help, dull paint finish

toyboy

Question

have just painted a marshall model with cherry red paint on a grey primer, it looks okay when wet but once it has dried it goes all dull can anyone tell me what is happening, have given it a couple of coats but the same thing happens all the time. could the temp of the paint and model be making a difference :-\, any ideas or solutions give me a shout, ps, it has also happened with green and black paint aswell. its halford paint i'm using and normally its ok  :(

19 answers to this question

Where are you painting as cold/dampness in the air will cause paint to do what you are describing?

painting out in the garage, but have painted stuff out there before when i reckon it has been colder and that stuff has been ok, if this is the problem and i keep the model and paint warmer will it still paint okay on top of the dull paint gav?

I would imagine thats what the problem is, i either paint outside on a hot sunny day or in a shed with a heater on if its cold/damp. Just give them another coat and keep them in a warm environment to dry and they should be fine

Heat is the key as others have suggested!

a well known conversionest over here in NI uses a paraffin blast heater to warm the spray room up before he paints.

never seen a dull finish on any of his stuff.

I'm 99% sure what you report is MOISTURE in the air... you can have a cold day with little humidity too... I've had this conersation with Brian Norman before - he only sprays on warm, DRY summer days.

Heating the air should take out a lot of the humidity - if you don't keep opening an closing the doors I guess  :-\ - I find that an electric heating element (red hot wire type jobbie) makes the air very dry - you could try that  :-\

i've only had this prob once with halfords paint, i thought it was the tin of paint so i got rid of it  :D :D

I spray all year round in my workshop and some times it can be COLD in there but i never heated paint  :-\ :-\

i've only had this prob once with halfords paint, i thought it was the tin of paint so i got rid of it  :D :D

I spray all year round in my workshop and some times it can be COLD in there but i never heated paint  :-\ :-\

really helps mate, makes it a lot finer spary so a better finish, even helps my nemesis in yellow paint that i can normally never get right,

i have the heater on in the shed for an hr before i paint, also heat the tin in hot water first,not kettle hot, it tends to blow the tin ,but a bucket of hot water from the tap, and leave them floating in it for about 20 mins,

Like you Sean I heat the shed for an hour or so before I start painting ;) I have NEVER heated paint though :'( I just leave the tins near the heater and I have never had a problem :) :) :)

usually warm up  paint & model if possible & tend to do my painting on drier days ..

Re the use of paraffin & bottled gas heaters   ,   burning a gallon of paraffin creates a gallon of water , bottled gas is similar  so can create condensation . :o;)

is that a good thing then?

ive suffered this aswell put it down to primer and paint not reacting well when together as i mostly use in a warm area have heated paint tins before to help but anything with silicone or oil based sprays tend to hang around for a while and wreck paint jobs big style wd40 force powerspay chain lube etc also had this occuring when sanding down and using old coat as base for top coat

seem to have got this sorted, warm model, warm paint and a warm enviroment for spraying in seems to have worked, thanks for all the advice lads, the warm paint i think really seems to be the important bit, maybe just my imagination but i could swear it flowed better from the tin once the tin had been placed in warm water, all i got to do now is set up a dedicated spray booth thats warm ;).

it deff flows better out of the can when warm ,especially ofter a good 2 mins shake to once hot, just dont use boiling water thats all, i can tell you now,when the bottom of the tin blows insdie out it scares the do do's out of you sat beside it ;):D :D :D :D :D :D dam hot to try and pic up to,was only in it 2 mins tops when it blew