One of Simon's yet to be named farms in it's embryonic stages....

Simon

Well, it's all hell breaking loose with me... not only have I been randomly unpacking boxes and getting things out to play with that I really shouldn't like all naughty boys ::) .... But I've even set about some buildings ;D

I made a start last night - before Mrs H arrived home early and wanted me to light the Rayburn - on a simple pole barn to get into the swing of it....

This was kind of the first thing I pictured in my head for one of my planned farms - more a series of inter-related dioramas which over time [likely decades] I will put together, then get bored and want to do another one instead. I doubt very much I will have the patience of some to produce one really perfect farm :-[::)

Anywho, I have a kind of average small dairy farm in my head, I won't be going into building a really detailed parlour or anything like that, it will be a collection of typical aged buildings thrown together round a pretty scruffy yard and a range of JD machinery.... My thinking behind JD is sort of this.... I intend there to be a 2wd 2140 SG2, 4wd 3650, a 6400 with a loader and some kind of 20 series, probably a 6620.... They run JD by default because they made some money in the late eighties and early nineties and sort of feel they have to stick with them now.... they stretched themselves and bought a second hand 6400 & 6620 recently but the SG2's have been on farm since new and they can't warrant changing them for the hours they do, so they'll stay til they die, but will no doubt be disposed of in a farm sale when the old boy pops it...

Kit wise they'll get the Keenan, probably Barry's West spreader when I get my paws on it, I'd like some clamp silage but this will be contractor made so I don't need to buy any kit, although I could be persuaded by one of Brian's trailed choppers... course then I'd need trailers [AW of course ;)] tedders etc... I'll probably give them a mounted mo-co, and a few other essentials but I don't want to over mechanise.... they may get a telehandler but if they do it will most likely be a Britains JD converted into a really tatty Matbro...

OK, so that's my plan which no doubt will change, and here's the first building....

It scales to have 3 number 4.8m bays, 6m deep & 6m eaves [i drew it in my CAD package before I started to make my life a bit easier, will probably do this for all the buildings and that way I can plan it all out too... ;)]

It'll be open front and back with possibly clad gables, corrugated card painted black and squashed and bent to look like an old GP store, plenty of rust and flaky paint.

I'm using 6 or 8mm MDF for the base because it's what I had to hand, but will probably continue with it on all the other buildings & yards because it cuts and paints & drills really easily - although I'd like to get some relief in it somewhere so that will end up as papier mache...

Anyway, here's progress so far... I'm making bowstring trusses out of plastruct to sit on top of timber poles [ex-telegraph poles, a common practice round here] with a timber eaves purlin. It'll then get timber purlins fixed across the trusses and corrugated card on top of that. I'll use the same timber for sheeting rails on the ends and possibly take this down to the floor.

I started with my MDF base board and marked out the bays, drilling though at the centres of the poles and putting brass screws up from underneath. The poles were piloted out and glued and screwed down onto the base board.

The eaves purlin was piloted out through into the top of the poles and 25mm pins nailed through the 2 with a dab of glue between. Not sure how I'll fix the trusses yet, possibly with small screws into the purlin.

All the timber will be stained to look like aged creosote and the trusses with be painted to a flaky old black finish... The base board will be roughed up with something and painted / scattered to become a dirt floor.

It'll probably house a couple of bays of hay or straw and a pile of fert bags and some random piece of kit, fert spreader or something.... I'm getting quite into it :-[::):D

post-1414-13263905289_thumb.jpg

post-1414-132639052897_thumb.jpg

Couple more.... I've made a jig up of sorts for the trusses but unfortunately my plan to use styrene angle for the bow wasn't working out. I had some square section handy but it was a bit short so I'm going to have to re-build this truss with a shorter king post....it pitches over at an angle at the ridge rather than gently curving, I could take this out by doing away with a ridge purlin and fitting one either side of the apex but I don't think that will be strong enough.... I've got the struts to put in it yet too, these will be done in angle as per the intermediate posts...

The TM & Colin's 106 are parked up to give you an idea of scale....

post-1414-132639052904_thumb.jpg

post-1414-132639052914_thumb.jpg

Cheers Pete.... I need to source some corrugated card to finish this one, hopefully get the frame finished this evening if I don't tackle the Renault ;)

Thanks Dave, yeah, I shouldn't read too much of my drivel Dave :D :D

I've just sketched out a rough layout and it has become loosely modelled on the neighbouring dairy farm where I grew up, the only changes being those caused by 15 intervening years... ;)

It's very rough but will give you an idea of what I'm aiming for... ;)

post-1414-132639052929_thumb.jpg

Wicked! Sounds ace O Galant one. Make sure for gods sake, you can transport it to shows!! We have at least three awesome dioramas on here locked away in attics. That ain't no good!!

Never seen a dutch barn made this way. Only ever mono or open span sheds or lean-to on an existing shed. Interesting stuff me 'ol fruit. There are detailed pics of my trusses in Leverets Farm somewhere, Simon ;)

Ahhhhhhhhh,

This will be nice to see mate!!!

I can see the Renault has been pushed to the back and on with the buildings.......... just like my workbench used to be...

Good to hear they are green, some of the best I see, 40, 50 and 10 series!!

great start Simon mate , going to be a fab diorama. :) :) going to keep an eye on this one ;)

Thanks Mark, I'm doing the same with yours and will be pinching ideas ;);D

Wicked! Sounds ace O Galant one. Make sure for gods sake, you can transport it to shows!! We have at least three awesome dioramas on here locked away in attics. That ain't no good!!

Never seen a dutch barn made this way. Only ever mono or open span sheds or lean-to on an existing shed. Interesting stuff me 'ol fruit. There are detailed pics of my trusses in Leverets Farm somewhere, Simon ;)

It will have to be mobile because it's being made at home but will be displayed at the farm... plan is to have the sheds on individual panels which will all sit 'somehow' into the 'hill' :-\

Did you get your wrapper this morning by the way ???;D

looks promising, will you be building it on the slope as per the bottom corner pic?? or just on the level??? was looking at possibly adding a sloped field onto mine at some point, add a bit of height ect to it

Will all be on the slope mate.... that's the plan anyway.... this is just a sort of intro to get into the swing of things.... the grand plan is to do our own farm but that needs way more accuracy and the buildings aren't as easy as I've made them....

Ahhhhhhhhh,

This will be nice to see mate!!!

I can see the Renault has been pushed to the back and on with the buildings.......... just like my workbench used to be...

Good to hear they are green, some of the best I see, 40, 50 and 10 series!!

Yes :-[ But don't tell Colin :-[:D Don't know why I've decided to go green, just like the older ones and thought it would give it a nice 'story'.... I'd rather have blue [like the farm this is modelled on actually ran] but Fords on dairy units breaks my heart ;):D :D :D

Anyway, playing catchup to all of you lot ;):D

Nearly finished the trusses now, just got the struts to fit in 2 of them, should take me another 20 minutes or so then will stick 'em on ;D

Thanks Dave & Mike...

Barn is about finished now, have soaked some boxes apart to get some corrugated card for the roof but the spacings are a bit wide so this will be a temporary solution.... beyond that just the trusses to paint and the floor to turn into dirt and job's a goodun... back to the 106 now :D I'll post some photos tomorrow ;);D

Haven't worked that out yet.... will probably just go over it randomly with a flap wheel or wire brush on a grinder, PVA and then some sort of dirt & dust.... :-\

All the structure is now assembled, and the corrugated card has dried to a nice curve.... however, the 2 pieces have stucke themselves together as the glue has cured again so I'm going to have to paint a bit of warm water between to get them to come apart slowly. I'll tack these on with a bit of something & paint them up and it will do for now....

Planted some pre-conversion Deeres in there so you can get an idea for the grand plan ;);D

So photos...

Trusses on & purlins fitted

post-1414-132639053415_thumb.jpg

post-1414-132639053424_thumb.jpg

Some colour on the timber.... it needs another coat and some hitting with a chisel but the legs have had a mixture of dark brown fence paint and black model paint mixed with lots of thinners to create almost a 'wash'. It needs more black yet though... cladding on the roof to dry out....

post-1414-132639053437_thumb.jpg

post-1414-132639053466_thumb.jpg

I think you have abandon your own ship Simon!!!You're a high speeder now mate  :D :D :D :D

It seems to be awesome,how big it gonna be with fields and all mate ?

Er, bigger than I thought :-[ Didn't look too big when I drew it but this barn is the one on the right on the plan next to the silage pit :-[::):D :D

With some green stuff in it...

post-1414-132639053473_thumb.jpg

post-1414-132639053481_thumb.jpg

I think you have abandon your own ship Simon!!!You're a high speeder now mate  :D :D :D :D

It seems to be awesome,how big it gonna be with fields and all mate ?

Having looked at the plan I reckon the whole layout will be about 4 metres by 3 metres give or take with a bit of field round it.... That's pretty hefty :-[:D

I have surprised myself actually mate with how quick I put it together.... I reckon there's a lot more scope for me as a barn builder than a customiser! :D :D Big question is, can I finish it ???::):D

Having looked at the plan I reckon the whole layout will be about 4 metres by 3 metres give or take with a bit of field round it.... That's pretty hefty :-[:D

I have surprised myself actually mate with how quick I put it together.... I reckon there's a lot more scope for me as a barn builder than a customiser! :D :D Big question is, can I finish it ???::):D

Yes you can  ;D

My little yard with a couple of fields is 180cm x 180cm mate. Building buildings is ace, little less intricate, more room for mistakes, make it up as you go along . . . untill you start the interiors anyway.

My little yard with a couple of fields is 180cm x 180cm mate. Building buildings is ace, little less intricate, more room for mistakes, make it up as you go along . . . untill you start the interiors anyway.

It is, I'm really getting into it and I think it's more enjoyable than doing the tractors :-\ :D

I might have to condense this one down a bit.... I'm going to draw up a site plan [in 3D donchaknow ;):D] so I can work it all out... that way I can hopefully build the terrain first which I can then plant the buildings into which hopefully will make for some more entertaining photos than my boring old workbench ;);D

barn looks well, every model farm should have one

Cheers Bob. Every farm might be able to soon mate....! ;D I've been thinking that if I'm careful how I build them it could be viable to build them to sell and deliver within the UK mainland.... if anyone's interested let me know! :D