MODEL OF THE MOMENT - Britains Massey Ferguson 590 - And It's 1:1 Scale Brother

Well where do we start, Britains intoduced the Massey Ferguson 590 in 1977, A year after the real 500 series were produced.

The range consisted of the 550,565,575,590 and 595 and from 1978 onwards the latter three were available with a 4WD option  ;)

In the Britains catalogue, The first 595 appeared in 1976 and the 590 appeared a year later in 1977. It only featured in the catalogue for one year which makes it quite rare and a model high up on the collectors wanted list  :)

The 590 recieved the Perkins A4 248s Engine, which produced a respectable 79 hp at 2200 engine rpm.

PerkinsOnThe590Medium.jpg?t=1246201964

MasseyFerguson590003.jpg?t=1246202001

The 590 had a top speed of 26.7 km/h And weighed 4.515 KG.

The transmission on the 590 consisted of 4 forward, 1 reverse with high/low range or multi-power, some 500 series tractors were later converted to Multi-Power which is basically Massey Fergusons on-the-go gear change. When you move the lever on the tractors dash the tractor changes gear (up or down) and you do not need to depress the clutch pedal for this gear shift to work (I think i'm sort of right on that one!)

The back end of the 590 had a 3 point linkage which was category 2 (I think) and it's maximum lift was 2,227 kg  :)

MasseyFerguson590.jpg?t=1246202705

And the real deal  ;)

backlinkage.jpg?t=1246202452

The view from the cab was relitively good too  :)

MF550ct4.jpg

Here's a few pictures of the Britains 590

MasseyFerguson590001.jpg?t=1246202884

MasseyFerguson590006Medium.jpg?t=1246202941

MasseyFerguson590008Medium.jpg?t=1246202994

And last but not least, the Brochure front covers for the 590 & 590 4WD and a Spec sheet  :)

MF590BrochureScan.jpg?t=1246203832

MF590BrochureScan2.jpg?t=1246203855

MF590BrochureScan3Spec.jpg?t=1246203875

i've drove alot of these over the years , i enjoy driving them now and i think the britains 590/595 is still one of the best models out there and is a must for any collection .the only thing i didn't like was the height of the seat in the cab when you were out in the steep ground ,it didn't feel as safe as the 290/390. even the 290 was a taller tractor than the 590 but with the 290 seat being lower it felt safer. they made good veg field working tractors compared to the fords and jds we tried .  a basic all round of a tractor . ;)

at placement they had a 565 on the scraper  :) what a tractor it would turn on a nail fair play and it had nippy gears too which is good for scraping  :)

In all honesty that's about all a 565 was good for... pretty gutless machine the 565... same engine .236 engine in the 575 with a bit more Oooomph from the pump - much beter weapon.

The 590 had the .248 engine which was even better... it was effectively a long stroking .236 engine.... superb  :-*

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

missed this MOTM luke , well done mate about time the 590 was done & as lord fergo pointed out the real deal backend belongs to a 550 but no big deal there mate as so does your real deal engine shot  :D

couple of things you could have pointed out though

the gear box fitted in these tractors were optional , most common were the 8 speed , or the 6 speed multipower. post 1980 tractors could be spec'd with the ever popular 12speed synchro although it could test you patience when trying to change 3 gear sticks at any one time  :D i think most people used the main gears as normal & used the final fast gear change like an overdrive gear  :D

cab update around 1981 to give the driver two doors to fall out of , but in reality the second door was added for no other reason than to take away the pain from having your fingers being amputated by the top hinged side window & so the cab floor could be swept out properly on the 550 /565 models (the 575 & 590 you could just manage) although , it did make it awkward having to undo the skanky rope needed to pull the trip for the non power loader version of the 80 loader , after the electric trip spool failed as soon as it was delivered to the farm .

also updated was the front grill which went from a two peice removable top part  to a one fully removeable one peice grill , the reason for this was that the grills fell out regularly & mf realised they could make more money if the farmer had to replace his lights as well as the grill ! bingo  more revenue.

french cabs had two steps & brit cabs had one step  is a common misconception  british cabs were also built with two steps although missing one step can give you a nasty grazed shin just as much as two steps , even worse if you just try hopping up to the cab & miss the step (steps) completely & smack you shin & kneecap making carry on smiling like the brave little soldiers we were

pah of course it didn't hurt  8) 8) :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

i'm sure there's more i can't remember from driving these brilliant tractors  but i'll leave it there for now , when the fog in my head clears i may jot some more down , i think the 500 series were great tractors ..... no ... seriously  :)

also updated was the front grill which went from a two peice removable top part  to a one fully removeable one peice grill , the reason for this was that the grills fell out regularly & mf realised they could make more money if the farmer had to replace his lights as well as the grill ! bingo  more revenue.

french cabs had two steps & brit cabs had one step  is a common misconception  british cabs were also built with two steps although missing one step can give you a nasty grazed shin just as much as two seps ,:)

Now then Mr Barrett... I can assure you that I've seen two steppers (590's) that have been Banner Lane built ;)  I reckon I've got some photo's somewhere at home to prove it too

yes i think i have already made that bit clear

matter of fact luke the funniest part about this MOTM is that your model looks like the real deal more than your real deal pics of the deal deal  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

this week i r mostly larfin too much  :D :D    *in jessie's diet stylee*

• 3 months later...

i loved our old 565,it was a single door,  silver  topped cab version.........as you say , turn on a sixpence. the A4.236 engine I`m told had superb oil flow through the engine which made it extremely suitable for adding the turbo to it.......we took the wee fat dumpy 12 x 28 wheels off it and bought  an old set of 12 x 36 for it, they helped it a lot.the front grill too eh..........dad baled one once so it had a nice curve longways.lost another one on the way to bale for a fella a few miles away........just so happened mum was coming back from shopping, met dad almost ready to turn into the farm,only when she got nearer home,saw something lying on the road........she passed by and thought , hang on thats the front off the tractor , so turned round and picked it up  ;D

we changed the 565 to a 575  and it was not half the tractor ........590 backend  565 engine with the tweaked pump..........to me it didnt make a lot of difference other than to suck up more fuel.......perhaps i`m  wrong  on that but it`s how it seemed to me. I wish i had the old girl now osm 646 s  was the reg number and it headed over to ireland oh back in 90 or 91.

I love the 590 we have but yes agree the 390 did seem more stable and a 2wd one i borrowed did too.....it`s useless in the wet however, you could stick it on a big cowpat.one day perhaps i`ll get it done up .

typical isnt it , both brother and i had proper  britains 590`s and both no longer exisit due to play wear GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRR >:( >:( . I  hope that UH make a 2wd version eh lads?

that's interesting John.. I've learnt something tonight... I always thought the 575 was a much better machine to the 565 with all that extra HP... but it's good to get the opinion of a 'proper pilot' and not an armchair driver like myself..

I can understand how that bigger backend sapped the extra power... the 590 had some beefy final drives as well

if i remember rightly mark it wasnt that much extra hp was it? 67 instead of was it 62?  i`ve just forgotten now  but thats how i felt about it.oh and our 575 had the different configuration gearbox 2nd and 3rd were the opposite way round  with the 3rd over to the right hand side in line with 4th.

can i just say also , we had the 590 by the time the 575 came , ( the mf 80  loader went off the 565 onto the 575 too) we were doing the heavier  work with the 590 so the 575 wasnt getting all the abuse the 565 was.

I`m no expert but is it possible with these two  particular machines rather than a comparison in general, was due to the way the 565 was run in, it did all the main work when it came new( except the loader work) this was a lot less back in 1978 as we weren`t round baling . I know where the 575 came from, it was a stockman`s tractor and spent its days  just pottering around except when needed  for silage in summer .......

Perkins engines  always did need working hard and bedding in  too makethem perform well, the biggest issue with them  was work them hard and bed them in or they would glaze up very easily . Not uncommomn for  AD3.152/ A4.236 AND A4,248 engines  to be gutless blue smokers and require new rings and glaze busting.

get a good one  well bedded in good engines with a nice healthy bit of brown n black smoke.

quite a few A4.236 engines got turbocharged  and never seemed to do them much harm  - a few blown headgaskets  and sheared head bolts and studs , rarely any bottom end problems. these engines later became factory turbo charged especially in telescopic handlers and small loading shovels.

I think  it was the A4.236 they used in the 390T wasn`t it..........we never had a 200 series ....I think they rated the 590 at 75 hp, the 290 at 77hp and the 390 at 80hp and if i am correct they were able to do this without making changes as virtually every engine during testing  produced 80hp plus...........someone may know better than me and please correct me if thats not the case.

I remember a 590 2wd nearby getting traded in for a  late version 298T 4wd,  the change lasted  just over a year. when the 399 came out they took one of them and were much happier with it

compared to these virtually  bullet proof old girls (500 series )  the 4200 and 4300 around here  at least got a very bad name being far less reliable , many were changed to other makes........fair comment all round???????

i think the A4.236 was probably MF's / perkins most adaptable engine . was used on tractors such as the 168, 565,575, 265 675,698t etc............

the 675 was powered by the A.,236 & when the 698T came around the decision to use the 236 was because of it's better cooloing properties than that of the A4.248  A4.3182 engine's

got to remember a 236 was also boosted to 1000hp on the MF works stock tractor puller , the 265 nipper

The A4.212, 236 and 248 were all the same engine 'famly' ... just differing cc's which was (I believe) all in the throw of the crankshart.. making the 248 a lovely 'long stroking' engine with plenty of grunt.

you can't beat a long stoking engine in my opinion... Hattie is a long stroking 4 pot... and she's got some grunt as a result of it.. for example.. the 6470 is the same sisu lump... but looses 500cc (it's 4.4ltr) on the stroke making it a lot less powerful than my 4.9ltr lump in my 5480.