Demonstration Combines

Gav836

we wouldn't entertain a massey, too many problem ones locally. one farmer had a new one on demo with a chap from the factory, so his neighbour took a vintage 780 special there for a photo. the new one broke down but the 780 which hadn't been used for years kept plodding along much to the bemusement of the demonstrater chappy!!

I always tell anyone who wants a ride that they can come for one if they want to, helps to pass the time if you someone to talk to

i'll see you in the summer. should take me an hour to get there!  :D :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fendt pwr

wow this a good thread to read,great info to read there lads.

I always thought rotory combines were not very well liked in the U.K is that right or wrong? don't know why I thought that but I guess this would be the right thread to ask it any way. :)

Guest Fendt pwr

I've spent a bit of time fixing/adjusting them rotory case combines and I thought they were pigs of things to get the concaves out of more of a two man job.

You are kind of right fp. Rotary combines were always known for beating the straw, making for crappy bales and loosing straw through the stubble. Over the last ten years though the rotary combines have been given a second chance due to prices in the UK being so bad. The straw some years isn't worth a bean so trying to save it for baling and the sale of it seems pointless. The other thing was the climate. Rotary combines arn't too good in grain with higher m/c where as straw walkers will plod on through. Now though again due to prices, we want to harvest the grain at it's absoloute best quality, to do this you need to go when the time is right and as fast as you can. On this point the rotary's do clear up well!!

I drove Gleaner's in America, not a brand I knew anything about till I got there but having been a pilot on these things I can confess they are unreal. No gimicks or fancey bit's like the Case IH and the Deere's but that's the beauties. We ran with a guy who had CAT Lexion 570's in a few towns along the route and we left him standing. In Corn (Maize) he finally cracked and sold the four of them, finishing the season with second hand Deere 9610's.

Guest Fendt pwr

Yer thats why I asked about them in the U.K,I found them hard work when the crop is damp or it's late at night but the NHtf44 I drove would keep going even in the rain some times.

Now thats a great combine, the whole TF series were good combines for their time. Used to work for someone who ran a TF42 on 17ft bed, which just leapt along on the acres, he's still running it now 7 years later, says theres no point in changing it even though it's about 23 years old.

A baling contractor i know says quite often now they can't tell the difference between the rotary straw and walker straw. In fact this year the wheat was so fit that our 460 smashed the straw to pieces!!

my uncle is still actually running a MF525 on 600acres at present, pretty sure that it's a super II model as well. Never seems to cost them alot in repairs

Just don't stop and go backwards with that thing on the back !!! - Use to block them right back to the drum - and guess who use to get the job of going inside to unblock the walkers (spikey little buggers would go right through your boots) :(

Try unblocking a lexion 460 when its full of oilseed rape stalks! Ours done it last year, the chopper stopped, the sensor that tells me that it had stopped was faulty so it didn't show up, and i had to haul the equivelant of a round bale out by hand in 30 degree heat. All due to dust in the multiplug that keeps the chopper in gear  >:(

theres a local farmer down here traded in his 3 super 2 525's this yaer for 3 mf 38's said he was sad to see them go

I bet he'll have more trouble with the 38's than he ever had with the 525's if there anything like the ones that used to work locally here.

Rotarys around here are getting very common as claas 470's 480's and 580's are very common well are becoming very common as people are finding that they leave quite a good sample of straw in the end and the cover the acres quickly and easily. But there arnt many case axial flows etc around though

Nice to see the comments on the older combines. Nice to hear a little how we go to where we are today with the technology. Like Gavin said these days the differences between the walker and rotaries are very few and far between. Unblocking a Gleaner though is a sinch!! Sorry to hear about your stories of blocking rotaries solid but in a gleaner you can either pull the drum out the side of the machine or open up the drum housing from inside the engine bay, either way it's pretty easy. I bunged up our TX32 one year in really dry OSR, sliced me hands to pieces on the fibres, paper cut's galore!!

i bunged the drum up on the Lexion this year for the first time. Told the boss 2 minutes earlier that the straw on the wheat was getting too damp but, as usual he said keep going, so i did. Well started unloading in a trailer when the whole drum stalled which killed the combine, one was not amused!! But dragged a bit out by hand, opened up the concave and away she went with an almighty lump thankfully!! Cleared easier than i thought it would.? :)

Nice to see the comments on the older combines. Nice to hear a little how we go to where we are today with the technology. Like Gavin said these days the differences between the walker and rotaries are very few and far between. Unblocking a Gleaner though is a sinch!! Sorry to hear about your stories of blocking rotaries solid but in a gleaner you can either pull the drum out the side of the machine or open up the drum housing from inside the engine bay, either way it's pretty easy. I bunged up our TX32 one year in really dry OSR, sliced me hands to pieces on the fibres, paper cut's galore!!

I know all about that if you read my ealier post here about blocking our Lexion solid with OSR stalks in the straw walkers and chopper, not good is it!? :(