classic tractor april 09

got my copy one of the best yet rory was that good couldn't decide what to read first so did farm favourites as one of our tractors is in thats our mf 355 8) 8){does this mean i get a free model as it says i do on the top of the page}  :-\ :-\just a couple of other things it says on the front cover cumbrian classics still at work but i can/t find them.and my copy is badly stapled together its come apart >:( >:(but apart from that it gets better each month keep up the good work. 8) 8)

Dear 10-4 (RC),

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Glad you liked the issue, but sorry you have had problems with poor binding. Drop me your full address at classictractor@btinternet.com and I'll send a replacement.

As for the free model, well usually these are for people who send in their own Farm Favourite stories, but seeing as you were so obliging to David Winthrop, our man in the Carlisle area, I don't have a problem sending you one. Your MF 355 is certainly a very nice machine and I'm pleased we've finally got round to getting it in the magazine after your initial contact.

'Cumbrian Classics' well, erm, what can I say other than it should perhaps have said 'Dumfriesshire Classics' (in the fleet). Oh dear. Still, at least there was some Cumbrian Classics in the Farm Favourites section and On the block.

Regards

R Day

Good issue this month, very interesting bit about the 40 series County thats been brought back from the Falklands. I hope there will be a follow up article when the restoration is complete.

I liked the "buying a classic for under £2k" article as well, interesting that this market seems to be holding up in these tough times.

In the Somerset Show story I see that Tony Adams has now found himself a 3350, be nice to see that one.  I wonder if he's still got the 3130 that was featured a few years back?

MDFord

Thanks for the comments. There will be a follow-up to the initial County 1184-40 story in a future issue, but as it's an ongoing project I don't know if we'll ever see it looking like new, new paint job and all. Time will tell I guess.

Likewise, there will be more on Tony's JD 3350 in a future issue, but possibly not for a few months.

Regards

R Day

Classic Tractor

Another cracking issue Mr Day.

I always wondered why nobody had gone to the Falklands to bring that baby back home. What I wouldn't give to own one of those.

The story says there were 10 series 40 Countys built, and then that there were only two 1184-40s.

What became of the other 8, and what models were they?

Look forward to more features on that tractor. She is a pure gem.

Keep up the good work.

Good issue this month, very interesting bit about the 40 series County thats been brought back from the Falklands. I hope there will be a follow up article when the restoration is complete.

I liked the "buying a classic for under £2k" article as well, interesting that this market seems to be holding up in these tough times.

In the Somerset Show story I see that Tony Adams has now found himself a 3350, be nice to see that one.  I wonder if he's still got the 3130 that was featured a few years back?

Well he does have a lot of free time now that Portsmouth have sacked him!

Just read through my copy, some fantastic articles as always. Stand out for me just had to be the culimination of the County story by Roger Thomas and the news about the 40 series model being brought back into this country. Having seen some of the superb photographs from the Power on the Land competition, I think i'm definitely going have a go this year.

Regards

David

The story says there were 10 series 40 Countys built, and then that there were only two 1184-40s.

What became of the other 8, and what models were they?

According to Stuart Gibbards books, the 10 tractors built were supplied to the Falkland Islands, Canada and St Helena.  There were uncabbed 744-40 and 1164-40, as well as the cabbed 1184-40.  At least one of the 1164-40s went to St Helena.  I can't find any more information than that!

(I haven't seen this issue yet - I'm still reading the last one!!!)

Got my copy in the week excellent read as always and a bumper model section Feature on the JD 7810 was also a good read goes to show just what a good tractor they are  :o :o :o

I heard sales where up 25% this month  :-\ :-\ ;D ;D