Anyone collect whisky or do you just drink them?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Famous Grouse or Jameson's for me bells is just for drunks  ;) ;)

And as for jack Daniels well that's only American coke  ::) ::):D :D

Grouse better known up hereas a "Low Flyer" Simon ;) ;)

I remember a country loon who went on holiday to Spain and  asked the Spanish barman for

A low flyer we a splash o Wullie Hay's ale and twa bales o frost

Well the barman had not a clue.

What he was asking for was

A Grouse whisky

With lemonade  William Hay Being an Aberdeen lemonade make )

And two piece of ice

Last night I dug a couple of bottles out of the back of the cabinet.

Strathmore Vintage Vehicle Club Limited

Nothing special but the club used to give first prize winners a bottle along with cup or shield but that ha s now stopped. have had a few ofver the years and probably have empty bottles in the loft. kept one unopened though.

28102009001.jpg

Another one not a malt but SandyMacNab's from the Lochside Distillery at Montrose which is now closed

28102009002.jpg

My favorites are Highland Park 12 y, Macallan 18 y and Balvenie 15 y  :) :)

And for desert a Bowmore enigma 12 y  :D :D

Great taste Pete...Like all 3 of those... yum yum bit early for that although it would liven up this office  ;)

Interesting Bill ...Rob Roy ehh not come across that one before Mmmm Any good  ???

Have a rare collection here as well bill nothing rare just my favorites. Macallan any age, Glenmorangie, old pultney, highland park oh how the list could go on. Last year myself and another colleague looked into bying a cask of whisky  to have laid down for 18 years.

Have been around quite a few distilleries also the local cooperage where they make/ repair the barrels. Have also fished on the Macallan beat on the Spey you get a free bottle of whisky in the fishing bothy in the morning and the ghillie can get more during the day if required ::)

• 2 months later...

I had missed this thread first time around.  Certainly a variety of tastes among forum members.

For anyone who enjoys sampling a variety of whiskies, and is either in or visiting the Lincolnshire area, the George Hotel at Leadenham is well worth a visit (it is on the A607 between Lincoln and Grantham).  They have a collection of approaching 700 different malts, some of which are very rare.  The rarest and most expensive is a 1937 Pride of Strathspey which is believed to be one of only two bottles left in existence (assuming it hasn't all been drunk now! - probably not as a tot will set you back well into £three figures).

Only just saw this now. My dad worked for over 30 years for Irish Distillers now part of the pernot ricard group and makers of Jameson,Paddy,Middelton,Powers whiskeys(and for a while Bushmills) among others such as Huzzar vodka and Cork Dry Gin

He got (and still gets )a bottle every 2 weeks and doesn't drink

You can guess what friends and family get as christmas presents

F

I seem to recall in the past before drink driving laws etc distillery workers in Scotland used to get drams at their work.

Yes they did bill it was tradition in the stills and the bottling plants. You used to get a cup full every day.

Mate used to do refits in stills and whilst in there saved up the flask cups of whisky in a thermos and take it home to his dad at the end of the week.

Most now get a bottle once a month, dad knows several still workers so gets a steady supply

• 4 months later...

And over the past couple of weeks my boss brought in two wooden boxes of whisky liqueurs. They were from the Rothes distillery where his father in law works. I noted they were passed sell by date but we still managed to eat them. They were lovely and well I wanted the lovely boxes.

07062010003.jpg

07062010004.jpg

07062010005.jpg

07062010006.jpg

07062010007.jpg

...but what is it with the German address at the bottom of the ingredients??

Worse than them sourcing the chocolates from Germany - since 2006 Glen Grant has been owned by the Italian 'Gruppo Campari SpA'  :-\

Thankfully, MacAllan are still Scottish owned  :D

That Macallan is one of my faves Bill  ;)

Bought a bottle of Sheep Dip & Pig nose last week yet to open them yet  ;)

Never tried the two latter ones the names put me off Barry :-\ :-\