Animal transporter 9580

jaywilli7610

On the back of a recent post and upon looking through my collection, I was wondering exactly how many version of this model were produced?

I currently have 5 different versions in 3 different boxes.  These include one with a blue base (is this standard?) and one with ford decals (fairly common) which is lefty hand drive.  If anybody could provide any info on this subject I would greatly appreciate it. 

I've seen a few with the blue base, not sure how rare/common they are, also was there a green version?

I got one of these for Christmas 1990 or 91 but it naturally suffered from wear and tear, only got around to replacing it this year!

I think you're right about the green one being in a set with accessories

Edit: Just had a look at Peter Baron's book and this is what it says for 9580: Blue cab/blue flatbed/white body, also reported in blue/red/white and green/green/white

They are all left hand drive. First released in 1981, with the green/green version being released in 1986 in a set(9631) with cattle, sheep, feed manger and animal pens. Deleted end of 1989.

The 1981 catalogue shows a mock up, I believe, with a red chassis, blue cab and flatbed.

The latter released Tarmac trucks were right hand drive, but still with an open left side window  ::)  I think!

The early version of 9580 had the blue cab and flatbed, and usually had red wheels, although a small number of very early ones had white wheels.  The doors carried a yellow paper decal with a white cow on it, and the grille badge was Magirus-Deutz-Iveco.  The early ones are usually in a box which carries pictures of the prototype/mock-up (as shown in the 1981 catalogue).  By the time the colour of the flatbed changed to red (before the end of 1981), the box illustrations had been changed to show the production version, and the wheels were red.  As with the tractors, there was a panel on the rear of the box which described the real vehicle (Magirus-Deutz-Iveco 168m-16FL). 

For 3 years from 1986 to 1988, the Iveco Animal Transporter was available with a green cab and flatbed in set 9631 with the animal pens, hay rack and a selection of animals.  The grille decal on this carried the Iveco-Fiat name. 

From around 1986/87, 9580 was fitted with a grille decal carrying the Ford badge (it was first listed as a Ford in the 1987 catalogue) and which also had an extra pair of headlights printed on it.  The blue oval Ford badge was dropped from the grille in the mid nineties (probably at the same time it was dropped from the 2120, 5610 and 8730 tractors in 1995).  The last of the badgeless Animal Transporters had a change of colour of the cattle box from pale grey to white before production was moved to the Far East in 1997/98. It was deleted at the end of 2001.

There is also one further colour variation of the cab in the 9580 box.  At some point a short run were produced with a lighter blue cab (the same or similar colour to the Salop Low Loader Trailer). 

The lorry without the cattle box was also issued as a flatbed in 1981 (cat 9582), with a white cab and silver-grey flatbed. As with 9580, this also had a box illustrated with pictures of the prototype/mock-up for the earliest issued models, but again it was updated by the end of 1981.  It had the same Magirus-Deutz-Iveco grille decalas the Cattle Lorry, but had a cab door decal of a double arrow in yellow on a red background (which has also been found on a few of the early cattle trucks).  The only variation is a version with a yellow cab and yellow wheels with the single arrow door decal used on the green tipper version.  This was probably produced at the end of its run in 1984 when the Autoway series used a yellow cab.

(NOTE: any white cabbed Cattle Lorry you may come across has most probably had the Cattle Box swapped onto it rather than coming out of the factory in that configuration)

The Iveco lorry is quite a collection on its own - with all the different bodies (Flatbed, Cattle Lorry, Tanker, Cement Mixer, Tipper and Skip Lorry) and colour schemes across the Farm, Autoway and Road Series, together with UK and Far East versions of those that remained in the catalogue after 1997, there are over 30 variations.

Grille Decal varieties were Magirus-Deutz-Iveco, Iveco-Fiat, Ford, Leyland, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo, although not all were used on more than one version of the lorry (neither did any version exist with all the grille names).

Can all that be found in the Britains' books by various authors?

I think not, but stand to be corrected.

My information taken from trade catalogues, but a small dating error crept in  ::)  should read "deleted end of 1988"

Some interesting comments/information there ploughmaster, I did not know of the wheel colour variations or the pale blue version. More to seek out  :)

Didn't the early versions of the flat bed have a plain white cab?

Some interesting comments/information there ploughmaster, I did not know of the wheel colour variations or the pale blue version. More to seek out  :)

The pale blue cab is one I'm still looking for too :( , which is why I haven't put much about it in the previous post - I am not sure whether the flatbed was the same colour as the cab or whether it was red.

Didn't the early versions of the flat bed have a plain white cab?

I don't know to be honest. I have only seen ones with the double arrow decal on, but it is possible that some 'got out' without it, but I haven't seen one.

As to the source of the information, most has come from personal experience, word of mouth and variations in my and others collections.  Very little has been put into print on the subject of the Britains Iveco, but there was an informative magazine article devoted to them written by Phil Newman and published in the September 1995 issue of 'Model Collector'.

It is for posts like that one that I regard ploughmaster as one of the best contributors on here  ;D

Absolutly brilliant ploughmaster!!

Thanks very much for that, its all the info I needed in one post. Brilliant!!

Thank you both for that.  I do my best to help  :)