Tractor/Loader vs Tele-handler

archbarch

Are jcb starts at 4.00 am then finshed at 5.30 pm we use are jcb for everything even on the pit ::)

see we tried our loader on a silage pit but the faces on silage pits are so steep and the wheels are so narrow and with a full load of grass on the graipe its just a disaster  :-\  how does the jcb hold up on the pit?

For buckraking i wouldn't look at anything else but an articulated handler! Deffently not a tractor and loader, No way!

Tractor and loader yes is handy for small farmers who can do most jobs with that one machine, but id far rather a handler but it just doesn't pay for itself in every situation  ;)

I've used both....heaps!

With out going over whats already been said my pick would be...telehandler in the yard tractor/loader out on the farm.

a telehandler would'nt have the weight for working on silage pit I would of thought.

we push grass with the manitou for an inside pit. plus the rival contractor pushes with a tm300 shovel  :-\

Here in Canada I have never see a telehandler on any farm yet. Most people have a 90 to 120 hp tractor/loader combo.

But I have often thought a telehandler would be nice in the yard but so is a bobcat. Obviously a small farm can not have everything. So I will make do with my Valtra 6400 and alo loader.

We could not use a tractor and loader in our sheds anymore, our current 526s is on smaller than standard wheels to allow it to fit under the beams in our cattle buildings. A tractor would certainly be far too tall and not manouverable enough to muck them out. The tele-handler clocks up more hours than any other machine on the farm during the late autumn and winter when the cattle are indoors. Even with a lot of our field work it would be more time consuming with a tractor and loader due to the reach we need with a lot of what we do.

Tractors and loaders definately have their place on a lot of farms but our system just doesn't suit one. I have spent several hours on a MC135 with a Quicke Q75 loader and could do jobs just as quick with it but it was just a tiny bit unstable when loading trailers, its a big loader for that tractor

i don't think there is an argument here , every farm has a reason for 'either or' & sometimes both it's very much a personal preference suited to the jobs it'll need doing

i know a farmer who has nearly 1000 head of beef & has to travel a fair distance to feed & bed upon different sites , a materials handler just hasnt got the speed & pulling power he needs to get from one to another during the day

unlike years ago , the introduction of clutchless shuttles on modern tractors have greatly increased the versatility of even the biggest tractors & most if not all tractors are designed & built to take the stressess of loader work . it does happen , but it's rare to see a snapped tractor due to loader work nowadays

You need to consider hydraulics also.

Think about a telehandler, these are designed for oil work, cooling, pumping, moving (valves etc).

A tractor is designed for heavy draft work and hydraulics second, the oil coolers are much smaller.

Also, the pumps are totally different and do not give the same efficiency.

Lift capacity also, the tractor loader options are not as high.

I used to drive a telehandler for three years, it was manouverable, towed well, great visibility etc etc.

Also the boom is made to be attached to the chasis, he 6820 and loader I also used was not, this put huge strain on the chasis frame of the tractor.

Final point, centre of gravity.....

In my opinion telehandlers all the way!!

Jez

8)

I agree Jez, telehandlers for loader work as thats what the main purpors is.

i'm as good as 40 & i can remember when these handlers were getting popular & nowhere near the size, power & specifcations you younger chaps grow up with now.

The first handler i saw back in 78 /79 was a sambron JS24 2wd single boom, no hitch & 3 attatchments , pallet forks , bucket & dung grab  i thought it was amazing , but the majority was still done by a 2wd DB 995 & loader. 

I recall Townsend farm years ago , fleet was 550, 135 & loader, 265, 590 & loader

590 always did the sugarbeet loading, & flat 8 work & field dung the 135 always did the cattle yards & chicken sheds  but then a rough manatou turned up & after a few weeks we couldnt believe how we'd done the previous jobs without it but all it really did was show how inadequate & clumsy tractors & loaders were back then.

Compared to what was is now available on the market we only had rear steer, a 3rd service (which was probably an option) a 2 speed Hi-Lo hydrostatic transmission & an am radio ! forget about a rear hitch , these things could hardly move themselves around let alone pull anything ! road work ..........forget it....... a half hour trip by tractor to get to some fields used to take nearly an hour with the handler !

i think JCB got it right with the loadalls, it had hydrostatic drive , but also had proper gear ranges , & believe me , you had to have either nerves of steel or brains of custard to want to try top speed in a 520............. wow the adrenilin rush was something else  :of  really the feeling of 'wow, i'm about to die' is quite unforgetable  :-\

hydrostatic transmission was also poor when it came to silage pits , the machines couldn't keep the oil cool enough to keep the machine operable, there was also the poor design for the machines work place , most handlers were derived from construction site specs, a sanderson 622 used on a farm near me always stopped on a silage pit because  it was ex site spec & wasn't built to be used on slopes , so the fuel pick up was always sucking air , took a while for the dealers at the time to sus the problem !

Back then tractors & handlers were built for specific jobs, now both tractors & handlers are built with the capability do do all jobs required of that machines build perameters. tractors & handlers have come on tremedously in the last 25/30 years & no doubt will still be ever changing for the better , but at the moment if you spec the machine to what you need, todays tractors & loaders are nearly every bit as good as todays handlers 

The first handler i saw back in 78 /79 was a sambron JS24 2wd single boom, no hitch & 3 attatchments , pallet forks , bucket & dung grab  i thought it was amazing ,

That takes me back - the first farm I worked on had a one (they had a JAC24 first, but it caught fire and they replaced it with a J24S).  Being a monoboom, it didn't have much reach, and although it had a 1.5 tonne grain bucket, it didn't reach high enough to tip into a lorry (you had to jerk the lever up and down and 'shake' the grain out  ::) ) but it was a vast improvement on shovelling by hand into a 6" auger  :) .  In the mid 80s Sambron started making a telescopic version (J24T), but I never had the opportunity to drive one of those.

That takes me back - the first farm I worked on had a one (they had a JAC24 first, but it caught fire and they replaced it with a J24S).  Being a monoboom, it didn't have much reach, and although it had a 1.5 tonne grain bucket, it didn't reach high enough to tip into a lorry (you had to jerk the lever up and down and 'shake' the grain out  ::) ) but it was a vast improvement on shovelling by hand into a 6" auger  :) .  In the mid 80s Sambron started making a telescopic version (J24T), but I never had the opportunity to drive one of those.

We had both versions and only sold the last one only last year. Loved the hydrostatic transmission much better than a torque converter.

its like anything that gets said here, a farmer can only buy what meets his specification, i know if we had a loader on a tractor we would be cutting it a bit fine loading the mixer and what not, but i would not mind getting a loader fitted to the bosses jd as its always handy when your loading bales or something