what can and can't you have cast

nathan

Question

i was just wondering what you can get cast . say if you had a britains cab cast that was no longer stocked by britains. would it be ok or not.

its just i see things being cast be it wheels, exhausts,floor pans etc.

any help would be great thanks ;)

19 answers to this question

cheers for the reply tris, was going to do that. i'm wanting to know if i get something cast , am i going to be sued or not, say if i wanted to have a load of mf 595 cabs will britains object. its just you see all these people selling repo parts and i just thought about getting a few cabs done myself.

You can get most things cast within reason, wouldn't suggest doing a whole Britains model for example without making changes to it first as that would leave you open to legal action. The casting firm that I use will ask for any model company names to be removed from any items that you send them as well ;)

cheers for the info guys, really what i want to do is have the nh 6635 cab and floor pan done and may be the mf 6290 cab and floor pan if that can be done as well. also uh wheels etc

its getting a very full market for stuff like this nath, be carefull what you do otherwise you could end up with a shed load of parts that everyone sells already, several ebay sellers are already doing some obscure parts like log trailer uprights ect, along with a fair few cabs already, even floorpans,

that mf cab might be hard to do as well as its all cast in clear i recon then parts painted, those clear resins are a pig to get right, i have tried with a few bits for my 390t's when i did some, and cab glazing to, it never looks good

its getting a very full market for stuff like this nath, be carefull what you do otherwise you could end up with a shed load of parts that everyone sells already, several ebay sellers are already doing some obscure parts like log trailer uprights ect, along with a fair few cabs already, even floorpans,

that mf cab might be hard to do as well as its all cast in clear i recon then parts painted, those clear resins are a pig to get right, i have tried with a few bits for my 390t's when i did some, and cab glazing to, it never looks good

when i do westpoint i get asked for old britains parts and decals , i bought a load of parts off ebay put a bit for my self and they all sold by 12 noon. going to have a chat with a firm that do casting etc and they say they do plastics so you never know.

by the way whats best white metal or resin , or what parts are better off white metal and what parts are better off resin. its just so i have a better picture of what to get done.

personally i say resin, easier to work with, doesnt bend like white metal does, the few cabs i have used in that dont take a lot to put out of shape,

as for the clear, i think you will find thats why a lot of people who sell say repo glazing for the later fords ect use that vacum pressed thin stuff as aposed to the thicker origonal stuff, i guess rc2 or similar have the dosh to have the machinery to do thicker press stuff??

whats that in english mm nath :D :D :D :D :D :D :D seems very thin going by those sizes, is that just clear stuff??

they say can do tinting . i would say the mf6290 idea is out the window now :'(

i think its time to ring them for a chat and see what they can do .

they say can do tinting . i would say the mf6290 idea is out the window now :'(

i think its time to ring them for a chat and see what they can do .

why tint it?? doesnt need to be does it, clear would be fine for it,one idea might be cut al the glazed pannels out leaving the thicker frame work, then get that cast?? make a seperate thinner pressed/vacumed glass unit made for it?? i could use them for opening doors ect easy

I cant get my head around floor pans with the outer wings still attached  :-\

im thinking of doing the ERTL IH 784 cab but in sections

i.e    do the front pannet to the cab

then the right hand side

then the left hand side

then the top

just glue them together so you have a 4 pice cab glued together

as for the floor-pan im stuck as i would love to have that cast as one pice

i can do the front of the tractor easy i recon its just that dreaded floor pan  :'( :'( >:(

another week and i will be moveing into my new workshop  ;) ;) ;) ;)

cheers for the reply tris, was going to do that. i'm wanting to know if i get something cast , am i going to be sued or not, say if i wanted to have a load of mf 595 cabs will britains object. its just you see all these people selling repo parts and i just thought about getting a few cabs done myself.

Britains wouldnt object Nathan, RC2 may but as mentioned, slight changes should be ok ;), many cast them anyway so as Sean said, could be a flood in the stuff :-\ :-\

now that seems easy :D :D :D really need to get the whole thing clear then paint the black bits.

prob easier than you think mate, its only 6 bits to cut out, only need to do it once to, thats it, keep it as the master for the moulds,

nice fine dremmel balde, then some filing down and corner finishing job done,one peice cast inc the roof, ,if you do the roof seperate to the cab it clearly will cost you two moulds when they make them  1 mould keeps the work down

i do cast stuff i need myself, mostly so i can replicate my convos if i fancy, but never considered doing bulk casts, might be worth it for a few items i have mind