Best late 80s/early 90s mower?

FNHIR

Question

16 answers to this question

My Vicon is painted in Claas colours but apparently the Claases weren't great, any othe suggestions (not JD)?

When was the kuhn FC302 trailed mower introduced?

This was one of the best mower conditioners ever built in my opinion.

post-705-13263923447_thumb.jpg

When the disc mowers started to appear on farms around the mid 1960's it was a revalutionary machine as it reduced the time in cutting the grass crop and could handle a heavier crop with a lot better and closer finish and also handled a laid crop of grass. The first type I remember was the New Holland 'Wizzler' with the multiple 'saucers' that a relatively low hp tractor like an MF35 could operate with ease in a reasonbly high gear. Taarup made a very similar mower to the New Holland as well. When the twin drum mowers came in later in the 70's and 80's the best type were the Claas WM20 and WM22. It seems now that the modern mowers have gone back to the multiple saucer type but with a wider, or should that be longer cutting width taking up to 8 feet instead of the 5.5 or 6 foot cut of their predecessors.

Wizzler was Bamfords name for their mowers in the sixties, they built them under licence from PZ Zweegers from holland, they also imported their own liveried machines into the uk. The Bamford wizzlers were actually drum mowers with both two and four drum versions of wizzlers depending on width of cut. Fahr and PZ were main drum mower importers late 60s early seventies. Indeed  NH and Kuhn  were early importers of disc mowers  often called  flying saucer mowers, some of the better known disc mowers and disc mower conditioners were the hesston PT7D with steel crimping rollers and Vicon OLMPUS mower conditioning rollers very successful widely used bits of kit. Mid eighties/early nineties saw  Kuhn mower conditioners and john deere versions gain popularity and hit Vicon sales hard, being in the machinery trade they were more reliable than the Vicon machines. The other big name were of course TAARUP again very good machines  the auto swather very popular bits of kit, other manufacturers offered groupers for their mower conditioner. The first self propelled mower i recall was built by AGRIMECH a grass drying company who also built their own range of Grasshopper mowers excellent but power hungry mowers. The Agrimech self propelled was called Locust and based on a New Holland self propelled forager which had suffered a major feed housing failure so was converted into a mower.

Taarup 307 with autoswather would be my choice, the first mower to allow you to make 9, 18 or 27 ft swathes and the choice of large farms and contractors. With a Grasshopper you could mow as fast as you could remain in the cab, but they did leave a small stipe between the drums. Go for a classic KM22, that way you can badge it new down the ages from the 1960's to today, but I'd hate to be the poor chap using one in front of a Big X!

Taarup 307 with autoswather would be my choice, the first mower to allow you to make 9, 18 or 27 ft swathes and the choice of large farms and contractors. With a Grasshopper you could mow as fast as you could remain in the cab, but they did leave a small stipe between the drums. Go for a classic KM22, that way you can badge it new down the ages from the 1960's to today, but I'd hate to be the poor chap using one in front of a Big X!

Ditto.

Or for the smaller farmer.  ... .  Kidd Clipper  8);D

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.outofthehedge.co.uk/bluething2.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.outofthehedge.co.uk/IMPLEMENTS.html&usg=__xAXywW0vN1j-PKVgR8W6oMUGeDs=&h=299&w=564&sz=62&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=Z1VyjZM5lGgTiM:&tbnh=71&tbnw=134&prev=/images%3Fq%3DKidd%2BCLipper%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

some grasshoppers round here, terrible power zappers on the hills, folks really struggled.one guy even put a bloody engine on his so he only had to tow it.

Taarups round here were the main ones with claas a close second or the smaller guys like us , had claas disc mowers,kuhn or bamford as they were disc mowers or Fahr Km22 `s.

there was a kidd clipper at borgue nearby and various odd others.before the bamford disc mower dad bought in 77 he had a kemper drum mower, good clean cutter but something major happened and it was better to replace it, can`t remember what now.

i used to be a tractor driver on a grass drying plant & had various mowers to use the area was an air field , so had big open area's or small fidly patches

at our disposal we had a

Fahr KM22,

Claas WM30

Kuhn FC 250 GT

Tarrup 306

Tarrup 307 / autoswather

the km 22 was a great little mower & the design  runs from the 60's to present day

the claas wm 30 was a 3 drum setup easy to use , but suited to hay rather than silage & the wheels at the back used to disintergrate with heavy use

FC250 , probably one of the best mowers i've used , easy to pull but easy to roll if you try turning too quick or tight

306 nice mower , simple to use

307 /autoswath heavy mower compared to the 306 i thought & if you got it right the auto swather could make short work of the short work if you know what i mean  :-\

another good mower was the kidd clipper , as long as you could keep it going