The Adventures of Marky and HATTIE the MF5480 - born 18th July 2009

another random one or two...

DSCN0673.jpg

trailer 1... I was trailer 2 on this day... trailer one has a hitch and tows trailer two to the next field when moving about for any distance to save coming back for the header trolley/dropped trailer...

DSCN0676.jpg

this field was next to Cambridge Universities space exploration disc thingy... perched on the Greenwich Meridian line...

DSCN0678.jpg

Looks like a small thing until it's in the field next to you... when you get up close it is simply huge... those are trees on the margins not bushes  :of :of

DSCN0679.jpg

Talking of huge.. take a look at one of the grain stores we were tipping at...

DSCN0682.jpg

Just to get an idea of size... zoomed in on the door in the centre of the picture..

DSCN0685.jpg

each chamber holds 1600t .. not sure how many chambers.. but quite a few...

The tipping procedure is SUPER slick... pull on to the weighbridge... thumbs up from the weighbridge man within seconds..

DSCN0686.jpg

weight appears on the screen on the office...

for some reason the camera can't take a picture of this screen as it seems to scroll through the camera...  :-\

DSCN0660.jpg

then it's off to tip... nice flat yard so tipping commences before you've even left the plate.. back in... tip up... back on to the weighbridge to get the tare weight... usually before the trailer body has fully dropped  :of .. thumbs up from weighbridge man and back to the field poste haste  :) ...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marston trailer Colm... bespoke built I believe mate...

So.... the last day of this year the boss says he's got two combines in one field... and three of us serving them both with trailers... TWO 580TT's in one field.. both pushing hard.. conditions are spot on.. happy days...

I look over my shoulder at lunchtime to find the cultivation man is right up behind us... starting in the same field as we've just combined it... SLICK operation or what  :of :of

DSCN0688.jpg

DSCN0689.jpg

Having to serve two combines and tipping up a busy high street was not condusive to picture taking as you can imagine (a new meaning to the word busy really)... so all I got was the last load of my harvest and the Lexions packing up  :'(

I'm glad I shot this short footage so at least you can believe me  :-[:D :D

th_DSCN0690.jpg

finally... Hattie in the shed for her overnight stay with a few Green tractors  :of  ... don't worry she'll get a good wash tomorrow  ;D:P  .. any questions fire away...

DSCN0693.jpg

DSCN0697.jpg

Roll on 2011  :P

great pics, videos and explanations Marky!, well worth staying up for!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

that shed must be at least 20mtrs tall at peak then?

That pic with the quadtrac, was that along side the M11?, saw it there the other day going to Sawston.....prob saw you out there as well on the way home as a fair few lights on in fields!!!!

often see those dishes, near Orwell, like you say they are bigger when you get up close! :of :of :of :of

Glad you like them mate... you'll have to come and have a ride next time... provided they have me back again that is  :-[  :D

We wee in the field of Shelford last night mate... right by the main line to London mate... the Quadtrac has been about for a few days around there mate I think

Finally... Hattie is now on 918 hours too  :of :of  .. and the Nokian tyres I ordered are now here and SHOULD be fitted in the morning  :)

LOVERLEEEEEEEEEEEEE UPDATE!!!

Thanks for that mate, pleasure to see you enjoying yourself.... So how long till you buy yourself a combine? I could do you a nice deal ;)

So I guess you are off back their soon with a ploughing contract?

Great pics and always nice to read what you are up to :)

8)

Holly mother of... that tractor does not have its loader on.... i thourght it was welded and chained on and would never come off...

looks like you had alot of fun old chap, so back to the real world now then ??

:D :D  .. I nearly called you to ask how to do it Nick.... I can't be doing with reading the book  :-[  ... like anything.. easy when you know how I guess  :-\  .. real world... yes sadly  :-[  .. although I won't miss the hours  :of

LOVERLEEEEEEEEEEEEE UPDATE!!!

Thanks for that mate, pleasure to see you enjoying yourself.... So how long till you buy yourself a combine? I could do you a nice deal ;)

So I guess you are off back their soon with a ploughing contract?

Great pictures and always nice to read what you are up to :)

8)

Thanks Jez... Things are working out well with the tractor, I must say I'm glad I took the gamble really - it's nice to enjoy your work and get paid well for doing it  :) .  As for buying a combine.. I only wish I had the money.. or bottle to take on the finance.. I did see a new JD combine in a field close to us as work and it was whooping along nicely I must say.. much as it pains me to admit it... better than the new MF is getting on so I hear  :-[

Very nice Marky, Tidy pictures  ;) 

With all the variety of work your doing now how do find the transmission, Dyna4? Is it always up to the job?, Was it the right choice? If you don't mind me asking..

thanks Blake.. In all honesty mate.... dyna 4 is superb... BUT... when the oil is hot it can be a little slow on the main range change.. it could also do with a gear between 2D and 3A to avoid changes up or down when the combine slows up.. I think I am slowly selling myself the benefits of dyna6... or better still CVT  :of:-*  ... mind you... one of the Deeres was a CVT of similar HP to Hattie and it did struggle on the hills through lack of power... although in fairness I think she's covered a good 8,000 hours.  That said... I still think Dyna 4 is superb

Thanks Bill... midnight oil doesn't suit me really either  :-[ :'( .. I am 'cream crackered' now I must say... darn good fun though.

With our land so blooming flat and boooooring... we have some fair sized fields which are well suited to these large machines I guess  :-\ .. two in one field is a rare sight around here mind you.. I was so chuffed to be part of the harvesting gang on that day I can tell you  :of

As for the tracks.. they still left a fair old imprint on the ground but it was soft under foot in the extreme for the first couple of days  :of .. I reckon wheels would have resulted in a few sticky moments... or even possibly prohibited the harvest until conditions improved.

The problem with min-til is the low depth of penetration.. compaction can be a real problem (so I was told... I am NO EXPERT... and still very much a keen apprentice when it comes to all these new experiences)

Incidentally... I will add that carting is by no means as easy as it looks as well.. there is little margin for error and a steep learning curve too  :-[:of

Mark regarding learning " they say you learn something new every day" and in some ways I think that may be correct although today personally I cannot think what it was for me :-\ :-\

Up in our next of the woods there are few few large flat parks as we call them ( fields to the rest of the nation) and most are uneven and with slopes or hills of "sidelings"

Anyway on the softness of the ground I was surprised how damp the field was where the Marshall Farm's workers were combining  yesterday when  I walked into the field but I looked on the good side at least I was able to brush some topsoil from the tread on my shoes on to a flower bed I need to build up and reseed  over the weekend ;D ;D ... another true saying "There is always good comes from bad"

I really could do with some of those character's from the film "The Great Escape" coming and visiting me ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mark regarding learning " they say you learn something new every day" and in some ways I think that may be correct although today personally I cannot think what it was for me :-\ :-\

Up in our next of the woods there are few few large flat parks as we call them ( fields to the rest of the nation) and most are uneven and with slopes or hills of "sidelings"

Anyway on the softness of the ground I was surprised how damp the field was where the Marshall Farm's workers were combining  yesterday when  I walked into the field but I looked on the good side at least I was able to brush some topsoil from the tread on my shoes on to a flower bed I need to build up and reseed  over the weekend ;D ;D ... another true saying "There is always good comes from bad"

I really could do with some of those character's from the film "The Great Escape" coming and visiting me ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'll send you some of my 'sooty black' soil in the post Bill.. some people say 'once you've had black you never look back' .. we can add that to Tims list of sayings as well  :-[:D :D :D

As for compaction... it's surprising how wet the ground still is down here... mind you... with all the wind and sun it's pretty much dry now I think

Like the updates, Mark. A lot of enjoyment I can see in the way your are updating, photographing and videoing what is going on. The trailer has a distinct Bunning look to it and does not resemble any other MAS I can remember seeing. Bespoke indeed, it doe look like a proper haulage trailer (as far as ag goes anyway!) and not just your regular farm trailer. Do they not take samples of each load at the weighbridge then? An operation like this I would almost certainly expect them too  ???

I know what you mean about the header trolley as well, the one which came up with the 480 we have had on hire was an awful thing, single beam axle with swinging stubs, two either side. A drawbar suited for towing with the combine made the thing a sod to get about with and the tyre/wheel combination was just silly, it cut into the ground with the header on really badly. Also as you found, the tail swing on a 30ft header is about 10ft!! Was there a CAT 1 toplink for your trailer which coupled the header to the drawbar to stop whip? The one we had did have this and I thought it was quite a good idea, it saved the header from bouncing on the front end and snapping the drawbar!!

What I found from unloading was that the grain is sort of thrown off the auger, it doesn't drop. So it's quite messy when starting and finishing unloading, once the grain is at full discharge rate it does drop a little better. Oh and nice to see a tracked combine chopping the straw as they screw the headland swaths something rotten when they turn on them. Add a few typical English summer showers and it does make it hard work for the baler man. Do they value the straw incorporation more than it's monetary worth?

thanks Tris...

The trailer is very much a Marston under the 'extras' .. the cover is on the wrong side for the combine driver as you can see which is a bit of a blooper really.  Having sprung axles is a real gain as well.. I think I said earlier back, it makes it a dream to tow... in every situation,, it even seems to turn better on the yard which is strange.  The tyres do build up some heat as the day rolls on though I did notice... although in fairness we were on the go at high speed constantly for up to 12 hours at a time when the fields are big enough and the conditions were right.

Each load is sampled for bushel weight and moisture content... each load is then relayed to the combine via the private two-way they operate.  It's sampled from the pile to save climbing up the trailer as it's only for their own good.  I did see regular samples on a shelf as well... I assume they retain a sample from each field.  When we'd filled this store we went on to two other farms where the weights are still recorded via a hydraulic system they have that plugs in to the trailer ram circuit. The boss man here runs a very tight ship... I do admire his management style as he only has to ask once and it's done - I wish I had his 'presence'  :-\

The header trailer was an unruly beast when a gateway turn was needed I must say... the small toplink is also on this model although we only used it when travelling along the road.

The 05 plate Lexion has a funny end on the spout which sticks out at 45 degrees.. it kind of 'pukes' out of the end and can be a little messy... the main machine is an 07 plate and has a better, more sensible outlet on the end which tends to direct the discharging grain into the trailer.

I'm not sure on the straw chopping mate in all honesty... so I won't guess.. we did leave some for the baler last year but this year we chopped the lot

Nice update Mark...you have been burning the mid night oil of late. I have never seen a tracked combine up here yet but I have heard there is one down in pistol petes "holiday" neck of the woods

two of my mate have them bill one a lexion 600 and the other on a newholland