My Model Builds - Past and Present.

B O R

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im now 4.5 days into the JD mower builds.....they nearly drove me astray on mon and tue.......i never would have imagined they,d be so difficult to make into a model..i knew mowers would cause problems but it,s so hard to work out a price to 1 is built.....i estimate that im halfway through them now,so ive another 4or 5 days of hardship left to there complete...my 1365 mower which you will see soon is a 3 day build or maybe more with the swather and is off mainly brass and custom made components....getting all the movements right takes alot of fine measuring and cutting and trying it all together constantly to make sure its working right...i came in to the house on mon and tue eve and was sleeping after 10 mins at the tv.....builds like this can be mentally draining as the head is being used all the time.........i promised myself today id only make another 5-6 of these mowers,so when i get them finished ill post pics and then take orders for a one off batch as i wouldnt want to be facing builds this complex every week...i think i need to build a linkbox or balespike to remind myself what its like to actually have something finished the same day!!!!!!!!

im now 4.5 days into the JD mower builds.....they nearly drove me astray on mon and tue.......i never would have imagined they,d be so difficult to make into a model..i knew mowers would cause problems but it,s so hard to work out a price to 1 is built.....i estimate that im halfway through them now,so ive another 4or 5 days of hardship left to there complete...my 1365 mower which you will see soon is a 3 day build or maybe more with the swather and is off mainly brass and custom made components....getting all the movements right takes alot of fine measuring and cutting and trying it all together constantly to make sure its working right...i came in to the house on mon and tue eve and was sleeping after 10 mins at the tv.....builds like this can be mentally draining as the head is being used all the time.........i promised myself today id only make another 5-6 of these mowers,so when i get them finished ill post pictures and then take orders for a one off batch as i wouldnt want to be facing builds this complex every week...i think i need to build a linkbox or balespike to remind myself what its like to actually have something finished the same day!!!!!!!!

but then you would think of something to make it even better and then it will take you longer and longer to finish :P:-*

im just in after 5 long days at these jd mowers,and ive so far yet to go..im honestly thinking that these 3 might be a one off as the cost of such a model would be simply too high....they are the most tiring and awkwardest to build...so many exposed parts that have to be painstakingly hand made..and as the model is so heavy a great deal of strenght has to be incorporated....im going to stay at them now to there done but i dont know if i could face any more......ill be starting a new mower soon,and will be doing a one off batch of 3 again so when ive decided on the model ill post it here...

ill be hanging in there ciaran.but sometimes there are models that just stump us...it may look fine as the real one but when you go to build it,you realise all the problems...i made the body 1st,which has a serious amount of in,s and out,s...then the frame from brass and along the way making every ram housing,springs,spring housing,lifting rams,and had to get the drawbar working so that the pto shaft can extend when in working position..i like a challenge but an odd model just gets sickening and to be honest my days work on mon and tue could hardly be seen,all measuring,squaring,trying on and taking apart to correct mistakes...i think for my next mower builds ill do 3 of them new shape taarup (i think 4032)??  so there,ll be 2 to sell

or just build a frame and have horizontal and vertical wire that can slide in through parts of the model so you can hold the model in place no mater what angel you spray it from or move the frame into what ever position suits.

i done that to make some trees  ::)

and as always brian your models are amazing  8) 

mowers are built,worked sat and sun and painted them today....there will be a lot of building together now,the swather belt,the skirts,the pto shafts,the hoses,the lights,wheel fitting etc etc....its been one of the most difficult builds ive tackled to date..ill have them finished soon but very much doubt if there,ll be more as there,s a hell of a lot of hours to add up.....pics soon....

ive made a few upgrade to my class 900 greeneye....meant stripping her of course....these pics show the new steering axle made and being fitted....i sliced a mf 5480 axle and used the ends inserted into a brass square tube...theis way i got the axle the right width and had the steering ends

post-1779-132639332116_thumb.jpg

post-1779-132639332159_thumb.jpg

the 1st pc shows the forager back together again with a scratchbuilt pu300 hd  header i made for a customer..i want to make myself a header like this for this machine

post-1779-132639332215_thumb.jpg

post-1779-132639332226_thumb.jpg

here is a picture of the scratchbuilt header sitting beside a norscott version that i narrowed down and repainted this week for a customer.......the norscott version narrowed would of course be a lot cheaper option than the scratchbuilt one...note.my scratchbuilt header still has to be fitted with the mesh above the auger

post-1779-132639332381_thumb.jpg

post-1779-132639332402_thumb.jpg

last pic of the 900..hopefully soon ill get round to building a header for it...was and still is a close call between a pu300hd grass header and a direct disc 520 header with transport trailer

post-1779-132639332417_thumb.jpg

Archived