harvest has started

Tractorman810

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

could well be winter barley colm, this field was planted sept/oct last year, crops been nice and gold for a couple of weeks now sits on top of a hill in a pretty sunny position, is usally his first filed cut, surprised me for sure seeing it there, hencemy post, was then starting out on the headlands,about 50m of the gate on pass one

Could have been for crimping, Sean. We're waiting on some hot weather again to put put some through the combine for an organic chap, crimping barley too.

Barley is turning and just needs the sun to dry it over. Wheat isn't there yet and some has suffered drought badly. Rape is full of hemlock and cleavers at a few farms where they deemed it not worthy for spraying.

The old farmers round here years ago used to say,  "When you think your barley is ripe, go on a fortnights holiday".  It isn't usually as ripe as it looks.

Most folks seem to combine cereals well before they are properly ripe nowadays. 

The old farmers round here years ago used to say,  "When you think your barley is ripe, go on a fortnights holiday".  It isn't usually as ripe as it looks.

Most folks seem to combine cereals well before they are properly ripe nowadays. 

yeah thats what my dads been saying. you are totally right though. alot of the straw must still be quite green

There's a few people started in Suffolk now and looking at ours and our neighbours we're about a week off but our other neighbour is only a day or two off starting on his lighter land. I'm on holiday this week so slim chanve of us starting, tramlines are still green on ours anyway

I had a walk round everything today so I think I will start Roundup on winter barley this week - so it's around 14 days to harvest then. OSR and wheat are a long way off  :)

I started cutting last sat

first field was 198 acres wheat was jager 11% moisture with a test weight of 63lb/ bushel

combine is a john deere 9770 sts just got it 2 days before i started cutting

deere 4760 tractor on a kinze chaser bin  and artics carting the grain to the grain silo in town

on the way to work this morning, a john deere 9780i hillmaster sat at the side of a field after cutting something (not sure what!)... im guessing hes goin to move on today to some more

Well harvest has just started here on the Marsh. Local farmer and claas 440? just gone buy in to a field of barly. Only cut in to the field so far says the be going at 1pm today let it dry a bit had a lot of rain here last few days.

Well thats the winter barley all looking nice and golden up here in Aberdeenshire. Was out towards Portsoy today and the winter barley is all golden and the round up has gone on already maybe another 2 weeks OSR is also drying off couple of weeks for that too. Spring barley has in most places started to turn well the earlier planted stuff that is. There is a farmer at Auchterless that will be putting the combine throught the barley soon as he crimps 200 acres.