Marky's mini and micro digger topic - Now with 'lil' Doug new on 08th June 2011

Was using a mini digger yesterday for a mate... who'd hired it from a mate of his for cash (if that makes sense)... and I got to thinking that I would quite like to have a small diger in stock to hire out on 'mates rates' on the odd occasion...

This was a 1.5t Tekushi or whatever you call it... quite a nice bit of kit really...

So... any idea who sells them ??? - ow much they are ??? any pitfalls from any of you in the know ???

I'm aware that a lot get pinched... so if I did have one if would be 'hidden away' and only hired to those I know

5772_103397703276_689253276_2226441.jpg

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mate of mine's a builder, He's got a Takeuchi TB016, don't think you could go far wrong with one of those, marvellous little machine.

I was highly impressed with it I must say... no a lot of breakout force... but a nice litle machine to use  :-\

The chap who owns this paid £6500 from ebay evidently

work used to have a jcb one, on the indespension trailer the works buckets wise, and a mini pole auger, sold it after 1 year to our local track/box digger, and they still have it, must be a good 5 years plus old now, not had any probs, these jap ones may be cheaper but they work on the principle of pay for the quallity and it pays you back ???

they have also got one a bit like that one in the pic, and want to change it to a new jcb? these guys are known for being cheap skates with everything else but not the mini diggers they use 

buy a takeuchi as they will over power any other digger. we had a jcb 3.5ton then changed to a 3.5ton takeuchi, unreal differnce in power. aso the boom is quite a bit longer which is a bonus!

the takeuchi digger was the first ever mini digger manufactured too 8);) ;) ;) ;)

work used to have a jcb one, on the indespension trailer the works buckets wise, and a mini pole auger, sold it after 1 year to our local track/box digger, and they still have it, must be a good 5 years plus old now, not had any probs, these jap ones may be cheaper but they work on the principle of pay for the quallity and it pays you back ???

they have also got one a bit like that one in the picture, and want to change it to a new jcb? these guys are known for being cheap skates with everything else but not the mini diggers they use 

I hate to dissagree with you Sean but my boss say's if you want a lorry go to Sweden, if you want a car go to Germany and if you want a digger go to Japan :D :D

We have had expreance of JCB mini diggers and i'd say the Takeuci's, Kubota's and Volvo's are far superior ;) ;)

with another topic talking about soil in dumpy bags etc getting one would be a good idea ;)

a kubota 3/4 ton one with retrackable tracks , this means it will go threw a gap of 31 or 33 inchs can't remeber which off the top of my head. my mate has one . he dad got it for clearing the cow sheds and he does landscaping so its handy when going threw garden gates and garden paths. so not only selling top soil but a digger to clear a space for the soil.has to be a winner marky ;);D

you think how much work you save by having a mini digger I hire them from time to time for my landscaping work usually they are JCB  or kubota great for filling skips and spreading gravel and worth every penny.

My brother runs a mini digger and JCB sitemaster hire company and says what would he do without them :)

now that sounds like a good idea Nathan... I'm liking that a lot...

its very handy mate , i hire my mates all the time  for garden work. pampus grass ,tree roots etc, plus its light so no damage to lawns when you drive across them . my mate paid £6500 for it 4 years ago and its paid for itself he said. worth a thougt mate

£14,000 new i was told by a mate who is saving a bit to get one. but they might have some deals going now ::)

We would like to get one too Marky, great little things and when you consider what you can do with them, not dear. I would say kubota, make sure you get a low houred one and check pins etc. Make sure you look for a serial number too, as you say very nickable.

I have looked into this in the past Marky. I looked at a kubota and a daewoo with the intetion of having them on trailers for hire. Still a big market for hiring these smaller diggers as mike said ideal for gardens JCB even do one that will fit through a standard door frame  ;). I know several companies locally have been stung with buying new larger machines as they were on permanent hire with scottish hydro and with the credit crunch realised it was cheaper to buy a digger and hire driver rather than hire one.

go for jcb i got 1 great machine 8027 zero tail swing biggest you can tow behind jeep plenty of power for the size of it and with zero tail swing you dint have to look behind you all the time only down side is when your loading dumper full bucket makes it a bit rockie

Go with a 1.5tonner mate, just the right size for every thing handy... Tacahusi are the market leaders in minis, have been for years, all the hire center minis over here are Tacis, must be good , another one to look at is Hyundi, they have some pretty good smooth easy to use machines and they come pretty well speced also, over here you can buy a 1.5 or a 1.8 on a tandom axle trailer and 3 or 4 buckets... dirt cheap, the big hyundis have the market lead in in nz currently...

marky be careful when choosing a weight. dad and i was up at the euro auction in omagh a few weeks back (a big auction with every type of machine possible!).  most of the bigger diggers, eg. 13t 16t, brand new, were selling for about 10grand less than what you would buy from the dealer. the smallest diggers (up to 2.5/3t) were making the same as what you would buy new. this is because they are so handy and are not too big to tow behind a van/jeep ;) so i would say go for 2.5t, plenty of power but not too big ;) ;) ;)

Finally a topic i can talk about, 2.5 tonne would be the best option to go for i reckon as i feel that they will have more power than the 1.5 tonne and they will do more so they will. At work we have two 2.5 tonners a Haniz and a Kubota firstly the Haniz are not a bad digger but they would not be the best available, the one i drive has 4400 hours on it and it is rough enough but problem it has is that very shakey and it has an awful does of the nodding donkey when you lift a good bucket full.

The Kubota is a far better digger but i have only had a few opportunity's to drive it it is a very smooth digger and there is plenty of power for what they are supposed to do, i think that the Kubota's are one of the best available on the market and they hold their money very well, if you look the truck and plant trader you will find that Neusons are very easily picked up for the right money. Hope that helps a bit ;)

another thought is , a 1.5 ton digger is great and very useful but it ain't going where a smaller one will go. i would say it will be mostly weekend / evening work where you would get the most work. like a mate wants a patio base dug he knows you have a tiny digger that will go threw the back gate and he chucks you £40 for an hours work. plus the 1.5 t diggers are every where.

Still great information coming in... many thanks lads...

I guess the key thing here is he choice of machine... if I do buy one my choice of machine will be limited by my small budget - do I get a 'tired' 2.5t .. a middle of the road 1.5t or a new/nearly new micro digger...

I do like Nathans thinking above this post... plus newer kit shouldn't be so problematic I guess  :-\

dont buy something with high hours or years. pins will be worn out leaving the digger very shakey. also the slew ring would be badly worn which can lead to a lot of hassle.

it may not be suitable but buy new, you will have a digger you trust and a good guareentee, if anything goes wrong you are covered.

maybe an ex demonstrator wouldnt be a bad buy?

If you could pick up one form a landscape gardener it would be good as they are not a digger that will be worked very hard.

Lord Ferguson we bought our 5.5. tonne digger off a hire company and it had 1500 odd hours on it, if the oil and filters are changed regularly you should be fine, i would try and look in the private advertisements if you are serious about getting one.

another thought is , a 1.5 ton digger is great and very useful but it ain't going where a smaller one will go. i would say it will be mostly weekend / evening work where you would get the most work. like a mate wants a patio base dug he knows you have a tiny digger that will go threw the back gate and he chucks you £40 for an hours work. plus the 1.5 t diggers are every where.

just what i was thinking when i read the first post, get the JCB with retractable tracks ;)....

what ever make you decide, the width restriction is a part i guess as well, some are so narrow you can get the through a house door if needed, but a garden gate is your most common obstacle i guess???