great to see some pictures of yours and I can quite imagine the soundtrack, pure unadulterated bliss. :)

Couple of odd ball machines i have spotted of late ( not enough pics for my own topic, i will next time)

IMG_1431.jpg

What do we think this digger is? the dozer looks like a D5 cat

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

The scoop that goes with a Challnger 75, dont know where that is tho

IMG_1426.jpg

Our UHO 63 hitachi and the other brothers Hyundai RC55-7

IMG_1424.jpg

Thats all for now, next time ill start my own topic