The Adventures of Marky and HATTIE the MF5480 - born 18th July 2009

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I thought I'd do a small update...

First of all I bought this new frame the other day... it basically mounts onto the rear three-point linkage and converts it to a Euro VIII loader attachment frame... this effectively means I can mount my forklift tines on the rear of the tractor to move pallets about my yard.. I've also got a 3t concrete block that I use to block off a gateway as well... which the loader end won't lift.

DSCN0814.jpg

It's plastic baling season now as well so I've been baling baling baling recently.. and selling the material as well which is always nice.

It's a pain that I've had to move my bales to another yard now.. but it does allow me the opportunity to store more product in the event of a price crash.  I'm using my new low-loader to move material from my yard to my new yard.. 16 bales at a time.

DSCN0819.jpg

Having just sold another load of plastic and a load of cardboard I am pretty low on material stock too... which is a shame as the prices are at an (almost) all-time high at the moment.  I was going to put my baling prices up this year.. but the increasing waste values have meant I don't have to.

HDPE/LDPE cans...

DSCN0830.jpg

Fertiliser Sacks/Seed bags (Woven sacks basicaly)

DSCN0829.jpg

And finally... cardboard..

DSCN0828.jpg

I've got the hang of it mate I guess... but it's a lot different to a grain trailer... with the wheels right at the back it needs a lot more road.  Where I am use to 'popping' down some minor roads with my dumper... this one needs a bit more thought that's all.

I went to deliver my little digger last week and couldn't get down a road in the village as there were two cars awkwadly parked  ::)

never looked at it that way i must confess, i guess dragging the dump trailers thatare relativley short, it does make a difference, if you were dragging the grain ones all the time, then the extra lenght as such would not be a issue as you would be used to it, all be it higher and wider trailers, the turn point would be similar to the low laoder, think that makes sence

Its the location of the wheels thats the problem Sean, grain trailers have theirs nearer the middle so you can easily turn them in tighter spaces whereas with the low loader having them at the back it cuts corners more and will always need more space. With it being lower the tractor will also foul the trailer if you try and turn too tight with it. Our low loader is the same length as our 14t trailers but always requires more turning space to get it round or through anywhere

I've got the hang of it mate I guess... but it's a lot different to a grain trailer... with the wheels right at the back it needs a lot more road.  Where I am use to 'popping' down some minor roads with my dumper... this one needs a bit more thought that's all.

I went to deliver my little digger last week and couldn't get down a road in the village as there were two cars awkwadly parked  ::)

don't you just hate those awkwadly parked cars  ;D

oi lard fergo , stop moaning & get on with it , after all its just a longer wheel base thats more than you're used to , did you have trouble going from driving a landrover 90 to a 110 ? no didn't think so , you upwardly mobile types are never happy  ::)  ;D  ;D

fair play with the worload mark , looks like the plastic fantastic idea is starting paying off for you , nive rearend attatchment as well that will make life a whole lot easier , will you have a hydraulic top link for that as well ?

so who buys the bales & where does it go when it leaves the yard is is abroad or recycled here?

don't you just hate those awkwadly parked cars  ;D

oi lard fergo , stop moaning & get on with it , after all its just a longer wheel base thats more than you're used to , did you have trouble going from driving a landrover 90 to a 110 ? no didn't think so , you upwardly mobile types are never happy  ::)  ;D  ;D

fair play with the worload mark , looks like the plastic fantastic idea is starting paying off for you , nive rearend attatchment as well that will make life a whole lot easier , will you have a hydraulic top link for that as well ?

so who buys the bales & where does it go when it leaves the yard is is abroad or recycled here?

My worload can get a little awkwad at times I must say  ;D:P

Seriously... having not been a rufty tufty trucker before.. I'm not finding the driving difficult... just the way people park frustrating.. I guess I am now seeing both sides of the fence - I've gone from Joe Public to the Yorkie Bar Kid in one swoop  :)

I sell my plastics to a larger recycling outfit in Yorkshire.. some goes straight into a container and is onward bound to China... some goes to Lithuania for further sorting... some to Malaisa.. and a VERY small portion ends up in the UK to be made into black bin bags (we don't appear to have much of a plastic blowing industry here now in the UK)

Cardboard always ends up in Germany... eventually

Hydraulic toplink is not a bad idea mate really... will look into it I think .. and what's a nive rearend attatchment anyway  :of:P:-*:D :D

handy  wee bit of kit that, especially for the gate block ..if thats not a lot of material sitting about you, Id hate to see how much you had when you had a lot ! :of

this all sounds like a very worthwhile diversification ,right place at the right time, doing the right job

thanks John.... yes I think the frame will work out to be a hand piece of kit... once the new carriage arrives that is.

I like to have a good load or two about me usually (66 bales of each minimum).. but when the price is this high I just want to wave it goodbye as often as I can  :-[:D :D

My worload can get a little awkwad at times I must say  ;D:P 

Hydraulic toplink is not a bad idea mate really... will look into it I think .. and what's a nive rearend attatchment anyway  :of:P:-*:D :D

touch'e  ;D

considering the uk has gone recycling mad , its a wonder we as a country, with so much economic doom & gloom in our industries, we dont actualy have a large recyling industry to recycle the stuff ourselves , if that makes sense .

radio 4 had a programme a while back about steel manufacture in theuk , & basicly it was all going full circle in the wrong direction

eg;

farmer wants a building

uk steel fabricator supply the steel framework

a scrapyard sells 97% of it's steel abroad to india where it's sorted & recycled & sold back to the uk

back in the uk  Farmer Steel Frame Shed Shop buys it to make steel fabricated buildings out of it

why did it have to go to india anyway  & i bet the ark royal will be sent there to be broken back down  but why cant we do it here & create jobs

why does the cardboard always seem to go back to germany mate ?

as for that text you sent

n  B

g        a  ???

i think it looks bang out of order to me  >:(

;D ;D ;D

:D :D :D ..

It's a crying shame Marcus... but we could debate this point for hours I am sure.. I've always blamed our own (collective) greed for the sad demise of our industrial infrastructure... and of course the bloody greedy and corrupt government(s) over the years  >:(

Anyhow... The cardboard ends up in Germany as there is only one Hoooooge recycler of cardboard in Europe... and the Germans have it... they are 20 years ahead of us in terms of recycling.. always have been... perhaps in 20 years time we'll have something comparable.

There is a relatively new paper mill in Kings Lynn... but that's just for newprint quality paper I believe  :(

:D :D :D ..

It's a crying shame Marcus... but we could debate this point for hours I am sure.. I've always blamed our own (collective) greed for the sad demise of our industrial infrastructure... and of course the bloody greedy and corrupt government(s) over the years  >:(

Anyhow... The cardboard ends up in Germany as there is only one Hoooooge recycler of cardboard in Europe... and the Germans have it... they are 20 years ahead of us in terms of recycling.. always have been... perhaps in 20 years time we'll have something comparable.

There is a relatively new paper mill in Kings Lynn... but that's just for newprint quality paper I believe  :(

sadly it's not just government that bought british industry to its knees , it also the shortsighted complacency of the old school industry cheifs . the addage of it was good enough when  my grandfather did it so it's good enough now  just wasn't.

britain is always years behind anyone else yet half the worlds greatest engineering feats are designed by brits

i remember an old chap telling me he couldn't get over the fact america & germany etc had in house flushing toilets well before the second world war where as us chaps were still having a relaxing smoke in nice wooly tank tops having a puff on a pipe  while sitting at the bottom of the garden in a brick hut crapping into a bucket , we had to wait till the 50's for houses to be built with that !

a recycling plant simmilar to what the germans have now in 20 years time ? , that means we'll be building something new that s already 20 years out of date , & that pretty well sums this country up  ::) 

• 2 weeks later...

Well the faceplate for my tines arrived yesterday.. so it was time to hook up the new 3 point rear 'Euro 8' fitting frame... effectively making the back of my tractor the front  :P:D :D  ... well... cop a look at the pictures... they explain it all really...

8e1ca4a7.jpg

e65aff0b.jpg

Dangerous Dave inthe background here... I have to get the OK from Dave before we commission any new equipment  :):D ... that and I wanted my second roll of the day  :-[

ca259e8c.jpg

So... as you can see.... it will take any loader ready implement... such as my bucket, grab bucket, bale clamp, tines.. or anything else you care to mention really  :-\

First thought I had when i seen that is.........

You could use it to lift cars and move them!!! Like lift a parked one and move it to the other end of the car park and then watch people coming out wondering where the car is and then think there going mad when they find it!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 

Think of the fun in the local Supermarket  ;D ;D ;D  ::)