favourite tractor of the 90's....

neilw

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alot of people complained about the mid mounted cab pillar on the SG2 cabs, but remarkably they had never driven one? ???

I have to admit I did sometimes drive an SG2 cabbed 2640 in the eighties, and later a 4650 on a couple of occasions.  I found that ****** pillar nearly drove me insane. Combined with the awkward angle of access to the cab and the narrow gap between the dash and fender (even for someone fairly slim!),  I came to dislike JD very deeply indeed. 

There is no doubt that cab limited John Deeres sales very considerably.  As soon as they started fitting a proper cab when the 6000/7000 series came out, their sales took off.

I have to admit I did sometimes drive an SG2 cabbed 2640 in the eighties, and later a 4650 on a couple of occasions.  I found that ****** pillar nearly drove me insane. Combined with the awkward angle of access to the cab and the narrow gap between the dash and fender (even for someone fairly slim!),  I came to dislike JD very deeply indeed. 

There is no doubt that cab limited John Deeres sales very considerably.  As soon as they started fitting a proper cab when the 6000/7000 series came out, their sales took off.

I  used to drive a 2950 over here in Canada it was  a good tractor I was in the that pillar is dumb club but soon got used to it. The long cold winter hours finally got it at 10.000 hrs :( and my boss traded it on a 6410. in my opinion having to tilt the steering every time you leave or enter the cab is far more of a pain in the butt on the 6410 than that pillar ever was on the old girl and it is our loader tractor so we could be in and out 20 times an hour some days .in some ways the new cab is better like having 2 doors :)  but i think this tractor will be done by 8000 hrs as the issues are starting to show on it now ;)

don't be sorry.. you've probably picked the best and worst tractor MF have ever made.. spot on  ;):D :D :D

Could not agree more the worst 175 come to think of it any tractor made before 1976 thank god for the Q cab does not matter how bad 595 engine was i rather have it than the 175.

got to agree with the SG2, a nice cab to spend the day in although after a while you adopt a lean to the right driving position  ;D  when it a good one it's a good cab to work in although in the winter it's a pain when one of the widscreen wipers stops working  :-\  also used to drive me nuts as due to the size front screens the wipers dont work in sync great hedge trimming tractors

got to agree with the SG2, a nice cab to spend the day in although after a while you adopt a lean to the right driving position  ;D  when it a good one it's a good cab to work in although in the winter it's a pain when one of the widscreen wipers stops working  :-\ [glow=red,2,300] also used to drive me nuts as due to the size front screens the wipers dont work in sync great hedge trimming tractors[/glow]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D    its only funny cos thats so true marcus  ;)

• 2 weeks later...